Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

AC won' run off of Generator

Took a power spike this morning and now the AC's will not work when I run the generator. They work fine on shore power but the minute I unplug shore power and kick on the generator they quit. Inverter panel says it's waiting on AC. My best guess is I have a transer switch problem, right or wrong. Keep in mind I can barely spell electricity. Thanks in advance for your input.
Last One is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
KIX

Yes sir......I too would look at the transfer switch.......
A lot of transfer switches default to the generator so that being said you may just have a stuck transfer. You may be able to tap it pretty sharply and free it
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like a blown fuse/circuit in the power control to a bad transfer switch. Time to get out the volt-ohm meter and start tracking down the power dead end.

Might help to post what type RV, power center and generator we are dealing with here.

Welcome to iRV2

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I think you are correct that it is the transfer switch. If you don't have surge protection on your coach, the spike may have melted the switch contacts which would cause it not to be able to switch to the generator. You can probably see that if you open the transfer switch box and look at the contacts.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #5

Maybe not the problem but a good idea to check the circuit breakers on the generator itself.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #6

Hi, and Welcome to iRV2.
Power Transfer Switch , is a real possibility. Use caution when testing; disconnect from power/ gen set off, open switch housing, and if it smells burnt it probably is .
Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Before leaping to the conclusion that it is the ATS, reset the breakers on the generator itself.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I believe you should first turn off your roof AC before switching power sources. Your post seems to indicate that you just unplug shore power and start the generator while the AC is running?

My rig has a 45 second power delay before the generator will provide current to the coach. Do as others have advised. Check the breakers on the generator, and the breakers in your 120v power panel.

Do you have power at the outlets serviced by your inverter, or no 110v power to your rig at all when on the generator?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I believe you should first turn off your roof AC before switching power sources. Your post seems to indicate that you just unplug shore power and start the generator while the AC is running?

My rig has a 45 second power delay before the generator will provide current to the coach. Do as others have advised. Check the breakers on the generator, and the breakers in your 120v power panel.

Do you have power at the outlets serviced by your inverter, or no 110v power to your rig at all when on the generator?
Circuit breaker was not thrown on the generator, unplugged power cord before starting generator and then tried to run the air conditioners. Plugged in another small fan to check the AC and it acted like it was only running on reduced power. Checked all the AC breakers and they were fine. Not aware of any other breakers to check.
Last One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #10

If your small fan was acting like it was running on reduced power maybe it was. Sounds like time to check the generator output voltage right at the generator.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Last One,
Welcome to iRV2. This is easy to start the diagnosis. Get a meter, pop the cover on the ATS and check the VAC outbound from the ATS when running the generator. If you have 120 VAC on both legs, the problem is elsewhere. If you do not have 120 VAC on both legs, then check the input (both legs) to the ATS, while running the generator.

If you have the correct power coming into the ATS and incorrect power outbound from the ATS, the problem is the ATS.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator