Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2020, 09:16 AM   #29

DOMO (I think the single best way to create a virtual social gathering is to put "Tire Pressure" in an RV forum title!)

Domo . . . . you got that right!

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #30
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
My 235/80R22.5 Michelin XRVs are supposed to be at 90. When we were ready to leave Florida in late March it was about 75 degrees. I took the tires to 100 (max sidewall pressure is 110).

When we got back to NE Ohio the temps were about 40. The tires the next morning were in the very low 90's.

I usually keep them about 98 when the morning temps are in the 60's. So far no alarms from the TPMS, which is my goal.

Ray
I just checked them. It's 32 degrees outside and the tires are either 88 or 89 per the TPMS monitor in the house. That's the only way to check tire pressures in cold weather.

So a 43 degree temperature change caused about an 11 lbs psi pressure change.

The usual formula of 2% pressure change per 10 degrees of temperature change seems a bit low for these tires but 2% is definitely close enough for figuring how much to carry.

It's also why I run about 10% over the tire chart numbers as Tireman9 recommends. If I had set the tires to 90 in Florida they would be at about 80 right now. A tire that is 20% under-inflated is considered flat and that would be 72 for me. 80 is a bit too close to 72 for my comfort, especially since tire gauges usually have (roughly) a 3% accuracy tolerance.

90 lbs psi is the sticker number, which is what is needed to support the full GAWR on each axle. We're not quite that heavy but I still use the the sticker pressure as the minimum for a bit more margin. And yes, it rides fine now that we've replaced the stock Ford Sachs shocks with Koni FSD's.

Ray
Old 04-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
D * Don, you know I can check my tire pressures while sitting in the driver’s seat by pressing a button on my TPMS. I do this every morning while the rig is airing up, not outside at night.
As usual, you have some inappropriate answer to something different than what was being discussed. People with average reading comprehension know I was discussing those that check their tires with an air gauge, since I was discussing a 45 year time frame, before TPMS was even invented.

Yeah, many of us have TPMS, not just you, and can NOW check their tires via the TPMS system.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I just checked them. It's 32 degrees outside and the tires are either 88 or 89 per the TPMS monitor in the house. That's the only way to check tire pressures in cold weather.

So a 43 degree temperature change caused about an 11 lbs psi pressure change.

The usual formula of 2% pressure change per 10 degrees of temperature change seems a bit low for these tires but 2% is definitely close enough for figuring how much to carry.

It's also why I run about 10% over the tire chart numbers as Tireman9 recommends. If I had set the tires to 90 in Florida they would be at about 80 right now. A tire that is 20% under-inflated is considered flat and that would be 72 for me. 80 is a bit too close to 72 for my comfort, especially since tire gauges usually have (roughly) a 3% accuracy tolerance.

90 lbs psi is the sticker number, which is what is needed to support the full GAWR on each axle. We're not quite that heavy but I still use the the sticker pressure as the minimum for a bit more margin. And yes, it rides fine now that we've replaced the stock Ford Sachs shocks with Koni FSD's.

Ray

My goal is for the operating/running tire PSI to be at 10-15 PSI over the cold rated psi as marked on the tire sidewall. With TPMS, I can set the morning psi according to the day's temperature and have been able to keep the operating PSI pretty consistent. This can range from starting out at 95 PSI on hot days to 105 PSI for cold days inorder to maintain the approx 120 operating PSI. With TPMS, it's easy to monitor the tire operating PSI.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
As usual, you have some inappropriate answer to something different than what was being discussed. People with average reading comprehension know I was discussing those that check their tires with an air gauge, since I was discussing a 45 year time frame, before TPMS was even invented.

Yeah, many of us have TPMS, not just you, and can NOW check their tires via the TPMS system.
I'm one of those who still kicks the tires before he starts in the AM - sorry has worked for well over 50 years Managed to make it to Mid 70's without TPS and well just would really rather be able to hear and feel those tires that are so critical to My Safety, than rely on something - Made in China -

But The part that is Critical is that You the Driver Check the Tires - Both of you DO!- really does not matter how, IMHO, the issue, is if you have made it this far - what you are doing works, at least for You.

If when you check the tires and the pressure has "Significantly Changed" if it has then it should be attended to, sooner than Later.

The pressure thing will be debated till the end of time - and still not resolved or ever will be resolved, again, JMHO. Again for Me I am a wear guy, no matter what the pressure recommended if the tire is not wearing evenly then - - it's not Correct, once again IMHO.

I have run Michelins on all my Cars and Most of my Motorhomes for the last 30 years and can normally get 100k out of a set of tires.........did replace the 14 year old Michelins (69K And sold them to/for a Yard Truck $$$) with newer ones because you guys have been telling me for almost 10 years to get them off the Coach that they were ready to Blow.

Sorry think I should have just stayed out of this- But COVID-19 has me spending too much time on the Computer.

-
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferimonter View Post
I have a stupid tire question. I live in Florida and have my tire pressure set correctly when I leave heading north. The further north I get the cooler the weather and the lower the tire pressure becomes. Do I each morning have to readjust the tire pressure? Same thing coming from the north (cold weather) back to warmer weather. In this case the tire pressures will increase. Do I need to readjust pressures each morning to correct these difference in pressure.
Thanks
NO. Air them up to the Federal Tire Placard inside the MH and you'll be fine. I've returned home from FL many times and never had to add air.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #35

I have a 2019 40' Holiday Rambler Navigator. The stickers call for 110 pounds in the front and 100 pounds on the back. I have never had it weighed to establish the correct pressures
ferimonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #36
US1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
NO. Air them up to the Federal Tire Placard inside the MH and you'll be fine. I've returned home from FL many times and never had to add air.
My placard has the fronts at 70, rears at 60. Tires have not changed size or load rating, just brand.

Going off tire size/weight carrying charts, 65 is the recommended min psi for my tires. This would suggest the placard is suggesting an unsafe 60psi???
But when using the tire charts when inputing my rear axle weights, the psi comes in at below 60, and since 65 is the min recommendation, I would assume 65 is the number to use.

Thus, I run with the tires at 70psi.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:06 PM   #37

Hello Ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ted View Post
Just curious what kind of rig you have ? I have a 2014 43ft Revolution and the tire placard says 85 in all 6 of the rear tires ? Does your rig call for such high pres or is it you just fell its necessary ?
Here is my placard.

I have weighed corner's also.
And tag's now and then.

As we have a certified scales on the farm.
It still comes out close to the placard and the tire company chart the way I load the coach.
Which is light.
We have never blown a tire.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200418_131309.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	282088Click image for larger version

Name:	20200131_153711.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	282089
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #38