Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2016, 05:47 AM   #1

Advice on Battery charger

I don't have a MH yet, waiting for my boat to sell. I installed a 100 amp Charles marine grade 3 bank battery charger in my boat that costs about $1300. I'm thinking of removing it from the boat to use in my future DP. I know any DP I buy will have a batt charger, but the Charles charger is high quality with a lot of capacity.

It will be a bit of an effort to remove, but will if it's worth it. What do you guys think?
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Most motorhomes come equipped with a 3 or 4 stage charger of high quality. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. At least not until you know what any future MH already has in it.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The largest converter / charger output amps that is recommended for battery charging by lead-acid battery manufacturers is based on the rule C/3 where C is the battery bank Amp-hours. A typical low or mid range MH will have 160 AH or so. Your MH will already have a OEM 45 or 55 AH converter / charger.

If you are planning to add more batteries to the MH then the bigger converter / charger would be useful to replace the OEM one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Many Class A diesel pushers have 3 or 4 stage, 100-120 amp inverter/chargers. Lower end models are more likely to be in the 50-60 amp range.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 08:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I don't have a MH yet, waiting for my boat to sell. I installed a 100 amp Charles marine grade 3 bank battery charger in my boat that costs about $1300. I'm thinking of removing it from the boat to use in my future DP. I know any DP I buy will have a batt charger, but the Charles charger is high quality with a lot of capacity.
It will be a bit of an effort to remove, but will if it's worth it. What do you guys think?
timjet
I think if you think your boat will sell without that $1300 100 amp Charles marine grade 3 bank battery charger in it....remove it.
(But it's your boat and your charger...only you can decide what's best for you).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As Gary noted, most DPs in the size you are getting, will have an inverter/charger appropriate for that vehicle. From your post it sounds like you have a charger only, if so, you would some how have to add a 2000 or 2800 watt inverter. I'd leave it in the boat, as a selling point, your future DP should be fine with the OEM equipment.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, battery