Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks all. I think I have the info I need.

I did look at the engine from the doghouse and the access to spark plugs is very awkward. I assume the plugs are replaced from the top??? Doesn't look easy.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Chevron Techron

x2
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
Thanks all. I think I have the info I need.

I did look at the engine from the doghouse and the access to spark plugs is very awkward. I assume the plugs are replaced from the top??? Doesn't look easy.
Plugs most likely will be replaced from the wheel well, shouldn't be too bad if the wheels are off. (there may be some shield there too that needs to be removed)

But just out of curiosity, what kind of mileage are you getting vs. the kind of driving you are doing? Hills, speed, wind, towing, etc...

Have you compared your mileage from trip to trip and are you actually noticing a decrease or just hate feeling you pocket getting lighter at the pump? I know I am victim to the latter......
Old 11-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas View Post
Plugs most likely will be replaced from the wheel well, shouldn't be too bad if the wheels are off. (there may be some shield there too that needs to be removed)

But just out of curiosity, what kind of mileage are you getting vs. the kind of driving you are doing? Hills, speed, wind, towing, etc...

Have you compared your mileage from trip to trip and are you actually noticing a decrease or just hate feeling you pocket getting lighter at the pump? I know I am victim to the latter......
Thanks. I am not doing much driving right now but here near Houston TX, there are some hills on our trips north of us but overall it's really flat. I was getting about 7.5mpg or so but last check it was lower below 7 under same conditions.

I am just trying to improve efficiency and a little power if I can get it without a lot of cost. Injector cleaner and new plugs seemed like a cheap start. By the way, this is a '98 National Dolphin that I bought in March with 26000 miles. It now has about another 1000. It is older but in great condition and runs great. It was hard to start sometimes after it was warmed up which sounded like a possible injector issue. Today I added 1 bottle of Techron to the gas and drove around the parking area a few times. I plan to add up to 4 to this tank of gas (probably 60 gal.) They recommend you add a bottle when tank is low and then fill up. I never let it get low and it won't have a chance to get too low until next Spring. So I'm adding 4 to 60 gal. and see what happens. BTW, I bought a pack of 6 at Costco recently for around $20 so have used 1 in each of the two cars with 4 left over... So there you are.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
keep in mind the stock exhaust manifolds are restrictive on those 7.4. ALso the intake is less than efficient.
Having driven them with and w/o headers & cold air... the power difference was significant.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Techron is very good. You could also have your system cleaned by a B & G dealer, it is also very good.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
Techron is very good. You could also have your system cleaned by a B & G dealer, it is also very good.
You got me there. A B & G dealer is....?
Old 11-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
BG Company
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote