Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #29

Well granted I don't have the experience of most here as we are new to this. However; we went new because I really felt some of the recent changes were major in overall quality. I got to the point only an almost new unit was acceptable. We wound up buying a unit that had been on dealer lot for about a year so we got a bigger discount than if we had purchased current model year. One thing on used is to consider why the old owner got (or is getting) rid of the coach. Is it because of problems, leaving the life style, or simply getting something newer? Remember just because someone had a coach before you does not mean it will be problem free. However I will add if your budget is less than $350k you may well be better going to a higher end used unit from what I saw about the coaches when we were looking. Also a used coach will probably be cheaper overall even if it has more problems so you budget and what you can afford wil play a major role.

Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2016, 08:57 PM   #30

I could write a long rambling reply, but here is the short version:

Buy older high end if you are the reasonably handy type, if you don't panic at the idea of a burned out turn signal light that ends up also needing a new socket spliced in, or having to replace a leaky bathroom faucet. It is a real bonus here if you can do your own mid level maintenance, by this I mean anything from changing oil, to replacing hoses, or even shock absorbers.

Also high end does now necessarily mean limited edition Italian Marble floors, instead shop for motorhomes that were at least mid range, and certainly not entry level. Here I mean having things like real wood cabinets, corian instead of formica counters, full body paint, and fiberglass or Aluminum roofs, don't fall for the bells and whistles, and think they mean the coach must be high end, if you really want the bells and whistles many of them can be added later on.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:39 AM   #31

I went new because I am particular. Little things bother me. Sure I had the heartache of getting all the new post build bugs worked out. But now I know my coach very well. I have the color I want with the options I want. I know there is no black tank mountain that was accumulated from a previous owner. I know it has been maintained correctly since the beginning.
So it really matters what you want.
Hope that helps
Old 12-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #32

I'm going to toss in another gotcha to ponder. High end used to mean better construction materials and details. In recent times that has changed to more goodies and glitz. I understand the systems involved well enough to do most of my own work if I have the tools. I don't because the tools for some of it tend to be expensive and have a learning curve. Think modern diesel engines. That same creep comes into systems like using your Ipad to control everything. I also understand those systems and would much rather have a real switch. More reliable and less prone to mystery problems.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Easy answer, buy used high end.

Unless you've a lot of disposable cash in your bank!!!!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:29 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Used is a great way to go IF you can find a seller who is realistic about what their coach is worth. Unfortunately, a lot of folks pay way too much initially and then have their heads in the clouds about what the used value is. This is also why people talk so much about the "huge" depreciation hit you take buying used. If you buy right the depreciation isn't as bad as it often gets made out to be.

Interesting comment, but it's been my experience that more people take a "huge depreciation hit" when buying new, rather than when buying used. I would think that you would have to be really seriously over estimate the value of a used coach to make the "depreciation hit" as you call it more with a used coach than with a new coach!

I to am in the buy used, higher end, as much as you can afford to buy with cash. Also, a firm believer in pre-purchase inspection of BOTH the Chassis AND the Coach. And don't just settle for the professionals doing the inspections. Do YOUR OWN inspections as well. There are several really good do it yourself PDI checklists on the forum. Use them. If a dealer or private party gets stinky about "wasting their time", agree to not waste any MORE of it and move to the next coach.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I certainly agree with what seems to be the consensus here.... higher end used. We've bought three motorhome; first two were mid range used and the current coach higher end used. All three have served us well and we have no regrets. Maybe we got lucky but the last two were recent trade-ins from dealers and we felt we got good deals and excellent service from both dealers.... even well after the purchase. I would agree that, in general, good dealers are hard to find.

In addition to all the good advice already given I will add that if you buy from a dealer, you might want to establish some rules. We did and it worked for us. The rules were; 1) would only look at one owner coaches 2) would not consider any coach if the dealer could not/would not put us in touch with previous owner. 3) dealer agrees to let us stay in purchased coach on their lot for 2 - 3 days after sale and will fix any issue we find during that time.

In both dealer cases, it worked well for us.

