Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2023, 09:18 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Advanta tires

Just purchased a new to us 2015 Forest River Georgetown XL 360DS.
The dealer replaced the tires with Advanta AV2000S.
The tire loading chart placard in the MH calls for 255/80R22.5.
They replaced them with 275/70R22.5.
These new tires also state Max PSI Cold is 130. Haven't been able to find a tire chart for these. I'm thinking that 130 seems a little high. The dealer put only 100psi in. Thinking that 110 would be closer to a correct pressure.

Not really sure what the different sizes means. Any comments?

I've never heard of this tire ether. Not much information or reviews on the internet about them other than they are pretty inexpensive. Side wall says "Made in Thailand".

Any one have these tires or know anything about them?
DamonCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2023, 09:26 AM   #2

275s are almost 1" smaller, 3/4" wider, 1/2" less sidewall height

Usable......and dealer put them on cause they were CHEAP

What is the MAX Load Rating on sidewall?

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc....5-275-70r22.5
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:00 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
275s are almost 1" smaller, 3/4" wider, 1/2" less sidewall height

Usable......and dealer put them on cause they were CHEAP

What is the MAX Load Rating on sidewall?

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc....5-275-70r22.5
Yes I think they were cheap. After further investigation, they are commercial truck tires. Side wall load is stated as 6940.
I believe they are well suited. My front GAWR is 9000 and rear is 15000. So half that is only 4500 per tire front and 3750 per tire rear duals. Seems that the load bearing capacity is well above what is the GVWR of 24000.
Just got the MH so have not had time to weigh it yet. Paperwork says that he MH has 3750 load capacity so that seems like a lot. We shall see.

Thanks so much for the comparison chart. That is super nice!! I had found the pressure charts bt that one is great!
Old 02-02-2023, 10:27 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dana,
I run 100# all round in my 275/70R22.5's on my Pace Arrow (Sailun's).
And I travel a little light, w/ 3/4 fresh water tank, and just a few clothes and food stuffs.
Checking the wear patterns after 4 trips to Florida and back, I see nothing to be concerned about, especially on the fronts. I run balance beads in all 6 tires.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonCamper View Post
Yes I think they were cheap. After further investigation, they are commercial truck tires. Side wall load is stated as 6940.
I believe they are well suited. My front GAWR is 9000 and rear is 15000. So half that is only 4500 per tire front and 3750 per tire rear duals. Seems that the load bearing capacity is well above what is the GVWR of 24000.
Just got the MH so have not had time to weigh it yet. Paperwork says that he MH has 3750 load capacity so that seems like a lot. We shall see.

Thanks so much for the comparison chart. That is super nice!! I had found the pressure charts bt that one is great!
100 PSI should be good starting point until you get actual axle weights
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Just purchased a new to us 2015 Forest River Georgetown XL 360DS.
The dealer replaced the tires with Advanta AV2000S.
The tire loading chart placard in the MH calls for 255/80R22.5.
They replaced them with 275/70R22.5.
These new tires also state Max PSI Cold is 130. Haven't been able to find a tire chart for these. I'm thinking that 130 seems a little high. The dealer put only 100psi in. Thinking that 110 would be closer to a correct pressure.

Not really sure what the different sizes means. Any comments?

I've never heard of this tire ether. Not much information or reviews on the internet about them other than they are pretty inexpensive. Side wall says "Made in Thailand".

Any one have these tires or know anything about them?
Since not much is known about these tires and they more than likely were installed by the dealer because they were cheap, I’d replace them with a quality tire. You can likely resell the Advanta tires locally to someone who runs a truck for a construction company, etc.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Since not much is known about these tires and they more than likely were installed by the dealer because they were cheap, I’d replace them with a quality tire. You can likely resell the Advanta tires locally to someone who runs a truck for a construction company, etc.
I don't know. I'll respectfully push back a little on that suggestion. Yes, they are a "cheap" i.e., inexpensive or bargain-priced tire. However, they do not have that bad of a reputation as they are another brand from API. They have a decent reputation in the commercial over-the-road truck sector and unlike Gladiator, I don't think I can recall a mass recall on them. Gladiator had big recall back in 2014. I have heard of no catastrophic failures of Advanta tires on over-the-road trucks but I have not been paying real close attention to it lately.

