Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #15

Advantages of diesel over gas........

The repair costs are a huge concern with me with diesels . I’ve seen some of them , I couldn’t afford it .
A friends Cat powered rig dropped 2 valves early this summer , just now getting it back over 30,000.00 later .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 11:37 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the honest replies. I'm certainly not looking for answers that just make me feel better. I've never driven a diesel anything, but you can read hundreds of posts about how someone would never drive anything else, etc. Not sure those are much help. However, this post has received many thoughtful, candid responses and it is much appreciated.

I didn't know what type of MPG to expect so had no idea if there was a significant difference that alone would justify diesel over gas. In that aspect alone, as stated, looks like it wouldn't be a justification.

Also didn't know that most diesels came with airbags, etc and had a better all around ride. I assume that is due to the freightliner chassis over the ford.

Also hadn't thought about the noise, as the only thing I've had was a 31' Class C on the E-450 chassis. Yup, she tended to scream on the hills, but it didn't bother me. I guess you don't know what you're missing (or not hearing) until you drive something else.

As for our intended use, upon retirement this will be our mode of travel for weeks at a time all over this Country. Thus, I see that the overall ride experience will be something to consider. As for the difference in price between the two, money will be a consideration, but not a deal breaker.

But, the overall cost of upkeep and repairs is a valid concern that I haven't considered. Will have to figure that into the budget equations.

Now to find a dealer that will let me test ride.......
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Drive what you can afford

I have read all the posts on this thread and a lot of them on previous threads with many of the same conclusions.

There is no doubt owning a DP is more costly IMO. However, I try and defray most of that by doing my own maintenance. Oil changes, filters, Tranny, Grease, and hope to get into one of those Freightliner owners class/teaching on hands some day.

I have a CDL and still drive professionally with a variety of buses both gas and diesel.

For our personal use and in our budget, we own a Diesel and we are the 2nd owners at that.

There are some nice coaches out there that are gas, however when it comes to the added features like POWER, TOWING, LONGEVITY, those are the top 3 imo.

Air Ride, Air Brakes, Quiet, Smooth, Better Gas Mileage, I know when we were in mountains recently, I sure did appreciate that power and air brakes but then again I use Air Brakes all the time anyway

The next question many ask is if I should get a tag axle. They are nice to have and add to the nice ride and stability but then again I drive buses both with one and without one. In our DP we do not have a tag and still have a very comfortable ride however if we have a very strong cross wind, you can tell a difference driving with a tag and without one. I only drive at about 62-63 mph for optimum mileage with our coach. When I drive the big MCI's, Vanhool's, Setra's I push it 75 to make the time since it's not my fuel I am burning. And then the tag axle is nice to have on those high wind days. She tracks like a dream.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Diesels get better fuel mileage than gas engine. That’s why all the european cars are diesel now.
As far as cost to repair - compairing a four cylinder diesel to same size gas (think BMW sedan) the costs are about the same
If your thinking costs for a big 12L diesel engine then of course it will bemuch higher as the parts cost more ( these are heavier/bigger/stronger parts)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:03 AM   #19

I like a fresh start on an old subject. It's more up to date.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:14 AM   #20

If budget is of issue, go gas. If longevity, large RV and deluxe are the want, and budget is less of an issue, go diesel.
Since deluxe is packaged with a diesel, then that sets the mode.
Diesel fuel is more expensive per gallon and they might get a little better economy for the same size rig, but the rigs are almost never the same size / weight to compare.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:28 AM   #21

My only add is to crunch the budget numbers before a test drive.
Don't test a DP unless you are serious and it fits your needs and budget... otherwise you may just frustrate yourself.
I love my DP but survived very happily for many yrs and a couple gas MHs.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Advantages of DP over Gasser:

DPs, generally start becoming available around 35 ft. 35 - 37 ft seems to be the general crossover point when the different chassis are used in a build.
  • Generally, Coach build quality will be better. However, The same high build quality can also be found on high end gassers.
  • I believe the fuel cost per mile will be similar.
  • Quieter, but again, high end gasser is very quite
  • Ride, handling will be superior.
  • Higher tow capacity.
  • Turbo charge - power availability at high altitudes.
  • Generally, chassis durability will be better.

Advantages of gasser over DP

• Significantly lower maintenance cost.
  • Maintenance parts commonly available.
  • Significantly lower initial cost.
  • Lower fuel cost, but fuel cost per mile will be similar to DP.

Once you've pulled into your parking space , there are no differences..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #23

Keep in mind that most diesel coaches after 2007 will have the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) where the emission system will 'regenerate' to burn off the collected particulate matter.

Starting in 2010, diesel engines are equipped with Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) that will require Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) to be added to a separate tank.

Our coach has a 230 gallon diesel fuel tank with a 16 gallon DEF tank. Th DEF system allows the coach to have virtually no fumes. Our coach exhausts out the roof.

Good luck on your search!
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:34 AM   #24

I wonder how many people who have gone from gas to diesel have switched back to gas and what the reason was. I suspect it is a small percentage. A DP costs more in every category, no doubt about it. So one has to assume the rewards in comfort and enjoyment are worth the difference in cost. It was for us.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 AM   #25

Pretty much everything I can think of has been covered already, but I'll add this one.

Although for the most part I am in the boat of "once you park, diesel or gas are pretty much the same, there is one (for me anyway) glaring exception:

A diesel coach GENERALLY has a diesel fueled generator. Some coaches (both gas and diesel) have propane gennys. Personally I'd stay away from those.

I REALLY like the larger fuel tanks with diesel rigs, and I LOVE diesel generators, so if boondocking, or running the air conditioners while going down the road, or using the generator a LOT, or at max capacity, nothing beats a diesel generator. The Onan generators are generally built for about 20,000 hours of use with proper maintenance.

Gasoline generators, from my personal experience, tend to be more finicky, have more fuel related issues, etc. IMHO they are more suited for occasional use.

Just another thought to consider. Good luck with your choice!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #26

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Use the search. This has been beaten to death in numerous threads.

I beg to differ,
The latest changes to the gas/diesel evolution has changed so much the last 5 or so years that a discussion is very valid.

Times and progress do change.
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #27

Test drives. Nothing said here can replace that. And drive a cross section of quality to get a good feel. Just as a gas will drive differently than diesel, a Tiffin will drive differently from a cheaper brand on the same platform. Not all builders spec out the gas chassis to the same capacity, and the same is true of diesels.

You will find dealers eager to offer test drives to serious buyers. Tire kickers not so much.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #28

MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas