Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #1

Angry AC ripple in DC line

I recently replaced my refrigerator with a Dometic 2+2. There is a very small ac ripple in the dc power supply to the unit. The electronic controls are unable to cope with this ripple and continually malfunction. Any suggestions as how to remove/filter out the ripple?

I just found a 1990 thread that provided my answer... thanks to those who responded. Jim
JTFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 10:30 AM   #2

How small? How did you measure it?

If it were mine, I'd just design a capacitance multiplier and attach that to the incoming supply. But only after 'scoping it and seeing what I would be dealing with.

Where is the ripple coming from?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #3

What is supplying the DC Voltage to the fridge?\

Sounds like a 'converter'.
Converter uses AC IN and produces DC Out.
Converters produce 'dirty' DC and 'Clean' DC
Dirty is direct unfiltered
Clean is Filtered using capacitors............that source should be used for fridge/water heater/furnace/AC controls due to the 'electronics' (circuit boards)

AC Ripple can be easily tested fof when on AC Shore Power

Voltmeter set to low scale AC Voltage
Measure DC Voltage going to the Fridge Circuit Board at the Terminal Block
Voltage you will be reading is the AC Ripple

2001 .....old converter -----time to upgrade

No Converter...........
Then it is the Charging Section of your Inverter causing the AC Ripple.
Same problem......Bad Capacitor in Inverter Charger

2001...time to upgrade Inverter
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFreeman View Post
I recently replaced my refrigerator with a Dometic 2+2. There is a very small ac ripple in the dc power supply to the unit. The electronic controls are unable to cope with this ripple and continually malfunction. Any suggestions as how to remove/filter out the ripple?
Make sure your battery disconnect switch is on. The older converter needs the batteries to "smooth" out that dirty ripple.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
What is supplying the DC Voltage to the fridge?\

Sounds like a 'converter'.
Converter uses AC IN and produces DC Out.
Converters produce 'dirty' DC and 'Clean' DC
Dirty is direct unfiltered
Clean is Filtered using capacitors............that source should be used for fridge/water heater/furnace/AC controls due to the 'electronics' (circuit boards)

AC Ripple can be easily tested fof when on AC Shore Power

Voltmeter set to low scale AC Voltage
Measure DC Voltage going to the Fridge Circuit Board at the Terminal Block
Voltage you will be reading is the AC Ripple

2001 .....old converter -----time to upgrade

No Converter...........
Then it is the Charging Section of your Inverter causing the AC Ripple.
Same problem......Bad Capacitor in Inverter Charger

2001...time to upgrade Inverter
I'm sure you are correct on upgrading my inverter/charger however i found an old thread that provided another solution. Thank you for responding. Jim
Old 11-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
How small? How did you measure it?

If it were mine, I'd just design a capacitance multiplier and attach that to the incoming supply. But only after 'scoping it and seeing what I would be dealing with.

Where is the ripple coming from?
Inverter/charger. Just found my answer in an old thread (1990). Thanks for responding. Jim
Old 11-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #7

Quote:
I'm sure you are correct on upgrading my inverter/charger however i found an old thread that provided another solution. Thank you for responding. Jim
Quote:
Inverter/charger. Just found my answer in an old thread (1990). Thanks for responding. Jim

So how about sharing that info .....others might find it as a solution for them also
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

And the answer was?
Old 11-17-2019, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by F451degrees View Post
And the answer was?
Hi Greg, i just found this thread in one of my RV Forums. It reads like the "fix" I'm looking for on my refrigerator problem. Is ths something you can help with while you are in Pensacola?

I have had similar problems with the board issues from AC ripple on the DC line. I have installed 12 volt noise filters in line with the 12 volt power circuit (like those for CB radios) and have had great results. Noise generally is caused by a noisey converter or a fluorescent light ballast board failure. Generally the 110 Volt fuse blowing is caused by a defective 110V heating element. If your unit is a 50 amp shore power a loose nuetral (white wire) will cause excessive AC voltage into your unit causing failures.
‐------------------------
The noise filter contains a capacitor and coil internally. It has a negative and positive DC input and output. The negative and positive wires at the rear of the fridge control board are to be connected to the input of the noise filter and the output filter wires connect to the fridge. It is a inline device that can be purchased from most car stereo installation facilities. It should be rated for a minimum of 10 amps DC.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:19 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah, I'm curious too what the converter is and how the ripple was measured. I can't imagine a 2001 36' rig having a basic transformer/rectifier converter that requires batteries for filtering. I also can't see a switching converter putting out line frequency ripple, even the old ones switched at kHz frequencies. So there's a few moving parts to the problem I'd be wanting to know about before I just put a band-aid filter on it. I had to rebuild the converter in my 2005, the capacitors in it were bulging and leaking. Just making the point that if a 2005 converter was giving up, a 2001 probably isn't better.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #11

Many older converters back in the day specifically warned against operating the converter without a 'load' battery for anything other then short periods. I remember reading it for my '94 Bounder and I wouldn't be surprised it if wasn't the rule of the day for other brands. I assumed that doing so would increase both the DC output voltage and AC ripple to potentially destructive levels. This could affect many of the control boards in the RV designed for no more than 15 volt which I found had little in the way of protective circuitry. Even some incandescent light bulbs don't care for overvoltage.

Reverse engineered several RV control boards, and often found that there was poor overvoltage protection, much less then I would have designed in.

There's many economical converter/charger designs that use the battery as a filter, saves on parts. It is just a big capacitor after all. I still follow the 'don't use the converter without a battery' rule on my newer '02 rig and when helping friends with their RVs. But I've never tested for ripple either. Someday...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Back in the 80's and early 90's, AC ripple was a common problem. It's conceivable a 2001 Discovery still has a inverter/converter/charger that is a bit sloppy with the DC power output, but most by then were pretty decent. As I recall, the Discovery used a Heart inverter and they were never known to have a ripple problem. Nor was AC interference a known and common problem on Discoveries. I'd be looking for other sources of the ripple, maybe fluorescent lighting or some add-on gadget.

On the other hand, if the noise filter works, it may not be worth hunting down the source.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #13

I don't know where the ripple originates but we came up with a temporary solution. We simply disconnected the Dometic from the originsl 12 vdc power supply and installed a simple 12 vdc power supply from an auto parts store. This has worked fine for the past 11 months however when unplugged from shore power there is no eady way to get 110 to power the the unit. I am noe looking to reconnect the on board 12vdc power supply and use a Powerwerk DC Line Filter to clean 12vdc.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #14

Quote:
I don't know where the ripple originates but we came up with a temporary solution. We simply disconnected the Dometic from the originsl 12 vdc power supply and installed a simple 12 vdc power supply from an auto parts store. This has worked fine for the past 11 months however when unplugged from shore power there is no eady way to get 110 to power the the unit. I am noe looking to reconnect the on board 12vdc power supply and use a Powerwerk DC Line Filter to clean 12vdc.
Do you get noise on the batteries alone / not plugged in?
If no noise unplugged-you could use a double pole double throw 120v relay in a little different manner than usual . Both commons on relay to fridge wires , both NC to battery lines and both PS wires to NO . Goes without saying. get the neg and pos right on all 6 connections . Connect the coil to same 120v source as PS is plugged into.. Tiny 12v ATS.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote