Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2022, 01:08 PM   #29

This is also a great tool to use to plan your route. You can zero in on the steepest section of the route then use google maps and fly the section looking at the steep sections in detail. You can also use street view to check to see if the roads have shoulders or if there are places to pull over if you have an issue on the steeper sections.

This website works fantastic for planning the flattest route.

https://www.flattestroute.com/
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2022, 03:02 PM   #30

Send a message via ICQ to Farfman Send a message via AIM to Farfman
Absolutely 128 south from I70 onto MOAB for incredible river side views 👏👏👍🏼😎
Old 03-31-2022, 03:32 PM   #31

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfman View Post
OK, so taking 128 from I70 into Moab is truly an awesome drive, but you do need to be comfortable on a very narrow and winding road and be willing to forego the views as the driver. It is important to notify your passengers that this is likely the narrowest road they will navigate in an RV and that they should not be overly concerned when about half way to Moab there is a sign that says:

CAUTION ROAD NARROWS AHEAD

Not kidding...then it gets REALLY narrow! LOL

If you are not the adventurous type, then drive the extra 40 minutes and come south on 191 into Moab. Either way, this is simply must see country within our amazing country!!!
MarcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 03:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfman View Post
Yep, we did that one time. We were towing a 26' enclosed trailer and were 73' overall. My son was following with his similar setup. When we got to Moab, he asked me what I was thinking when I took that road. I just smiled and said "Pretty amazing ride, wasn't it". It would be a great ride in a Corvette.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilted Kilt View Post
Hoping to find someone with Class A motorhome experience that has travelled west from Denver or greater Denver area to Arches Nation Park, Moab area.

I would like to avoid Mt passed and high elevation climbs that will be rough on my 8.1. Time and distance aren't an issue. I travel in a Winnebago 35A, workhorse W24, 8.1 vortex.

I understand it's the mountains and dealing with climbs and elevations cannot be avoided altogether but would like to find the easiest driving route.

Go west from Denver on I-70 and turn left (south) at exit 182 in Utah.

It ain't rocket science.............
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:20 PM   #34

Tilted Kilt,

Not many alternatives to I70, but going west out of Denver on I70, I take Hwy 58 to Golden, then Hwy 6 to I70 just east of Idaho Springs. This avoids Floyd Hill, which is probably the worst hill on the trip; very long, steep and slow up and down with lots of traffic. Hwy 6 is winding 2 lane with 35-40mph speed limit, but grade and speed limit are easily handled, compared to Floyd Hill. To me, it is much better.

Mark
datsun78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 05:22 PM   #35

Tilted Kilt,

Forgot to add I drive a 40ft Class A.

Mark
datsun78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:01 PM   #36

When the wife's kid lived in Denver, {legal pot}

We did I70 west 4 times, visiting Moab 2 times.
Trip 1 1975 GMC Motorhome
Trip 2 2009 36'Thor, Ford P53 V-10
Trips 3&4 38' Country Coach DP, 300 HP Cat.

Always pulling a Toad, Mazda Miata, New Beatle, Focus.

Never a single problem. No over heating, No brake fade, never disconnected the Toad.

FWIW As much as I disliked the Thor and the P53, that Ford V-10 is a beast! The chassis slows these coaches down, not the engine. I can not think of a hill on any hi way, I would not attack with that Ford lump pulling me.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:14 AM   #37

Make sure to plan to eat at several of the restaurants in Moab! My wife and I have stayed there several times, hit many of the restaurants, all are fantastic!!
Swhartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:55 AM   #38

Not a problem. I70 to 191. I70 is rough, curvy, and has some long grades, but still a good, scenic drive if you take your time. Enjoy Moab. We’ll be there in a couple weeks.
Bogus JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Yep, we did that one time. We were towing a 26' enclosed trailer and were 73' overall. My son was following with his similar setup. When we got to Moab, he asked me what I was thinking when I took that road. I just smiled and said "Pretty amazing ride, wasn't it". It would be a great ride in a Corvette.

When we were in moab we took out toad up 128. Yes its beautiful. Yes its windy and narrow. Out toad is a mini cooper .... no problem![emoji4]
Old 04-01-2022, 11:03 AM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
We go to Moab every year or two from the southeast. Have done both main routes multiple times with a DP pulling a jeep. 191 is a 2 lane highway, but very open, a good RV'ing ride and very scenic near Moab.

I-40 to 191 north is the easiest. Some hills, but no passes.

I-70 west of Denver to 191 is very doable, but there are significant climbs and down slopes. An engine brake is very handy. Last time I saw a semi truck with its tires on fire due to braking I guess. Numerous vehicles will have to pull over due to brakes and overheating engines. I had to pull over once due to engine temp with my 360 HP cummins. Rest areas are readily available to pull over. Never saw a vehicle broke down on I-70. Like many have said, get in the right lane and go with the "slow" flow and enjoy the fantastic scenery.
BeachedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachedTiger View Post
We go to Moab every year or two from the southeast. Have done both main routes multiple times with a DP pulling a jeep. 191 is a 2 lane highway, but very open, a good RV'ing ride and very scenic near Moab.

I-40 to 191 north is the easiest. Some hills, but no passes.

I-70 west of Denver to 191 is very doable, but there are significant climbs and down slopes. An engine brake is very handy. Last time I saw a semi truck with its tires on fire due to braking I guess. Numerous vehicles will have to pull over due to brakes and overheating engines. I had to pull over once due to engine temp with my 360 HP cummins. Rest areas are readily available to pull over. Never saw a vehicle broke down on I-70. Like many have said, get in the right lane and go with the "slow" flow and enjoy the fantastic scenery.
He doesn't have a DP or an engine brake.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:16 PM   #42

I've lived in Colorado for 60 years, since before there was an I-70 or an Eisenhower Tunnel. As others have said, parts of I-70 are very scenic, but it's the most scenic parts that may be the most difficult. Going west from Denver, the continuous 6%, 9-mile, westbound downgrade from the Eisenhower Tunnel to Silverthorne is 3-lane, except when they are rebuilding it, which they are currently doing. We also had multiple mudslides last year in scenic Glenwood Canyon and I-70 was closed for a considerable period. The four-lane is now two as CDOT is rebuilding the damaged bridges. The mudslides were caused by rainfall on the burn scar from the previous year's wildfire and there is no guarantee that the same mudslides won't recur this summer. So, I-70 may not be quite the easy drive that others would have you believe.

Personally, i like taking even more scenic routes on good two-lane highways when I take my motorhome to the mountains. Unless there is a particular reason for coming to Denver, I might recommend an alternate route. At Limon leave I-70 and head to Colorado Springs on US 24. At the Springs, take CO 115 to Florence, then US 50 all the way to Grand Junction. You will have to cross Monarch Pass, but it is one of the easier passes across the Divide, with passing lanes on the east side. By taking this route, you can select from stopping to see scenic attractions along US 24/50 like Pikes Peak, the Royal Gorge, the gorgeous Collegiate Range, Curecanti NRA (the boat tour on Morrow Point Reservoir through Black Canyon is spectacular), and Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP.

If you want more info on scenic attractions and camping along the US highways in the Colorado Rockies, see my blog HERE.

Tags
advice