Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2021, 08:25 AM   #1

Adaptive cruise control on Newmars

Looking at 2020 Newmars and some have the Adaptive cruise control. Question is, is this option worth it or is it just another thing to go wrong when you don’t need it. Owners comments would be appreciated.
beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I’m sure some think it’s beneficial. I don’t like my vehicle thinking for me and you can’t idiot proof driving, so I’m in the second category. It’s an expensive option, completely unnecessary, and probably either an annoyance if you use it, or a waste of $$ if you don’t. For those that like it, great! Just not my cup of tea.

For a little background, this is old technology that is just now creeping into vehicle manufacturing. The article below is about a successful but ultimately unpopular automated highway project. My wife was an EEE and managed a good deal of the consortium as well as “Demo ‘97” in the article below. It was interesting, and fun riding in automated vehicles, but I just prefer to drive.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publication...uly/demo97.cfm

My wife in 1997: "Of course, the technical content has to be there, but educating our stakeholders is also a big part of the success of the demo," says Terry Quinlan, NAHSC test and demonstration manager. "Once highway users understand the true benefits of AHS, they're likely to become excited about its potential and look forward to deployment of near-term AHS technologies such as intelligent cruse control, collision warning systems, and lane departure detection."

Interesting that “near term” turned out to be about 20 years, but most of the technologies demonstrated in 1997 have found their way into a variety of vehicles these days. In some applications it can be very worthwhile, but to me, adaptive cruise control seems to me to be a poor fit for motorhomes.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #3

Mine is a 2003 40 ft Newmar on a Spartan chassis. It has an excellent cruise control, excellent ride quality, excellent power steering and directional stability. Overall, it's far from perfect. If I could afford it I would buy a new one, a NEWELL, and put up with the modern stuff. It's like I love LearJets, but would prefer a Gulfstream V .....
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:03 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Alert driving "using brain power" will always do better. I've avoided hundreds of potential accidents and drove motorcycles for 50 years without any major accident. Minor yes.
If you anticipate (meaning you can't fix stupid) and drive slower than those around you too can live longer.
Safety devices help when your "stupid".
Some accidents are not avoidable but keep the think between ears working.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #5

This thread will be worth a read .

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/on-g...es-494863.html

JMHO: To much computer control of the vehicle .
Old 01-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #6

Well, as opposed to the previous posters, we have adaptive cruise control on our 2018 Toyota Corolla (which is our toad) and I love it. I like to use cruise control almost all the time, and it just gives me a sense of security that I don't have when I drive our other car that does not have it. I certainly don't ignore road conditions and depend on it solely, but it is a great comfort to me to have its little radar looking out as backup for me! And--- lets face it if you use regular cruise control you have a computer controlling your car anyway.
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #7

I would Google the adaptive Cruise Control in the Trucking industry. It seem to work good in cars but when a car cut off a truck with adaptive Cruise Control the truck slows down to maintain the distance or separation. When you are driving you may wait a second or 2 to see that the car does before you take action. So think about how many times car cut you short then zoom on off.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #8

Regular cruise control is fine. But i dont even like the other even in a car let alone a Coach .
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:09 PM   #9

We like it in our cars. You still need to pay attention, but maintaining a safe distance is one less thing to worry about.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have VORAD Adaptive Cruise Control in my 2007 Monaco Coach. It is wonderful, IMHO. I have used it for 5 years and liked it so much I made sure my new Ram truck had it. It will slow and if needed it will apply the Jake Brake and then speed up again when there is enough spacing.

The new units may have different software which acts more abruptly. That would be annoying. My old one works smoothly.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The ACC seems to work well on cars, but has some growing pains on RV's. I think in another few years, it will be readily available on RV's and work well. I wouldn't mind having it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
I have VORAD Adaptive Cruise Control in my 2007 Monaco Coach. It is wonderful, IMHO. I have used it for 5 years and liked it so much I made sure my new Ram truck had it. It will slow and if needed it will apply the Jake Brake and then speed up again when there is enough spacing. It ignores a much faster vehicle pulling in, even if faiirly close.

The new units may have different software which acts more abruptly. That would be annoying. My old one works smoothly.
X2 as my 08 Navigator has it too...took a little getting used to and learning how to override it. When a vehicle going slightly faster than you pulls back in, usually a truck, it slows you down to get the separation it wants. Figured out that putting a little pressure on the throttle overrides it until the truck gets far enough ahead.

In 20K miles it’s been ahead of me one time...PU with no brake lights slowed to turn and it beeped me before I realized the decreasing closing distance. Even when not on cruise it will beep me when it doesn’t like what’s happening...getting on the bumper of the idiot in front at a stoplight.

I did test it to see if it really would put the Jake Brake on, it will. Pulled in behind a truck going a lot slower at about 50’, the Jake slowed me down to less than his speed.

Even the shortest of the 3 adjustable distances is further back than what I like...probably a good thing. Yes it’s part of the dumbing down and no I wouldn’t pay the $6K for it but I do use it mainly on the Interstates. It also comes with blind spot sensors.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have ICC on my Gladiator and think its great. Use it all the time on the open road and highways that have less traffic. Probably wouldn't be so good between Macon and Atlanta on a weekday afternoon.

My coach doesn't have it but when traveling across west Texas or South Dakota I think it would be great.

A few years back a gentleman driving a large class A ran into the back of one our company vans. They were traveling at 65 MPH on I-295 around Jacksonville. Nobody was hurt and only a few thousand dollars of damage but intelligent cruise would have prevented it.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
I’m sure some think it’s beneficial.
I don’t like my vehicle thinking for me.
For those that like it, great! Just not my cup of tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Alert driving "using brain power" will always do better.
Some accidents are not avoidable but keep the think between ears working.

Tags
ada, cruise control, newmar