Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2022, 04:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Advice needed Denver to Moab

Hoping to find someone with Class A motorhome experience that has travelled west from Denver or greater Denver area to Arches Nation Park, Moab area.

I would like to avoid Mt passed and high elevation climbs that will be rough on my 8.1. Time and distance aren't an issue. I travel in a Winnebago 35A, workhorse W24, 8.1 vortex.

I understand it's the mountains and dealing with climbs and elevations cannot be avoided altogether but would like to find the easiest driving route.
Tilted Kilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2022, 04:46 PM   #2

Not exactly answering your question but I
made the trip from Denver on I-70 to Hwy 191 south to Moab last august.. I have a Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22r class C and was pulling a chevy sonic toad. My family lives in Arvada, CO yet I was scared to death to make this trip with the RV for the first time. I dont have a class A but wanted to let you know that in my case it was a fairly stress free trip using the Ford V10 tow/haul mode. You will get lots of responses. The grades on I-70 are not that bad and they are long. I was more worried about Wolfe Creek Pass past Pagosa Springs on the way back .......
Old 03-23-2022, 05:20 PM   #3

IMO, the best route with the least stress for a flatlander, is to take I-70 all the way to 191. The grades are very doable for your 8.1 and it's less stressful on the interstate than any two lane. You can't avoid elevation or mountain passes unless you come across on I-10 through NM and AZ way to the south, then up to Moab. We've done it with our 43' bus and 26' trailer with no problems except I-70 can be rough in areas.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:54 PM   #4

Tilted Kilt,
Yep, as others indicated, don't worry about this route. I-70 to 191 is a piece of cake. Sure there's some ups and downs but, they're not STRAIGHT UP and down. We've done it a zillion times with two different class A's. Our first one was the under powered 275HP V-10 34' Bounder towing our Jeep. The second one is the coach we have now, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. And it tows our jeep AND carries a motorcycle on the back.

191 from I-70 is almost all down hill, all the way to Arches entrance. You'll be just fine.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:17 AM   #5

I am with everybody else on the I70 route. I traveled it east last year, the hardest part the dealing with the condition of the road.

Things to remember is that its not a race to get to the top first. On some of the stepper climbs you may need to down shift, use your hazzard light so folks know you are going slow. Long time ago I was told when going down the hill use one gear lower than what you used going up. With todays transmissions not really sure if that plays a part anymore. It helps to not over use your brakes. Its all about taking your time and enjoy the moment. You will have nothing to worry about.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:44 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to agree with everyone else on using I-70 to 191. There are long grades, but if you take your time they are very easy to do.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:38 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
MW22r, thank you, this was perfect answer. I hope you have many successful journeys.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Fire Up, thank you, I knew there would be plenty of experienced people with good guidance. I will take those routes.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:49 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Crasher, thank you, I've done the trip from Albuquerque to Gallup to Cotez then up to Moab. This our first drive from the Denver area.
Old 03-24-2022, 05:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you All, I will study maps and details for the routes you have recommended. There's nothing better than advice from the experienced. Hope you all have great RV season.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
There is a procedure for descending grades for that transmission. You should find it in your Allison manual. Do you have the push button transmission selector, it makes down and up shifting a little easier. Select a gear that keeps you at the speed your comfortable with while descending without over revving too much. The rpms will run up higher and get louder than your use to, perhaps as high as 4000, but probably not on those grades? Use your brakes by jabbing them on fairly hard to trim off speed and rpm’s without riding them. Upshift or put into D as you get to a place where you can afford the extra speed and it will lower the rpm’s- usually toward the bottom of the grade. You will get thru this and gain much more confidence for other grades.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:43 AM   #12

Im going to offer a somewhat different perspective. Sure I70 is doable ... MY worry on that road is that the interstate is two lanes with often not a lot ofspace on the sides. If you break down you will block traffic and it will be really messy and long getting towed out of there.

If time is really not an issue, consider going NORTH from denver to I80 west, then 191 south. I80 is high plateau (no mountains, but still 10,000 feet!), MUCH more wide open, and less crowded. Very majestic in its own way.

If you do end up taking I70, most of the rest areas are on the western grade, so plan accordingly
Old 03-24-2022, 07:15 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I70, as others have commented.

Rather than 191, I prefer to take 128 into Moab. Very beautiful drive. Use the second 128 exit from I70 west bound (the first is/was very rough roadway).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:28 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Highway 128 is definitely a beautiful drive we took that coming into Moab but also went back in the car to drive it because you have to be on your peas and cues while driving the motorhome but it’s a great way to be welcomed into Moab! Highly recommend it. There are YouTube videos on that drive if you wanna get a taste far it but don’t watch too many of them because it’ll take the wow out of it.

Tags
advice