RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #1

Adjusting / Tightening Topper

I looked in my build sheet and it lists my slide toppers as "cover awnings". No manufacturer name, model # no nothing.

The attached pic's are of our drivers side 16' slide.

I've looked online, here & YT to not only identify the manufacturer but—more importantly—how do you OR can you slightly adjust this style of topper to take up some of the droop and tighten it up some over the slide.

Do any of you know where I can watch a video that explains this procedure step-by-step?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	195125   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	195126  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	195127   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	195128  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #2

and one more pic...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	195129  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

I believe those are Dometic slide toppers, and to my knowledge there is no adjustment on them. If the material sags in the middle, the only option is to replace the material. If the material sags all the way across, then one or both of the springs in the roller tube is bad. I am not sure if there is a repair kit available for the springs.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:32 PM   #4

We just completed this procedure on a friends coach. We took each end loose one at a time and wound the spring tighter. You have to remove the screw from the mounting plate and the spring bracket. Hold the spring bracket tight as you slide the bar. Be careful because there is tension on the spring and it will unwind if you let go. Rotate the spring bracket how ever many time you think you will need. Slide the bar back into place, replace screws, then do the same on the other end. We found there was less tension on the springs if the slide out was part way in.
gcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamper View Post
We just completed this procedure on a friends coach. We took each end loose one at a time and wound the spring tighter. You have to remove the screw from the mounting plate and the spring bracket. Hold the spring bracket tight as you slide the bar. Be careful because there is tension on the spring and it will unwind if you let go. Rotate the spring bracket how ever many time you think you will need. Slide the bar back into place, replace screws, then do the same on the other end. We found there was less tension on the springs if the slide out was part way in.
Hopefully, this will help, but I am not sure it is a long term solution, but if you get a few more years out of the slidetoppers, then it will certainly be worth it.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #6

If you google “A E Dometic slide topper installation manual” it will bring up all you need to know on releasing and applying tension to your toppers. My toppers are the same as yours and I put new material on last summer. If I remember correctly the spring tension on all A&E toppers is 13 revolutions. If I were you I would release the tension one side at a time counting the turns as you go, this will let you know if they had the correct tension in the first place, if they did then adding a turn or two might help. Good luck and be careful!
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #7

If your topper is too tight it may cause your slide to not seal at the top. Don’t ask how I know!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote