RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 10:54 PM   #1

Add power to V-10

I have a Tiffin Allegro Open Rd 34TGA with V10. prev had dsl pusher. I need more hill power. Any suggestions or am I just going to get used to crawling up hills? Think cold air intake. Anybody out there with success with increases in torque or HP? Appreciate any help. Thx

Pbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 12:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
A cold air intake won’t do anything for you. The gains are measurable but minimal (less than 10hp at max rpm) and no real gain in torque. And you don’t want to be running at 5000+rpm anyway. The stock intake will flow more CFM than the motor can use. All you can feasibly do is add a more open exhaust and a tuner like 5-star.

The exhaust (cat back) will help it breath some and the tune will help stay in a higher gear longer, but you have to remember to shut off cruise to utilize it, and it won’t be remarkable. It will just mean you don’t have to downshift as far on the mild grades or as soon on the steep ones, but you’ll never get the torque you need to pull grades without slowing down.

So in the long run it’s probably not worth doing any of it. It helps, but not that much and not enough to “solve” the problem.

R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:05 AM   #3

If your Tiffin has the 4 or 5 speed transmission, then consider getting the 5 Star Tune. I think the modification to the shifting points is very good and think it's a great upgrade. But, I'm not saying that you will be flying up the hills as you just have to let the V10 do it's work. I've only been in the mountains of Pennsylvania so far with our Bay Star, so I don't have any Ford V10 experience with the mountains out west, but I hope to in the next year or so!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 05:17 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Other than headers there isn't much. Bolt on stuff will only get you a few percent of extra power if the engine management computer doesn't over ride what ever you added.

What might help is to start loosing weight by dumping stuff you think you might need but never or rarely use once set up at the camp site. Take a hard look at all the stuff you carry and use a two (other pick a number) month rule. Don't use it in the last two months you don't need it on every trip.

Do you really need a 300 piece mechanics tool kit when a couple of screw drivers, vice grips and an adjustable stripper will do? How much potable water is in the tank? 100 gallons to cover the four hour drive to your favorite full service camp ground? The three burner Camp Chef grill with all the options necessary to feed a moderate size Boy Scout Troop but there are only two of you in the coach? Crock pot, air fryer, toaster oven, four slice bread toaster, Kitchen Aid stand mixer and a portable ice maker is all part of your kitchen hard wear load out? To you really need the toad for a weekend at the beach?

I'll grant you that I'm embellishing a bit, well maybe a lot, but all the stuff we end up caring adds up.

Also has your travel partner been collecting rocks at every stop along the way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The-Long-Long-Trailer-jpg.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	291495  
Old 06-30-2020, 05:31 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Sweetbriar is 100% on the mark. I removed a 12x12 patio rug that was used once in three years and a portable fire pit that was never used. along with other items I estimate 170lbs. Couldn't talk myself into removing some tools. I'm sure I can find more.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #6

I have a 2012 with the V-10 engine. I have found that using this seems to give us a little more power and higher MPG:

https://lucasoil.com/media/k2/galler...t2_800x950.jpg

It may be a mental thing, but I think it helps.
Pacman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pbauer-

Ford rates the 3-valve V-10 in your 2009 at 362 horsepower and 457 foot-pounds of torque. That HP rating is the highest of the V-10s put in the F-53 chassis. The transmission is a five-speed.

I have tried the 5star product on our coach, with the same drivetrain as yours. The coach "felt" faster off a stop, but I did not notice any improvement in long uphill hauls.

Are you towing? If so, what are you towing?

Do you use the Ford Tow/Haul feature?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #8

Just get used to it . Nothing can compare to the power of a DP.
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Pbauer-

Ford rates the 3-valve V-10 in your 2009 at 362 horsepower and 457 foot-pounds of torque. That HP rating is the highest of the V-10s put in the F-53 chassis. The transmission is a five-speed.

I have tried the 5star product on our coach, with the same drivetrain as yours. The coach "felt" faster off a stop, but I did not notice any improvement in long uphill hauls.

Are you towing? If so, what are you towing?

Just as a point of reference, in one of the countless threads I’ve read here, someone (one of the more mechanically credible members) wrote that the newer lower HP rating is a result of measuring it at a lower RPM and both versions (the other one is 320?) out of the same HP.

Do you use the Ford Tow/Haul feature?
Just as a point of reference, in one of the countless threads I’ve read here, someone (one of the more mechanically credible members) wrote that the newer lower HP rating is a result of measuring it at a lower RPM and both versions (the other one is 320?) out of the same HP.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:00 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
i have the 8.1 v8 chevy big block i did the whole banks power kit intake headers shorter exhaust with tuner hi-flow cats 5k installed gives stock crank numbers at the rear wheels mpg is 5 but that is towing the trailer loaded
Old 06-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a Minnie Winnie 31' class C and added the Banks Power Pak and TransCommand. While thee was no seat of the pants feel, it did pull hill better and seemed to have more mid-range torque for the hills.

Ken
Old 06-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #12
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
What year F53 chassis is this? Unfortunately, WYSIWYG

Cold air - Your intake is in a location so you're already getting the coldest air possible. Besides, unless you're able to reduce the air temperature by 30, 40, 50 degrees, I doubt you'd see any increase because of the cooler air being more dense. Later model V10's were very good at airflow, but could probably see some improvement with headers.

IMPROVEMENTS - On mine, I did see (estimating) about a 10% increase in HP when I added headers. HOWEVER, This was an early model non-pi engine that begged to have better airflow.

http://www.1999southwind.com/upgrade...-fuel-economy/

RPMs is your friend. thats what makes HP, and thats where the torque curve is.

I have the original 2 valve, non-pi V10 that puts out about 270 hp. With my 4 speed transmission, when climbing hills, I like to see the rpms in the 3500 - 4000 range when climbing. This often requires that I force the downshift by manually shifting, and don't allow it to upshift until I'm at the top of the hill.

I'm pretty good at judging if I'll need a downshift when starting a climb. and if the hills aren't to steep, I'll just drop it out of 4th and leave the cruise control on.

ALTITUDE

You are used to a Diesel, these have a turbo charger that compress the air when operating at high altitudes, This means your 300 hp diesel at sea level can also deliver 300 hp at 12,000 ft altitude.

Not so with the V10. it doesn't have a turbo charger. so the 300 hp V10 at sea level can only produce about 200 hp at 12,000 ft.

On the high altitude, steep climbs (i.e. eastbound I-70, Eisenhower tunnel), I often find myself creeping up the mountain in 1st gear, 25 mph, at 4,000 rpm.

I don't like operating with the gas pedal on the floor for to long, This means your getting the max power for whatever the rpm is. the only way to increase power is to (if you can) force a downshift to get the higher rpm, and thus more hp.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #13

get a turbo install. l.. better yet superchargers are better
Old 06-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #14

Last week I did the Grapevine, Shasta and Siskiyou mountains on I-5 coming north.

Most of these long inclines I was able to do at 48 t0 55 MPH with no issue. I am driving a 2008 Fleetwood 32 Terra with a V-10 engine. I have Banks Long tubes on the V-10 as replacements for the factory manifolds that the studs broke off. Needless to say, going South has steeper inclines on I-5 over these same mountains...

Pulling the mountains, I run between 3200 and 3800 RPM. If the transmission wants to downshift and force me to go at 4800 RPM, I slow down... I keep myself reminding myself that speed kills on mountains...

BTW, I find that tow/haul on the transmission does a good job of keeping my foot off the breaks going downhill. As long as I don't start off going fast at the top.

On Monday morning, I passed a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with a pretty new travel trailer on it's side just north of Grants Pass. It appeared he was traveling to fast on a curve going down a mountain (55 MPH curve). It is a good reminder to keep your speed under control...

ClassAboater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power