We've discussed on the forum previously other commercial truck tires from API (American Pacific Industries, Inc.) based in Arizona ...Gladiator and Zenna. But unlike Gladiator which most of the line comes from China, as the OP has noted, Advanta comes from a factory in Thailand. Most tires from Thailand are known for relatively good quality and would be preferred over those made in China.

DamonCamper: If your Advantas are AV2000S, it's a robust design with an 18-ply rated, Load Range J. That is two load range/ply rating steps above what the Original Equipment Michelin XRV 255/80R22.5 would have been as they were most likely Load Range G (14-ply rated). Your Advantas are rated for a much heavier weight than what your motorhome is rated at so I personally would not be insecure at all using the Advantas. If your date code indicates a rather recent date of manufacture, I'd probably run them a few years and see how they perform before replacing all of them now. But it's your call. My personal opinion is that you're not taking a huge safety risk by running them for another few years.

When it does come time to replace them, maybe consider Toyo or Sumitomo?

(brochure from API on their Advanta line)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2022_Advanta-SpecSheet.pdf (1.70 MB, 28 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:20 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post

DamonCamper: If your Advantas are AV2000S, it's a robust design with an 18-ply rated, Load Range J. That is two load range/ply rating steps above what the Original Equipment Michelin XRV 255/80R22.5 would have been as they were most likely Load Range G (14-ply rated). Your Advantas are rated for a much heavier weight than what your motorhome is rated at so I personally would not be insecure at all using the Advantas. If your date code indicates a rather recent date of manufacture, I'd probably run them a few years and see how they perform before replacing all of them now. But it's your call. My personal opinion is that you're not taking a huge safety risk by running them for another few years.

Thanks, that was my feelings also. I'm not made of money and they seem to be good tires and like you said, there are no negative comments about the. I have a TPMS so will just watch them.
The date stamp was 5122 so they are pretty new tires.

Thanks for the comments!!
Old 02-04-2023, 06:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks, that was my feelings also. I'm not made of money and they seem to be good tires and like you said, there are no negative comments about the. I have a TPMS so will just watch them.
The date stamp was 5122 so they are pretty new tires.

Thanks for the comments!!
Actually, I probably would do the same thing at least for a year or two. Be safe out there.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I don't know. I'll respectfully push back a little on that suggestion. Yes, they are a "cheap" i.e., inexpensive or bargain-priced tire. However, they do not have that bad of a reputation as they are another brand from API. They have a decent reputation in the commercial over-the-road truck sector and unlike Gladiator, I don't think I can recall a mass recall on them. Gladiator had big recall back in 2014. I have heard of no catastrophic failures of Advanta tires on over-the-road trucks but I have not been paying real close attention to it lately.

We've discussed on the forum previously other commercial truck tires from API (American Pacific Industries, Inc.) based in Arizona ...Gladiator and Zenna. But unlike Gladiator which most of the line comes from China, as the OP has noted, Advanta comes from a factory in Thailand. Most tires from Thailand are known for relatively good quality and would be preferred over those made in China.

I agree. When I bought my Saliun truck tires they were $1,380 for all 6, mounted, balanced, taxes etc. final bill. Today they are almost double the price since their name has became commonly known here in the U.S.A. They have performed better than the Goodyear G670's they replaced.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:28 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

From your statement above the GAWR of your front axle is 9000 LB. The GVWA of your rear axle is 15000 LB.

Attached is a generic load inflation chart. I believe it is identical to most commercial truck tire brands with the exception of Goodyear.

A load of 4500 LBS/tire for your front tires is below the minimum inflation recommended on the chart. I would set my front inflation to the minimum of 85 PSI.

A load of 3750 LBS/tire for your rear tires is below the minimum inflation recommended on the chart. I would set my rear inflation to the minimum of 85 PSI.

In other words I would run 85 PSI all around!

I have a 21000 GVWR Georgetown with 245/70R19.5 tires. I run 90 PSI in my fronts and 80 PSI in the rear. This is the pressure for the rating of the axle. Unless I overload an axle I have sufficient pressure for the load. I have Firestone FS561 tires.

I would put in 85 PSI on all tires and don't overload the motorhome!

I'm with Mike in Colorado. I have balance beads on all tires. They run smooth as glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generic Load Inflation Chart.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	385810  

Tags
tire, tires