Good luck with your search.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:10 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastonecheet View Post
I have to bug!!! now that me and my wife have tried our hand at traveling in a RV, we love it. We bought a older Dp to start with, but now would like to up grade. the question is!! is it better to buy a new but lower end DP or get a used but high and motorhome ?? and are the new or used ones worth it. What dealers treat you better than others, how about service under warranty.
Go used high end dp. Forget a dealer, buy from the owner who maintained and drove the MH.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
In addition to all the good advice already given I will add that if you buy from a dealer, you might want to establish some rules. We did and it worked for us. The rules were; 1) would only look at one owner coaches 2) would not consider any coach if the dealer could not/would not put us in touch with previous owner. 3) dealer agrees to let us stay in purchased coach on their lot for 2 - 3 days after sale and will fix any issue we find during that time.

In both dealer cases, it worked well for us.

Good luck with your search.
I asked at Lazy Days in Tampa and they will not put you in contact with the PO. I asked if they would allow the PO to contact me if he was willing and again stating privacy concerns they said no. I don't know how they would react if I made it a contingency, never got that far. Does the title list the PO?

Dealer allowing you to stay in the coach a couple of days is a great idea. Would any allow this without payment first? After it's paid for what's the incentive to fix anything, especially something major.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #38
Community Administrator

I'd try to press them for the other owner info. It can't hurt. You may find that info in the briefcase of manuals where the warranty cards may be kept. As far as staying in an unpaid unit , I doubt it , however Lazy Days gives a 30 day warranty on used RV's ( at least they used to ) .
Good luck with your decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I asked at Lazy Days in Tampa and they will not put you in contact with the PO. I asked if they would allow the PO to contact me if he was willing and again stating privacy concerns they said no. I don't know how they would react if I made it a contingency, never got that far. Does the title list the PO?

Dealer allowing you to stay in the coach a couple of days is a great idea. Would any allow this without payment first? After it's paid for what's the incentive to fix anything, especially something major.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #39

Buy used, mid to upper level. Someone else goes through the depreciation, and debugs it for you. We are on our third used coach and second diesel. We've been happy with all three of them. We are dreaming about our next one now, even know the brand, though it will be while before that happens.
Tizbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:30 AM   #40

We have owned eight motorhomes in the past 23 years. the first two were used and the rest were new. Each one was a step up in size and quality. I looked at used ones along the way, but what we had was better than what we saw. We were able to pick everything we wanted when buying new. The last three were from the same dealer. Only little problems and all handled promptly. We do not use our coach now as much as we used to, so thought about down sizing to an older unit. After looking at several older high line units, we decided that we did not want to give up the improvements our MH has above the older ones.

Overall, we are happy that we went with new. Our floor plan, our upgrades, our dirt, our maintenance and from a local dealer that takes care of our needs.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I went new because I am particular. Little things bother me. Sure I had the heartache of getting all the new post build bugs worked out. But now I know my coach very well. I have the color I want with the options I want. I know there is no black tank mountain that was accumulated from a previous owner. I know it has been maintained correctly since the beginning.
So it really matters what you want.
Hope that helps

X2. Just happy to have a coach. Never thought I would be able to. True I wanted an A, but was not happy with what the dealer with the best reputation, in the area had. Just so happened they had one C which turned out to be nearly perfect for me. If I ever get the opportunity to buy again, I will try for an A. After, several years of shopping, I know just the one I want and one I would settle for, it that one were not possible. In the meantime, I am enjoying new. Took two seasons to get everything fixed. Hopefully no more surprises.

Patience is an asset in all cases, here from shopping to buying new or used.

Merry Christmas.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #42

Foretravel Owners Club
Buy the highest quality that you can budget for... but hold $10k or so back for un- forseen issues. Try to stay away from coaches that require DEF..
We sold our '99 Infinity 34H and went shopping, looked at new mid range coaches, didn't like what we found, so payed cash for a 14 year old coach that was/is far higher quality build/fit & finish.
For example... look at the bottom of the slides... are they sealed (look like the exterior walls of the slide) or are they more or less exposed to the elements when extended? The answer should indicate the quality of engineering & build for the rest of the coach..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice