Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #29

Another option is a rear engine gasser on a workhorse chassis. I have one and it handles far nicer than my old F53. It has a 100 gallon fuel and gets about 7mpg.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Another option is a rear engine gasser on a workhorse chassis. I have one and it handles far nicer than my old F53. It has a 100 gallon fuel and gets about 7mpg.

Except that’s not a very good option . Very limited choices
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I wonder how many people who have gone from gas to diesel have switched back to gas and what the reason was. I suspect it is a small percentage. A DP costs more in every category, no doubt about it. So one has to assume the rewards in comfort and enjoyment are worth the difference in cost. It was for us.
You ask a reasonable question, but I can see that there would be a slice of the population that might do so for floorplan options at a shorter length.

The OP said that he wanted to stick around 32 feet in either Gas or Diesel, and at that size there are vanishingly few options for a Diesel Class A, whereas there are numerous options for Gas Class A motorhomes at all price points. We have had a Gas and now a Diesel Class A, both just 34 feet long, and we can certainly foresee that we may want an even shorter coach in the future which would mean we would consider a Gas coach again.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #32

We recently sold our 2000 DP for a 2017 Gas Newmar Canyon Star....We were reluctant to purchase a gasser. Soo happy we did! The new MH is much quieter driving down the road. It came with a steering stabilizer upgrade and the ride is just a smooth as the DP was. While we really miss the torque that the DP had in the mountains along with the exhaust brake, we are loving our new MH!
tinagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinagh View Post
We recently sold our 2000 DP for a 2017 Gas Newmar Canyon Star....We were reluctant to purchase a gasser. Soo happy we did! The new MH is much quieter driving down the road. It came with a steering stabilizer upgrade and the ride is just a smooth as the DP was. While we really miss the torque that the DP had in the mountains along with the exhaust brake, we are loving our new MH!
I'm glad to hear that the new gas rigs are quieter, that is a concern. Thanks for posting your experience!!

Of course, a test ride will ultimately be in order.
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemcdou View Post
You ask a reasonable question, but I can see that there would be a slice of the population that might do so for floorplan options at a shorter length.

The OP said that he wanted to stick around 32 feet in either Gas or Diesel, and at that size there are vanishingly few options for a Diesel Class A, whereas there are numerous options for Gas Class A motorhomes at all price points. We have had a Gas and now a Diesel Class A, both just 34 feet long, and we can certainly foresee that we may want an even shorter coach in the future which would mean we would consider a Gas coach again.
Very good point. After reading responses here in other places, I've "stretched" my limitations to wanting to stay 34'. That has opened up a few more options in DP, including the Ventana LE. How do you like the Comfort Drive? Does it make a difference from driving a similar DP that doesn't have that? Thanks
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #35

I had a Duramax in my first RV. It had great power but I set aside $4000 for the day it needed injectors
Now, we have a 27 foot Newmar with a V10. I wouldn't go back to a diesel, thanks.
Go to the power train garage and spend a half hour reading the "adventures" of diesel owners. No thanks.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
As was said in the 34ft range there are limited options. I have a 36 ft gas and the noise from the engine isn’t too bad when flat cruising. As i finally have the exhaust manifold fixed, fingers crossed, I will find out this coming weekend. A 1200 mile round trip with a few hills, yes hills, not mountains. And now that the windshield is properly installed we can gauge the noise level.
I took a 40 ft Newmar diesel for a test drive and it is definitely guieter for engine noise. Drive wasn’t long enough for a real test of overall noise. The ride of the diesel was unreal however. The coach was what I would like for driving more than what I have now.
I believe in the budgeting approach to purchasing. You should have in a gas coach a $12,000 reserve for drivetrain repairs.
In a diesel I would think, my opinion only, that $25,000 should be available for drivetrain repairs.
House repairs are similar between coaches so I did not account for that.

This is my opinion and what I used when I bought my present coach and what I will use when I buy my next, which will likely be a diesel.

I also want to have a higher tow rating than what I have now.

Good luck and safe travels.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinagh View Post

So much for the naysayers. More than pleased with our 5 year old Tiffin gas powered coach which we bought new. Can’t get past the only maintenance of oil changes so far either.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
And I'll add to it
Old 09-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, gas wins. If you are looking for the best overall experience, no contest, diesel wins. So do you want to pay for luxury, or save your money? Different strokes for different folks. That is why there are Toyota dealers and also Lexus dealers.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Our Wallet dictates how we live...........Period.
Billon Aires own Island's, Big Plane's, Million Aire's own Ship's and Estate's.......and so on down the line
Old 09-24-2018, 04:06 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
If you are looking for the best bang for the buck, gas wins. If you are looking for the best overall experience, no contest, diesel wins. So do you want to pay for luxury, or save your money? Different strokes for different folks. That is why there are Toyota dealers and also Lexus dealers.

That’s pretty much the way I see it . If you have the money to buy & maintain a DP, by all means , go for it .
If not a gasser gets the job done in most cases . For less money .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
DP for us for most of the reason above. Also, I get to use truck lanes for diesel fuel and don't have to deal with RV towing a jeep trying to fit into the gas pumps.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas