Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2022, 01:00 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Tilted Kilt".....that 8.1 engine, is a brute. It will out power most DP's on a grade. I wouldn't be concerned with any grade on a major highway.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2022, 01:25 PM   #16

I did that same route, except in reverse in my vortex 8.1 A class. Before I got to the climbs I disconnected the toad. My wife drove the toad. And I got behind the slowest TT and at 40 mph I was able to keep the rpm’s down. It is daunting but beautiful.
Bags4266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:50 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Great response

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Im going to offer a somewhat different perspective. Sure I70 is doable ... MY worry on that road is that the interstate is two lanes with often not a lot ofspace on the sides. If you break down you will block traffic and it will be really messy and long getting towed out of there.

If time is really not an issue, consider going NORTH from denver to I80 west, then 191 south. I80 is high plateau (no mountains, but still 10,000 feet!), MUCH more wide open, and less crowded. Very majestic in its own way.

If you do end up taking I70, most of the rest areas are on the western grade, so plan accordingly
This is what I'm looking for!!! Thank you!!
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:56 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
IMO, the best route with the least stress for a flatlander, is to take I-70 all the way to 191. The grades are very doable for your 8.1 and it's less stressful on the interstate than any two lane. You can't avoid elevation or mountain passes unless you come across on I-10 through NM and AZ way to the south, then up to Moab. We've done it with our 43' bus and 26' trailer with no problems except I-70 can be rough in areas.
I live in the mountains of Georgia, moved here from the mountains of New Hampshire, your use of the term "Flatlander" is incorrect and can be misunderstood as insulting, that wasn't your intent, I hope.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:01 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Great response

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I70, as others have commented.

Rather than 191, I prefer to take 128 into Moab. Very beautiful drive. Use the second 128 exit from I70 west bound (the first is/was very rough roadway).

Thank you for this advice, this is exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:12 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't want to sound rude, however I did not ask for advice on how to drive my motorhome, or the characteristics of my 8.1, or be called a flatlander because I'm looking for easy driving routs. I have my reasoning for my request, and I just wanted some quality advice. Thank you to those who have been helpful and stayed on topic.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:43 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilted Kilt View Post
Hoping to find someone with Class A motorhome experience that has travelled west from Denver or greater Denver area to Arches Nation Park, Moab area.

I would like to avoid Mt passed and high elevation climbs that will be rough on my 8.1. Time and distance aren't an issue. I travel in a Winnebago 35A, workhorse W24, 8.1 vortex.

I understand it's the mountains and dealing with climbs and elevations cannot be avoided altogether but would like to find the easiest driving route.
In your opening post you stated the above. Replies stating your 8.1 was up to the job don't seem off topic. Without more specific information, people are just trying to provide help and different ideas. Often, I read stuff that isn't how I've been doing something, but seems to be a better way and use the new information. No one was attempting to offend you as we don't know what your motorhome experiences are, a newbie, or someone with a million miles under their belt.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilted Kilt View Post
I live in the mountains of Georgia, moved here from the mountains of New Hampshire, your use of the term "Flatlander" is incorrect and can be misunderstood as insulting, that wasn't your intent, I hope.

Being from central WI, I am a full fledged "Flatlander" and proud of it. Your desire to avoid Mountain Passes inferred that you were not accustomed to mountain driving. I was unfamiliar with any mountain pass till I did the first one. Then another and another. The eastern mountains do not compare to the Rockies, but you have run them, so you're better prepared that I was. I-70 is beautiful experience and most will enjoy. It has the highest Interstate in the world and it's underground in the 1.7 mile Eisenhauer Tunnel. Your 8.1 will be a little short of breath at 11,000+', but will do the job. It's the best route to Moab and takes you through unique Glenwood Canyon. Go for it.

Edit: FWIW, I-80 across WY is less scenic and can be very windy.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:25 PM   #23

If I may please suggest that we all take a deep breath and take a step back and realize we are all trying to honestly help each other… it’s just that communication is sometimes really hard…. So best to assume good intentions on all sides (which I what I myself read into these posts..

