Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #1

Adding gas fuel

I'm so new at this in case my wordage is wrong please excuse me or if you can direct me to a forum that has already covered this topic I will be most appreciative.

I love my 2005 Dolphin. BUT it has a rear gas cap and intake that is driving me nuts. At most stations it is a very time consuming effort to add gasoline to this coach. The pumps kick off every few seconds. Is there an extender I can buy to make this process less time consuming? Or should I go to certain stations that the pumps are less sensitive? If so who? I truly dread the process of putting gas it this coach.

Thank you for any info you can offer.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 99 pace arrow. it also has the rear fill. It will not fill if the coach is only slightly uphill. I always try to find a station that is slanted and park downhill. Look under the coach and see which side the gas fill hose goes in. It is usually the left (driver side) Put down the left rear jack. (If it is the left side.) this will tilt the MH and allow it to fill easily.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #3

There's a vent line that's run parallel with/right next to the main filler line. If that hose develops a kink in it, or has a low spot that allows fuel to collect in it, it's not going to vent the tank properly and will cause exactly what you describe. There's not much else that will make the filler act like that. This is an easy fix for anyone doing their own work - or any qualified shop should recognize your problem immediately.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #4

Thank you, Go Traveler and ahicks, I did find a thread yesterday dealing with this issue. The vent line does not have a kink that I can see but was not designed or install straight. Only 8 inches or so is rubber or flexible which has at one point a very slight sag.

I can understand the issues with the vent pipe but am wondering why I can pump almost trouble free at some stations and others stations such as 3 of our area Krogers will continually kick off. Are some of the pumps more sensitive than others? Or maybe our coach was slightly slanted left to right or rear to front with out my noticing. I will pay attention to this on my next fill up.

Thank you again for your help.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Can you lower the jacks on the filler side and elevate it enough to make filling it easier? I have seen that done and it seemed to work pretty well.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We had that problem with a 2002 Dolphin until I shortened the flexible vent tube several inches to remove two low spots in it. Fuel splashes into the vent, which ends just inside the filler tube, and runs down the vent tube to the low spot(s), blocking further venting. That causes more splashing at the mouth of the filler tube, causing more gas to run into the vent. A vicious circle.

The tilt of the coach makes a difference and it doesn't take much. And yes, some pumps are more sensitive than others on the auto shut-off. Pumps also vary in the speed of the fuel flow; lower speeds splash less and do not need to vent air as fast either. Try running it slower when you have problems.

It is not real difficult to disconnect the vent tube, pull it straighter to remove low spots and cut top length if needed. That will solve your problem permanently.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
There's a vent line that's run parallel with/right next to the main filler line. If that hose develops a kink in it, or has a low spot that allows fuel to collect in it, it's not going to vent the tank properly and will cause exactly what you describe. There's not much else that will make the filler act like that. This is an easy fix for anyone doing their own work - or any qualified shop should recognize your problem immediately.
I agree with you that vent hoses cause a lot of fill problems, mainly on diesels. We fixed dozens of coachs with this problem. Mainly diesels some gas. Idon't agree that theirs not much else that acts like that. On the rear fill the pipe goes in and makes a 90 deg turn goes down with only a slight drop and makes another turn. The fuel is trying to go into the tank at the middle, not the top. this causes the fuel to back up in the line. If you have a downhill slope it will work ok. That is why it works ok sometimes and not others.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #8

This is the best website and the most helpful group. Thank you everyone. I’ll make sure the RV has a down hill slant when fueling next time. Several of the fill ups were with it headed in the wrong direction I’m sure and thinking of pump pressure makes perfect sense as the busier stations usually have faster pumps. I hope this solves the issue as I cannot see any leeway in section of flex hose to shorten. It is not longer than 8 inches if that as you can see from the photo. It is hard pipe except from clamp to clamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin vent hose.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	11783  
Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Your vent pipe is different than it was on my 2002 Dolphin LX, but it is definitely the source of the problem. Fuel splashing into the vent will accumulate in that flex tube and pretty much block air flow.

Is there any way to re-hang the pipe to a better angle? If not, the only solution I see is to put a Tee where the hose joins the pie, pointing the open end of the tee upward so air can vent under the coach rather than thru the filler spout.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to 45acp
Before our present class A we had a R-Vison class B with the same problem. I did several things mentioned in this thread that helped but did not solve the issue. I agree with all that has been stated and suggested. We stopped for gas in a small station in Vermont and I made a comment to the attendant that he would not be able to get the tank full and he just smiled and said do you want to bet. Long story short, he turned the nozzle 180 degrees (up side down) and that tricked the sensor in the nozzle and let him fill the tank just fine. I had to buy the man a Pepsi. I tried it from then on and it helps more than anything else I could do. Bill
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenjen View Post
This is the best website and the most helpful group. Thank you everyone. I’ll make sure the RV has a down hill slant when fueling next time. Several of the fill ups were with it headed in the wrong direction I’m sure and thinking of pump pressure makes perfect sense as the busier stations usually have faster pumps. I hope this solves the issue as I cannot see any leeway in section of flex hose to shorten. It is not longer than 8 inches if that as you can see from the photo. It is hard pipe except from clamp to clamp.
I would be gently bending the hard pipe to align the 2 ends more directly. I think the downhill one on the right is closer to the fill isnt it?

Chris
HoRotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #12

From the picture it looks like there is a low spot in the vent line that could trap fuel. That being the case. Just wonder if you fuel up at intervals when the fuel taped in the vent line could evaporate and allow a faster fill.
Just a thought.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #13

Our gasser has a really sharp bend in the auxiliary tank fill tube and our only option appears to be just fill it slowly or hold at at just the right angle so the gas doesn't back up and activate the pump shut-off.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The problem is the tank is not "Way lower" than the filler as it is on your car so the pipe that runs from the gas cap to the tank has very little slope.

The solution is to increase the slope.

Now, there are basically two ways to do this and you can double up on them

First: Scout out the pumps. At some stations the pavement may slope toward the pumps.. AVOID THAT PUMP, Most are fairly flat.. (Ok if you have to) Some the pavement slopes AWAY from the pump.. THIS is the pump you wat.. NOTE you also usualy want an outside pump (Example, at one station I visit, I use pump 1, I don't even look at 2,3,4,5 because those are "inner" pumps, 8 is the other "outer" pump I can use it too)

Next, drop the pump side jacks.. This time instead of Leveling the coach, you want to actually tip it AWAY from the pump.. I have a pair of stick on bubble levels in the cockpit so I can see how level I am at any tiime.

Finally.. Centering on the pump (Always fun) I put a camera.. in my case below but I'd rather have it above, the gas cap... It is "B" on my back up monitor. Kind of neat.

Tags
fuel, gas