Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2023, 05:38 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I am not sure if Dutch Star Don was referring to me, but I do not have IFS, and I also do not have a tag axle. It is on a freightliner chassis.
The DW tells me I am now too old to be crawling around under the coach anymore. I suppose she is right, but I absolutely hate to admit it. It sounds like it won't cost me too much to have them installed anyway.
We have had next to no problems with porpoising, but those bad bridge transitions and pot holes are the worst. Sometimes, I think I have broken something when I hit a really bad one.
Btw, I have a 2018 phaeton 40 AH if I had not said that before.
So, 45K is time to replace shocks anyway?
I'm just gathering ammo for the conversation with the DW. Lol
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2023, 05:45 PM   #16

My friend there is absolutely nothing wrong with paying for someone to install your shocks. It is a dirty and somewhat strenuous job. I did it with a monster impact wrench and still hated it. If I have to do it again, I'll pay. I suggest a truck tire place, with a lift it's a quick job. They probably put the cheapest shocks on when they built it so yeah probably time for new, greatly improved shocks.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 08:00 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just purchased Koni FSD front shocks (8805-1020) for my 2017 Phaeton (your 2018 should take the same) from RCA Garage for $178.00 each plus tax, with free shipping.

I haven't driven the coach yet but the shocks were compressed when they arrived and difficult to extend. When we got the old original ones off my DW could easily compress and extend those.

If you also want to get the rears the sku is 8805-1022 per Koni.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 09:58 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I am not sure if Dutch Star Don was referring to me, but I do not have IFS, and I also do not have a tag axle. It is on a freightliner chassis.
The DW tells me I am now too old to be crawling around under the coach anymore. I suppose she is right, but I absolutely hate to admit it. It sounds like it won't cost me too much to have them installed anyway.
We have had next to no problems with porpoising, but those bad bridge transitions and pot holes are the worst. Sometimes, I think I have broken something when I hit a really bad one.
Btw, I have a 2018 phaeton 40 AH if I had not said that before.
So, 45K is time to replace shocks anyway?
I'm just gathering ammo for the conversation with the DW. Lol
Sorry.....for some reason I thought you said you had IFS. If you change the front shocks, go with the Koni EVO's still. They have them for the I-Beam front end.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 06:52 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Koni's on my 2007 National Tropi-Cal made a big difference in dampening impact of road to bridge holes and porpoising. Call Koni.com. They will input your coach by VIN and tell you exactly what shock you need. They also made a big difference in ride comfort and handling. Big Koni fan here.

Tags
koni, shocks