Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

Adding External Propane Tank

Hi, due to illness, it looks like we will be staying put for several months. Have hay all around 1999 MH. We are just about running out of propane in the tank underneath. I have been told I can get an extender and external tanks to provide propane. Need more info. I need to know how much this will cost, what size tank I should get, keeping in mind that I will need to remove and take somewhere for refill. What parts are needed? I've called two propane home suppliers and they will not come out to fill tank. If they would, I would use one of theirs and get a bigger unit. Seems they will do it for trailers but not Class A. Thank you for any help you can provide. Oh, I do intend to have an RV person do the installation, but want full info before he comes so that I am not being 'ripped off' which seems to happen more than I would like.
Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #2

Goggle " extend-a-stay " They make what your looking for
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Stay A While tee is another one that is popular.
It shouldn't take as much as an hour to install the Tee unless it is an unusual/difficult installation.

I carried a 30 pound tank. It was light enough for me to load into and from the trunk of the car.
Some states don't allow the tank in a trunk unless it is upright. CO has that rule but will allow it to sit upright in the passenger compartment. I was able to move the passenger seat forward and put the tank behind the seat.

Later I bought a carrier that fit into the hitch receiver on the car and transported it that way.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivoli View Post
Hi, due to illness, it looks like we will be staying put for several months. Have hay all around 1999 MH. We are just about running out of propane in the tank underneath. I have been told I can get an extender and external tanks to provide propane. Need more info. I need to know how much this will cost, what size tank I should get, keeping in mind that I will need to remove and take somewhere for refill. What parts are needed? I've called two propane home suppliers and they will not come out to fill tank. If they would, I would use one of theirs and get a bigger unit. Seems they will do it for trailers but not Class A. Thank you for any help you can provide. Oh, I do intend to have an RV person do the installation, but want full info before he comes so that I am not being 'ripped off' which seems to happen more than I would like.
THis is what we did one year in Texas. we bought the below setup and then went to Walmart and bought 2ea 5 gal propane tanks on a exchange basis. when one tank went empty I would hook up the full one and take the empty to walmart and exchange for another full tank. The reason being propane was high in Texas and it was cheaper to do the propane tank exchange at walmart.

Some propane companies will set you up with a 100 lb tank which will last longer and fill it maybe once a week or as needed. The parts you need are listed below with the price at todays rate.
Mel
Camco 59123 Propane Brass Tee with 4 Port with 5' and 12' Hose
by Camco
Price: $75.37 & FREE Shipping at Amazon
Includes propane tee
Includes 5' auxiliary tank hose and 12' additional appliance hose
All 1/4" Female Threads
Provides excess flow protection in case of a broken gas line
Allows for the connection an auxiliary propane cylinder and an additional propane appliance
› See more product details
Old 11-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

Just keep in mind when exchanging 20 lb propane tanks, you are getting 15 lbs, ( 3/4 of a tank ) of propane. Its displayed right on the tank rack.

If you buy 1 or 2 empty tanks and get them refilled, it will probably work out cheaper. Of course the tank will last longer too.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:48 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
in most cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Just keep in mind when exchanging 20 lb propane tanks, you are getting 15 lbs, ( 3/4 of a tank ) of propane. Its displayed right on the tank rack.

If you buy 1 or 2 empty tanks and get them refilled, it will probably work out cheaper. Of course the tank will last longer too.
In most cases it would be cheaper to get the tanks refilled, but in my case it was not and here is why. 2 years ago in northern Texas we were caught in a cold spell. the place where we were staying did not have propane and to have a truck deliver there would be a $25 sur charge. The exchange tanks I bought cost me $19.95 to exchange. To have a tank refilled at a propane station 17 miles one way 34 miles round trip cost $22.50 or $18.00 for 4 gal or 15 lbs. that's $1.95 more for the exchange tank and only had to drive 1 mile to a Walmart. it took around 40 minutes round trip and about 1.5 gal of fuel plus waiting 15 to 20 min to get the propane tank filled. at $3.75 per gal of fuel and the time to fill the tank. Well you get the picture. If there was a refill station closer I would have went that route but in my case it was cheaper to use the exchange tanks.
Mel

Tags
propane, tank