Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #1

Acrylic outside door handle repair

Our illuminated handle broke in 1/2 some months ago and I waited until our snowbird trip this year to order a new one from Newmar.
I found out they’re no longer available, at least the Newmar monogrammed one, others may be on eBay.
I read up on acrylic repair on the internet and found acetone works for melting the 2 halves together.
I previously tried epoxy but it snapped apart soon after I did that.
The problem is acetone evaporates quickly so a syringe is required to inject it in the gap between the 2 halves. Also I didn’t want to buy a litre ( quart) of acetone for a small repair.
After some more research I found Goof Off is mostly acetone.
I bought a $3 squeeze can with a small nozzle already on it and”injected” it into the gap between the 2 halves.
So far good success, it’s held for the last 2 weeks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2019, 12:56 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks. I'll have to remember that one.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:57 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might want to check these folks out. They may still furnish replacement handles and they did monogram too for a small fee.

Brite Bar Handles Archives - Fleming Sales OEM | Elkhart, IN

jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fingernail polish remover.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #5

I should add when I called Newmar they were kind enough to ship a chrome replacement for free! Unfortunately it requires a bit of grinding on one end to make it fit.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I replaced mine from this company. Newmar sent me the chrome replacement but I didn't care for it. My replacement is 4 years old and looks great.

https://www.flemingsalesoem.com/prod...raight-handle/

Had it engraved too.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
Our illuminated handle broke in 1/2 some months ago and I waited until our snowbird trip this year to order a new one from Newmar.
I found out they’re no longer available, at least the Newmar monogrammed one, others may be on eBay.
I read up on acrylic repair on the internet and found acetone works for melting the 2 halves together.
I previously tried epoxy but it snapped apart soon after I did that.
The problem is acetone evaporates quickly so a syringe is required to inject it in the gap between the 2 halves. Also I didn’t want to buy a litre ( quart) of acetone for a small repair.
After some more research I found Goof Off is mostly acetone.
I bought a $3 squeeze can with a small nozzle already on it and”injected” it into the gap between the 2 halves.
So far good success, it’s held for the last 2 weeks!

There is a acrylic cement just for acrylic. It welds or bonds the two pieces together without much of a seam.

http://www.delviesplastics.com/p/Weld_On_3.html
RWDJR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:47 PM   #8

I would be concerned about the repaired handle being strong and not breaking again. We were at a camp ground where a older gentleman handles broke and set him to the hospital. I would take strength over looks. Considering getting a new one and have your name engraved on it.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This thread got me thinking that I needed to go ahead and order a new handle as mine is showing some cracks. So, I ordered a new one last night. Ran about $31 with the shipping and engraving from Fleming.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #10

When my handle broke I went to a plastic distributer and bought a 5 foot round bar. I cut a form the shape of the handle .I cut a length of bar and heated it in the toaster oven till it was soft.I then put it into the form and let it cool.A little fine tuning on the ends and I have a new handle with enough bar for three more handles if needed.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:19 AM   #11

Mine broke, For a temp fix I removed it and drilled each piece and put a pin in it , worked ok but still have not replaced it. Mine is not monogrammed or lit so I am thinking of getting a piece of stainless pipe the same diameter and cutting and bending it to fit where the acrylic piece was, will look good I believe.
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, door, repair