Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

A/C packs not cooling the RV

Hello folks,

Starting to de-winterize the RV in prep for the warmer seasons. Turning everything on and checking functions this week.

This morning I turned on the AC. Unfortunately, the temperature is not decreasing in the RV. Temps inside remain identical to outside ambient temps.

The control panel indicates both front and rear AC are powered and selected to cool. There is are coming from the overhead vents. The air is neither hot nor cold from the vents.

The ammeter near the control panel indicates 5-6 amps while the AC is selected on and 1 amp when it is off. The RV is on 30 amp shore power. I even fired up the generator to see if it had something to do with the power source. No change in symptoms.

All other electrical systems onboard have power and function normally.

Any thoughts?

2007 Fleetwood 38L diesel Bounder

Thanks!

Hal
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
5-6 amps = compressors are not running. Maybe the thermostat is set for fans on and inside temperature is already below thermostat setting. Maybe capacitors have died.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow View Post
Hello folks,

Starting to de-winterize the RV in prep for the warmer seasons. Turning everything on and checking functions this week.

This morning I turned on the AC. Unfortunately, the temperature is not decreasing in the RV. Temps inside remain identical to outside ambient temps.

The control panel indicates both front and rear AC are powered and selected to cool. There is are coming from the overhead vents. The air is neither hot nor cold from the vents.

The ammeter near the control panel indicates 5-6 amps while the AC is selected on and 1 amp when it is off. The RV is on 30 amp shore power. I even fired up the generator to see if it had something to do with the power source. No change in symptoms.

All other electrical systems onboard have power and function normally.

Any thoughts?

2007 Fleetwood 38L diesel Bounder

Thanks!

Hal
At 5-6 amps your compressors aren’t running. They draw around 12-15amps each depending on BTUs. A 13.5k btu should draw around 12amps. 15k closer to 14amps. So if both were on with you’d be near 30 with a few other items on.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hal,

Where are you located and what is the outdoor temp?

Since I live in IL my A/C compressors won't kick in unless the inside temp is about 4 degrees above what I set on the thermostat. The fan's will blow but no cooling.

I ramped mine up to 75 inside with the Aqua Hot and then turned on A/Cs and they started right up. Didn't run long as cooled down fast.

Hope yours is nothing more than mismatch on temps and you get them running right real soon.

Stay safe - Richard
Old 03-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #5

My thoughts are the same, the AC’s should have been drawing much more power.

The temps reached 82* here in north Texas and I set the thermostat to the lowest temp setting. Seems odd to me that neither compressor is activating. I wonder if there are any breakers or fuses internal to the AC packs that may need to be reset.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #6

You may need to reset the t-stat. Remove the 12 volt power and wait about 10 sec.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
My thoughts are the same, the AC’s should have been drawing much more power.

The temps reached 82* here in north Texas and I set the thermostat to the lowest temp setting. Seems odd to me that neither compressor is activating. I wonder if there are any breakers or fuses internal to the AC packs that may need to be reset.
There’s nothing in the units themselves to reset. The problem seems to be that the t-stat isn’t calling for cooling. If it’s an old enough model (2007 should be) to have an analog t-stat, it will have four wires to it: red is power, yellow is AC, green is fan, and white is heat. Connect (or jump) red and yellow and it should call for cooling and compressors should come on. Also make sure you have power at the thermostat while you’re there. If it has a grey it should be low fan, and a blue would be neg or ground.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #8

Thanks all, the troubleshooting continues.

I disconnected shore power for a day and turned the house battery switch to off in an attempt to reset. No luck.

Reconnected the shore power and no change.

I haven’t pulled the thermostat panel to test the wires on the back side. May attempt that today.

I did notice that the panel showing how many amps are bring pulled and what component is powered is not showing that the AC packs are powered. I’m not sure what that means.

Also, it doesn’t seem like the fridge will run on AC power only on AU/LP. It doesn’t seem the water heater is working on electric power either. I’ve checked and reset circuit breakers, no luck.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks all, the troubleshooting continues.

I disconnected shore power for a day and turned the house battery switch to off in an attempt to reset. No luck.

Reconnected the shore power and no change.

I haven’t pulled the thermostat panel to test the wires on the back side. May attempt that today.

I did notice that the panel showing how many amps are bring pulled and what component is powered is not showing that the AC packs are powered. I’m not sure what that means.

Also, it doesn’t seem like the fridge will run on AC power only on AU/LP. It doesn’t seem the water heater is working on electric power either. I’ve checked and reset circuit breakers, no luck.
Time to buy a voltmeter and learn how to use it.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:19 PM   #10

Thanks Cavie, any recommendations on where to begin testing voltage?

Thanks,

Hal
Old 03-29-2020, 03:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Cavie, any recommendations on where to begin testing voltage?

Thanks,

Hal
With all those issues popping up, I’d start at the transfer switch and then follow to the hot side of the breakers, then switched side, then power at the appliances. Or save some time and do it backwards for the appliance if you only have one not working.

But really pull the t-stat and make it call for cooling first. Might save a lot of time.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
With all those issues popping up, I’d start at the transfer switch and then follow to the hot side of the breakers, then switched side, then power at the appliances. Or save some time and do it backwards for the appliance if you only have one not working.

But really pull the t-stat and make it call for cooling first. Might save a lot of time.

Ok, will head back out to it this evening and pull the T-stat.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #13

Update:

I pulled the T-stat, removed power for 15 seconds and plugged it back in. No change in result. I set a colder temp than the ambient temp and the fans for both units come on. But only 6 amps being pulled on the load meter.

Additionally, there is a rainbow of wires (9 exactly) exiting the T-stat. Red, red with candy stripe, orange, yellow, purple, green, white, blue and blue with candy stripe. Not sure if they match the color coding mentioned earlier.

I’m starting to wonder if there isn’t a larger problem though. The 50 Amp Smart EMS Loadmeter has lights that display what components are powered. ie: water heater, refrigerator, AC #1, AC #2. None of the lights are illuminated.

I tried to turn the refrigerator on with AC power and the display on the refrigerator control panel says no AC available.

Also the electric water heater doesn’t pull any amps when selected on the control power.

Oddly, the microwave works normally.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #14

If the circuits behind your smart EMS system aren't powered, then the A/Cs aren't going to be either. I'm somewhat surprised that the fans would have separate power from the compressors, as that requires TWO power circuits to each roof air, but anything is possible. The EMS system in my old coach was an either/or system. If the AC was powered, the whole thing worked. If it wasn't, the whole thing was dead. There wasn't any option for just the fan.

I'd start by chasing the power from the breakers, see if there are two leads to the roof air and one of them is from the EMS. If you don't have power, it's obvious why it isn't working, and it SHOULD when the generator is on, unless the EMS system is what is at fault. Since multiple things (like the fridge) are not working on AC, it sounds like the problem is in the EMS.

Tags
cooling