Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2023, 12:54 PM   #1

Adding window(s)?

Hi folks,
I am new here and I am currently shopping used class A gassers. I have noticed that some coaches have very small, and sometimes no windows on the passenger side of the cabin, or bedroom slides. My question is this - Is it possible to install new or larger RV windows in the side of an RV? I have done it on boats before, so I am somewhat familiar with the process. However, I have never done surgery on an RV before.

What say you? Doable or foolhardy?

Thanks, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2023, 03:54 PM   #2

Anyone?
Old 03-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #3

My guess is that it would have the potential to damage the structural integrity of the coach itself. I wouldn't want to try but let's see what others who have done it say.

Here's a thread on the same discussion as it pertains to a 5th wheel:

Installing larger windows in bedroom of 5th wheel
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:40 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes you can add windows or increase the size of existing windows if you know where to cut,staying between wall framing. Early in the morning when the humidity is high you may be able to see the outline of the framing on the RV as dry spots on the outside wall.
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:18 AM   #5

Theroc, Thank you! That was exactly the information that I was looking for. Now I just need to buy a Class A...

Cheers, Bill
Old 03-31-2023, 11:08 AM   #6

Why not just buy a coach that has the windows you like? Patience is a virtue.

Plus cutting holes or enlarging sidewall openings without engineering drawings is foolhardy. Quality of manufacturing in the RV industry is all over the map. So, no way of knowing what you are actually going to encounter. What if the space you are cutting into has wiring running through it?

Can of worms in my opinion.
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post

Plus cutting holes or enlarging sidewall openings without engineering drawings is foolhardy. Quality of manufacturing in the RV industry is all over the map. So, no way of knowing what you are actually going to encounter. What if the space you are cutting into has wiring running through it?

X2. There are enough troubles with factory-installed windows. Cutting holes for more or bigger windows is asking for grief.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 07:22 PM   #8

I agree with Theroc. It might be possible to install longer windows, but not wider than the framework of the coach, that compromises structural integrity. Unless you are a structural design engineer I would not attempt to install a wider window that involved cutting frame studs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post

Also very good advice.

Thank you, Bill
Old 04-01-2023, 01:46 PM   #10

Magic 8 ball says "do not proceed". Find the coach that suits you, not the coach that you have to cut holes in.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 09:35 PM   #11

I would not do it, at least I would not do it, too many unkowns about the structure inside the wall, framing type, etc.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, window