By way of example, I am hoping to hit Great Basin NP this summer… and hands down the best route back home for me is I70 eastbound into Denver… BUT I am considering taking the route north to I 80 across WY. now, I actually ENJOY mountain grade driving … find it kind of relaxing actually … and though 10,000 ft at Eisenhower push the rig a little, it still makes it. BUT, I70 is a LONG stretch of two lane with not a huge amount of support for diesel rigs … and my comment about breaking down and blocking that stretch of road holds … been towed once, would NOT want to have to do that on that stretch. Has nothing to do at all with my comfort of being able to handle the road itself.

Those are my reasons for trying, if feasible, to stay away from I70. Might I suggest we take the OP comments at face value that, for his own reasons, he would like options other than that route?
Old 03-25-2022, 11:35 PM   #24

Oh yeah, I80 is windy … it’s basically fully exposed to the jet stream (part of its majesty Of that route I mentioned) … also fast changes in altitude like that can easily trigger migraine for my wife … another one of those trade offs. Last time we went through the Eisenhower tunnel, she was really suffering… but when we came down into Denver her headache was gone. But the more gradual climb and descent across WY was no problem. Trade offs, trade offs…
Old 03-26-2022, 05:54 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
My humble apologizes for the miss read, thank you for all your help. Hope you all have a safe and trouble-free RV season. Again, my apologizes.
Old 03-26-2022, 07:15 AM   #26

Thank you for the apology ... but my comment was really directed at everybody. You *clearly* asked for options to avoid a mountain pass ... and everyone just told you to go ahead and take a road with a mountain pass. Like they just are not even listening to you. I get the frustration.

Unfortunately that happens all the time .... i think it is a result of the platform and form of communication much more than the people ... hence my "good intentions" comment...
Old 03-26-2022, 09:50 AM   #27

If you are traveling from Georgia and have no reason to be in Denver, why not consider staying on I-40 thru NM into AZ and then 191 north to Moab? A stop in Chinle for a tour through Canyon De Chelly is worth the time to see what the Native American life was like hundreds of years ago. The tour guide will be a NA whose ancestors lived in the canyon. SE Utah is an amazing two lane drive too up to Moab. You have several options available to avoid major mountain passes. Have a great trip.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 12:51 PM   #28

I've driven I70 both directions from Denver to Moab a few times. I drive a 39' W24 chassis Adventurer pulling a Wrangler. We roll down the road at 29,000 GCW most of the time. The 9 miles from Dillon CO to the Loveland Ski Area is pretty steep, sustained grades of 7% or greater. Going up I just tuck in with the Semi's and go whatever speed they are going. Typically 35-40MPH. I try to keep the RPM's between 3200 and 3500 but occasionally the coach shifts down into 2nd gear and revs above 4000RPM. I watch coolant and transmission temp closely. Tranny temp never goes above 175f but coolant temp often creeps above 215f in the steeper parts. As coolant temps climb past 210f headed higher I take evasive action like turning off the AC and activating my manual switch for the electric fans and backing off the throttle. I've seen 220f on that stretch of I70 a couple of times. I've been on grades way steeper in my coach but none were nearly 9 miles long.

On the way down I go slow. I start in at 40-45MPh. I slow down below 40MPH for a few of the sections. I manually shift the 6 speed Allison and try to keep the RPM under 4000 at all times. The Grade Brake on the W24/Allison will not hold you back, you will have to use the brakes. I find my comfortable speed at say 40-50 mph and I stay between those speeds. When I get to 50 I brake moderately hard down to 40 then release the brakes and let the speed build back up. In some sections I may select a lower gear and go even slower than 40 down that section. Our W24 chassis have huge quad piston caliper brakes on all 4 corners but you will boil the brake fluid on that section if you have to slow down in a hurry. The good news is there aren't many turns.

A Scan Tool of some sort is an absolute must. You have to be able to keep track of your coolant temp going up I70. If you rely on the gauge in the dash you will overheat the 8.1 and it will go into limp mode half way through the climb. You have to adjust the load on the motor and cooling system during the climb and the only way to know the temp of the coolant is with some sort of ODB2 scan tool.

There are lots of steeper sections of highway across the US but most aren't 8 miles long. And most don't start at 9000' and go to 11,200'.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice