Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #1

Adding air to tires

Having difficulty adding air to tires using my Dewalt air compressor. It takes forever to get from 90 to 92 PSI which I need. Any advise to get this job done quicker? I have one tire that it seams like I can’t get it over mid 80’s.
Moses2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 10:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the dewalt rated to the task? Got the regulator wide open?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-gall...sor-64592.html

I just this week bought the above air compressor for my motorhome.

When I first turned it on I thought something was wrong because it didn't sound like a Mack truck. It is the quietest air compressor I have ever heard.

Tested it on a rear dual 22.5 tire that was at 92 pounds. Took about 30 seconds to get it to 95 pounds. Great.

It's pretty small, 19" deep so it fits in a storage bay without taking up a lot of space.

I won't travel without an air compressor due to a slow leak I had years ago that caused a front tire to deflate while we were in Houston for a few days. Took two hours with the little 12 volt compressor to air it up. Since then I've carried a big 110 volt compressor that will air up my tires to 95 pounds.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The DeWalt should fill them fast. One of the six tires on my rig fills very slowly. The pin in the valve doesn't depress quite right. Also, valve extensions can cause really slow fills. Try backing the tire valve out of the stem a small amount. If it fills fast, replace the valve.

Best of Luck.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:30 AM   #5

Have you confirmed that the valve stem is working properly and allowing air into the tire?

The tire that you can't get over the mid 80s? Do you know why it's that low on air? Might be a good idea to get that tire inspected if you don't know how long it's been that low or how far you've traveled on it.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It sounds like the air in the compressor and the tire are equalizing. As an example, say the compressor is set to 100# and you want 90#, the air pressure in the compressor will quickly drop to just above where your tire is setting, say 85#, and stay there. The compressor has a very small volume compared to your tire volume. The way to get the compressor to resume filling the tire is to lower the pressure in the compressor to that where the compressor kicks on and refills the compressor tank to the set pressure of the above mentioned 100#.
Take the air chuck off of the tire and use a screw driver or other tool to depress the probe within the chuck to allow air to escape and draw down the compressor tank to that pressure that will signal the compressor to turn on and refill the tank. Then resume filling the tire.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Need more info on that Dewalt compressor, for the reason rvbiker45 gave. If it isn't capable of delivering substantially more than 90 psi, it will take a long time to fill a tire to that level. Further, small or cheap compressors may be able to give high pressure but hardly any air volume at a higher psi. That's ok for a bicycle tire, but not so useful for a large tire that needs lots of air volume as well as high pressure. It's cheap to build a compressor with a high max psi but expensive to make it both high pressure and high volume.

Regardless of the compressor air volume/pressure capacity, a faulty tire valve or mismatched air chuck on the compressor's hose can really slow air flow.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #8

If you want a truly portable inflator, check out the Milwaukee 2475 Inflator. I claims a maximum pressure of 120 PSI, but I can not verify that. It also claims that it will top off ( 30-45 psi) a LT truck tire in under 4 minutes.

Not fast, but boy is it small and light weight. Built in pressure gauge. Set the desired pressure and push the button. The connection screws on to the tire valve stem so there is nothing to hold. You had better have the extra large battery if you have 4 tires to do. (Not likely capable of going from zero to 90 psi on Class A tires.)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best thing we have found to get the higher pressure for the RV tires is the ViAir RV 400, 12 volt compressor. It is higher dollar, but it works. Otherwise you need to look at a larger 120 volt unit, one that is rated to 150 PSIG.

https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/400p-rv-auto

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It seems if most posts are focusing on PSI ratings. While necessary, the PSI of the compressor needs to be more than the requirement of the tire you plan to fill. Otherwise, the pressure will equalize between the tire and the compressor and the transfer of air will stop. I think the original issue discussed here was addressing the time to refill the tires. You can have all the pressure money can buy and it will not do anything for you if you do not have sufficient VOLUME of air to accomplish the task.
As an example, say you are trying to fill your swimming pool. You have a quart bottle and a 5-gallon bucket, they are both at the same atmospheric pressure (same temperature and same altitude). The 5-gallon bucket is going to accomplish the task of filling the swimming pool much faster because of the greater VOLUME. The pressure is the same, all that the atmosphere is going to give.
The same principal applies to filling your tires. A portable compressor is not going to be capable of delivering the volume needed in a timely manner. It can be done, but maybe check with the RV park office and see if you can extend your stay for an additional day or two. You might need it. JMHO
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #11

Do to the cut in and cut out psi on your wire compressor your don’t have much of a sweet spot.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:22 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
It sounds like the air in the compressor and the tire are equalizing. As an example, say the compressor is set to 100# and you want 90#, the air pressure in the compressor will quickly drop to just above where your tire is setting, say 85#, and stay there. The compressor has a very small volume compared to your tire volume. The way to get the compressor to resume filling the tire is to lower the pressure in the compressor to that where the compressor kicks on and refills the compressor tank to the set pressure of the above mentioned 100#.
Take the air chuck off of the tire and use a screw driver or other tool to depress the probe within the chuck to allow air to escape and draw down the compressor tank to that pressure that will signal the compressor to turn on and refill the tank. Then resume filling the tire.
this
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #13

My 5'er tires are 110psi. My Dewalt struggles with it.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #14

"Dewalt" air compressor could mean anything from a cheesy battery operated unit to a 240v plug in unit. Which is it?

Tags
air, tires