Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Add a desk for the DW ?

Hi all,
Owning a class "C" and looking to move up(?) to a class "A", the DW and I have certain desires. I must have a driver's door and she must have a seat in the shower.
That's the "MUSTS" Now the wishes...........

The DW would like to have one of those pull out desks in / on the dash, for her laptop, OR to use as a lunch tray.

I've seen them both "molded in" as part of the dash, AND I've seen them as what appears to be a "bolt on" unit.

Personally, I think they are a great idea and several coach builders are missing the boat by not including them, whether we use them or no, it just seems like a nice touch. and their addition really would not hurt their bottom line.

SO......The question is, wanting this feature, are we limited to certain makes / models OR when you bought yours was it a consideration ?

OR did you add one to your coach ? If so where did you get it ?

Mike in Colorado
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Hi all,
Owning a class "C" and looking to move up(?) to a class "A", the DW and I have certain desires. I must have a driver's door and she must have a seat in the shower.
That's the "MUSTS" Now the wishes...........

The DW would like to have one of those pull out desks in / on the dash, for her laptop, OR to use as a lunch tray.

I've seen them both "molded in" as part of the dash, AND I've seen them as what appears to be a "bolt on" unit.

Personally, I think they are a great idea and several coach builders are missing the boat by not including them, whether we use them or no, it just seems like a nice touch. and their addition really would not hurt their bottom line.

SO......The question is, wanting this feature, are we limited to certain makes / models OR when you bought yours was it a consideration ?

OR did you add one to your coach ? If so where did you get it ?

Mike in Colorado
Had the same idea at 1 time. My gasser had the built in type but my now DP didn't have anything. This is what I did: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/cap...le-486434.html. We never had to take the table top off as it swivels all around. When entering the coach, we push the table towards the interior of the seat. When underway, and my DW wants to get up, she pushes it towards the entry door and then stands up. One of the best upgrades we've done. PS, DW was very skeptical while I was building this. Now, she couldn't live with out it.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #3

Hi Mike. Start by searching for Class A's with a driver's side door. There aren't many and I don't immediately recall any recent (last 4 or 5 years) models that do.

Once you have a list of suitable units, a shower can likely be replaced and the co-pilot area can be customized. It will only take a thick application of cash!

Seriously, the door is the primary limiting factor. You might consider looking as Class A units with a mid-ship door - not common but I recall more co-pilot friendly cockpits in some of them. I'm guessing that you want to keep DW in her seat when you need to exit the coach?

Good luck in your search and let us know what you're finding.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are looking in the 2009 - 2014/15 range and for a class "A" gasser, in the 34 -38 ft. range.
Would like to have 19.5 tires as opposed to 22.5's due to $$$$$.
Certain models of Winnies and Alegro's have most of the features we're looking for, but they all seem to come with the V-10 Ford motor. Not really a fan of Ford, but I guess it's not a deal breaker. Would love to have a Chevy V8 though. That and an Allison 6 speed would seal the deal !!!!

Mike in Colorado
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
We are looking in the 2009 - 2014/15 range and for a class "A" gasser, in the 34 -38 ft. range.
Certain models of Winnies and Alegro's have most of the features we're looking for, but they all seem to come with the V-10 Ford motor. Not really a fan of Ford, but I guess it's not a deal breaker. Would love to have a Chevy V8 though. That and an Allison 6 speed would seal the deal !!!!

Mike in Colorado
Well part of the problem is that Chev/Workhorse haven't been in the motor home chassis business years.

Your choice on the wheel size, I guess, but I like mine fine.

The V-10 is good and reliable, people just get bothered by the scream. The 6-speed transmission that came out in 2016 is great. But now the V-10 is going away and has been replaced by a V-8.

Now about your dash tray. My 2016 Bounder has one and it is great. My wife worked remotely for 28 years. When we got the Bounder she started sitting at the dinette but the table was to high for her. She moved to the passenger seat and wouldn't leave till she shut down for the day.

Now she did miss the three monitors at home and we talked about rigging another one up in the MH, but she decided to tough it out till she retired.

Oh, the door. I too wanted one but like the salesman said "One less thing to rattle and shake, one less place for a leak."
Old 12-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:

Mike in Colorado
If you can fix things (don't have to be an expert) and are not living off of every nickel, go with the diesel. We started with a 2003 30ft Monaco Monarch 8.1 V8 with a tow car. Going up grades and coming down is simply not a pleasant experience, period. Anyone disagreeing is lying. Going up over an 8% pass with the motor screaming over 4000rpm in 2nd gear, then coming down the same rpm and gear, but trying to feather the brakes as best you can (so you don't smoke them out), isn't any fun. Step up to a diesel where the engine is in the back (no noise) and you have at minimum a 2 stage engine brake (not going to smoke the brakes), and you can actually have a very fun driving experience!
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #7

On that driver's door idea, I think you need to find a unit that has one and try getting in and out a few times with out falling on your a$$. You may find you can live without one.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I hate to say it, but the items you want are still out there, but probably hard to find and not all of them are on any one vehicle. The driver's door was not popular and was problematic with air leaks. The GM chassis is getting scarce and people prefer the 22.5 tires or the 19's because of the ride. You're really looking for all the worse features RV's have had over the years.

The good news is, the shower seat should be around.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote