Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2021, 02:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
The easiest option is to update your existing inverter to a Magnum MS2000. Then sell your old modified sine wave inverter. I sold my old inverter in two days!

This will be an easy remove and replace with no additional wiring required. The added benefit is all your other electronics will also run on the pure sine wave inverter.
This is the correct answer. Do it right or don't do it at all.

MPeterson
03 CC Allure
mapeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2021, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapeterson View Post
This is the correct answer. Do it right or don't do it at all.

MPeterson
03 CC Allure

I too agree with you. Do it right and do not cut corners to save a penny.
Once people start talking about .....well it should work or maybe ok
then I know it is a problem just waiting to happen.
It sounds like you are not poor get the 2000 watt Pure Sin Wave and you will rest easier at night knowing you have more then enough power for your application.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:08 PM   #17

Not so fast

In a house the electrical code calls for the refrigerator to be on it's own 20 amp circuit. A 20 amp circuit is 2,400 watts.

Why - Because the compressor draws a lot of current when it starts. You don't want to see a volt loss which would hurt the compressor.

Please know the run current may only be a couple amp but the deice system will push you up to about 850 watts and run for 30 minutes.

So will a 1000 watt PSW work, probably but know you are pushing it and most likely for a split second you are above its ratted output. But some inverters have what is called a surge rating that can cover that start up surge.

Is a 1000 watt a good idea? consider your time and effort and investment in the fridge and installation and yes you want it to be reliable too.

I would not cheap out now, just buy a bigger inverter.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #18

6 years ago I had my Xantrex 458 Freedom inverter replaced when they installed my Samsung frig. I got the Magnum 2812 along with a new controller. The good part is Xantrex uses a 6 wire feed to the controller and magnum uses 4 wires, so they just dropped 2 wires on both ends that way it saved running new wire and less $$$$ on the pocket book. In the 6 years my inverter has only been turned off once when I installed a new set of batteries last year. Here are the ones I installed

https://www.imarineusa.com/MagnumEnergyMS2812.aspx
https://www.imarineusa.com/MagnumEnergyME-RC50.aspx
2 stroker
As a side note my daughter has a 05 Monaco and they installed the (Fisher- Paykal) because the were short on room and still using the Xantrex 458 with no problems. They live in Fairbanks, Alaska and we made the trip down to Arizona together, there coach has been up and down the AlCan a lot and no problem with there frig.
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:38 PM   #19

In case no one has mentioned most inverters have 50-100% surge watts for a determined amount of time the amount of time may vary per percentage.
If you go with a smaller dedicated one, I would go with built in transfer it would involve a separate 120v line that could just be to an outlet.
Many owners have added a small dedicated inverter just for their fridge without transfer.
As years go by more items digital products will likely have internal DC power supplies/circuits not happy with MSW inverters.
I boondock a lot when the time comes I will spend the extra on 3000watt Hybrid inverter either Magnum or Xantrex. Not that significant compared to the advantages.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:40 AM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
The easiest option is to update your existing inverter to a Magnum MS2000. Then sell your old modified sine wave inverter. I sold my old inverter in two days!

This will be an easy remove and replace with no additional wiring required. The added benefit is all your other electronics will also run on the pure sine wave inverter.
I think I'm the third respondent thinking this is you best approach. Probably a 30 minute work time. Form and fit replacement.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:40 AM   #21

PSW inverter for fridge only

I replace my Norcold with a residential fridge five years ago.

Same problem, the manufacturer required a PSW power supply.

I bought this inverter from Amazon back in 2016 and it's still operating fine. No problems with the fridge or inverter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post

In a house the electrical code calls for the refrigerator to be on it's own 20 amp circuit. A 20 amp circuit is 2,400 watts.

That's not true, code does not require a seperate circuit for a fridge and it can be on a 15 amp circuit.

Best practice suggests it but not required.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #23

PSW inverter for fridge only

I replace my Norcold with a residential fridge five years ago.

Same problem, the manufacturer required a PSW power supply.

I bought this inverter from Amazon back in 2016 and it's still operating fine. No problems with the fridge or inverter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter