Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2021, 03:38 PM   #29
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Important to note that the video says ACC reduces rear end collisions by over 40%. This translates to ... it doesn't work 50+% of the time.
Adaptive Cruise Control was never marketed as an Automatic Emergency Braking system. Its operation is smooth as opposed to abrupt so 40% is understandable, especially in dynamic traffic conditions.

ACC has some non-obvious limitations. For example, if you're following a car into a curve at a slower speed, as soon as the other car clears the turn the ACC can floor it even though you're still in the turn. Another is that there has to be a vehicle in front of you. It will happily blow a red light or a stop sign or a crosswalk just as a regular cruise control will.

The manual on both cars I've had with ACC say the same thing as regular cruise control, do not use it in inclement weather. It does not care about ice, rain, or fog, just speed and whether something is in front of you.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2021, 04:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Iím sure some think itís beneficial. I donít like my vehicle thinking for me and you canít idiot proof driving, so Iím in the second category. Itís an expensive option, completely unnecessary, and probably either an annoyance if you use it, or a waste of $$ if you donít. For those that like it, great! Just not my cup of tea.

For a little background, this is old technology that is just now creeping into vehicle manufacturing. The article below is about a successful but ultimately unpopular automated highway project. My wife was an EEE and managed a good deal of the consortium as well as ďDemo Ď97Ē in the article below. It was interesting, and fun riding in automated vehicles, but I just prefer to drive.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publication...uly/demo97.cfm

My wife in 1997: "Of course, the technical content has to be there, but educating our stakeholders is also a big part of the success of the demo," says Terry Quinlan, NAHSC test and demonstration manager. "Once highway users understand the true benefits of AHS, they're likely to become excited about its potential and look forward to deployment of near-term AHS technologies such as intelligent cruse control, collision warning systems, and lane departure detection."

Interesting that ďnear termĒ turned out to be about 20 years, but most of the technologies demonstrated in 1997 have found their way into a variety of vehicles these days. In some applications it can be very worthwhile, but to me, adaptive cruise control seems to me to be a poor fit for motorhomes.
RWold, the "smart road" and the current active cruise systems are completely different. The Smart Road requires huge infrastructure changes that IMHO won't ever happen. Active Cruise and current autonomous systems rely on sensors and algorithms built into the vehicle. Very different.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:16 PM   #31

My new Volvo sedan has Adaptive Cruise Control and I like it and use it. In the old coach iím Not sure it would be as useful since I drive 60-65 mph on the highway and seldom find myself gaining on another vehicle. I think the ACC usually has an adaptive mode as well as standard cruise control.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:48 PM   #32

I have a 2020 Dutch Star with adaptive cruise control and It is ABOLUTELY essential. I would not buy a coach if it didnít have it!! It works FLAWLESSLY and will keep you from following anyone too closely. More importantly, that one time you look away for just a second and someone pulls in front of you and slams on their brakes, you will see how important it is to have. Get it, itís worth it!
bdbsenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbsenji View Post
I have a 2020 Dutch Star with adaptive cruise control and It is ABOLUTELY essential. I would not buy a coach if it didnít have it!! It works FLAWLESSLY and will keep you from following anyone too closely. More importantly, that one time you look away for just a second and someone pulls in front of you and slams on their brakes, you will see how important it is to have. Get it, itís worth it!

Did you order it this way and if so how much was the option?
Old 02-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
RWold, the "smart road" and the current active cruise systems are completely different. The Smart Road requires huge infrastructure changes that IMHO won't ever happen. Active Cruise and current autonomous systems rely on sensors and algorithms built into the vehicle. Very different.
I haven’t heard the term “smart road” but that probably came along after AHS, maybe from the media. AHS used magnetic flux devices installed in the Bott’s dots in the roadway (hence it, or maybe some other technology, getting named smart road), which of course is totally obsolete now, but it used cameras and a forward looking radar and IR for collision avoidance. GPS wasn’t accurate enough 20+ years ago, hence magnets and camera systems for guidance.

But modern collision avoidance grew out of the developments demonstrated way back then. The vehicles were loaded with sensors and the platoon of Buicks had their trunks packed with electronics - stuff that would fit in a cigar box now. They rolled along hands and feet free, a couple meters off the bumper of the next car at 62mph, guided by the magnets in the road, and maintaining spacing precisely and safety, primarily by radar. One other very interesting demonstration (of many) was a bright red Corvette pulling in front of a Freightliner tractor and slowing down suddenly - the big rig changed lanes and went around safely and effortlessly, without inputs from the driver.

The consortium included CalTrans, The UC system, Carnegie Mellon, Bechtel, GM, Delco, Toyota, BMW, Volvo, Martin, Lockheed, Huston Metro (they were working on automated busses and demonstrated that), Freightliner, NHTSA, and others I can’t remember.

The Feds (and hence federal money) abandoned the automated highways concept because “the public wasn’t ready”, but the technologies demonstrated have survived in other forms, including adaptive cruise control, back-up cameras with warning systems, etc. Also road striping rigs that use camera technology to paint the stripes in the right place while driving, and crack sealing rigs that seal cracks on the fly. I’m sure there’s lots of other examples.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
Did you order it this way and if so how much was the option?
I purchased my Dutch Star off of the lot, according to the sticker, it was a $7600 option. The option also includes emergency braking, which is also very effective and a VERY useful safety feature. It also, works flawlessly ie no unneeded braking. The entire system really increases your confidence driving in heavy traffic. Another positive regarding the adaptive cruise, is that you are not constantly kicking it off when traffic dictates as old regular cruise controls required. It will dutifully maintain a following distance of the car in front of you or the speed at which you have set.
bdbsenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbsenji View Post
I purchased my Dutch Star off of the lot, according to the sticker, it was a $7600 option. The option also includes emergency braking, which is also very effective and a VERY useful safety feature. It also, works flawlessly ie no unneeded braking. The entire system really increases your confidence driving in heavy traffic. Another positive regarding the adaptive cruise, is that you are not constantly kicking it off when traffic dictates as old regular cruise controls required. It will dutifully maintain a following distance of the car in front of you or the speed at which you have set.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #37
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The other very useful feature of the ACC, at least with VORAD, is the side sensors that monitor your blind spots. In my view, this is very important in driving a MH as it has long blind spots on both sides. I just updated my 2005 Navigator's sensor, around $1,200.
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:28 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Eaton Vorad smart cruise in our 2004 coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I have VORAD Adaptive Cruise Control in my 2007 Monaco Coach. It is wonderful, IMHO. I have used it for 5 years and liked it so much I made sure my new Ram truck had it. It will slow and if needed it will apply the Jake Brake and then speed up again when there is enough spacing.

The new units may have different software which acts more abruptly. That would be annoying. My old one works smoothly.
We also have the Eaton Vorad smart cruise in our 2004 Monaco Coach. We love it. Initially, it takes some getting used to as it will slow down so gradually you don't realize yourself keeping pace with a slow car in front. You learn to just move over to the next lane and it will speed up and pass the slow car.
Ours will also warn you when someone is in your blind spots.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, cruise control, newmar