Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Advice on buying a used DP?

It's been a while since I posted here and my family has been through a lot in that time. My wife passed away at 64 years old last November from ALS after a hard 4 years.

So now I've been retired for 3 years and I am thinking of getting back out on the road. We've (my wife and I) previously had a small TT and a 35 foot Class A gas burner but I've always watched those big DPs just seem to flow down the road.

Does the collective experience here have any advice for me?

Thanks in advance,
Ben
W4TDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ben! I'm so sorry for the loss of your wife!

We love our 2002 Windsor 40PBT! We chose to get an older DP instead of a newer gasser, and boy, am I glad we did! The ride is incredible and we've had very little trouble with it! It's great to be able to carry on a normal conversation or listen to music without the engine roaring under our feet!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #3

Were this me, I would contact a moblie RV technician (not a dealer) and inquire about them doing a bumper-to-bumper inspection, and cost.
Otherwise, I would contact wholesalewarranties.com and get a quote for an extended service contract, just in case something major happens. This includes a gaskets and seals rider in case a gasket fails causing engine or transmission damage, that is consequential damage which is not normally covered without the rider.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
What ever You end up with..GET AN INDEPENDENT Inspection/Survey before you lay down good money..
These are used and dealing with sellers is nearly the same as dealing with a used car salesman @ "Somewhat Honest John's" or "Kinda Flaky Fred's Used Cars & Taco Stand"

If your budget will allow.....
I would go with a used 10 to 19 year old, top drawer coach if you want the best that era has to offer..ie:Prevost conversion(Marathon?), Newell or even a Country Coach or Foretravel.
But try to stay with the manufacturers that are still in business..(much easier to get info and parts)..

Yes they may need updating of TV's and replacement of tires/shocks/air bags & such.... but the bones / quality of build and it's components will be superior to newer other brands/manufacturers & at an equal or somewhat lessor price me thinks..
If you are just at the looking stage..
check here to get a handle of what can be found...
ALL Pre Owned motorhomes Inventory
Bus-Stuff Luxury Coaches For Sale
Gilbert Inventory Archives - Premium Coach Group
Happy hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Look around and take your time. There are many used MH for sale. Once you find a MH you are interested in, get professional inspections done. If you don't do this BEFORE you purchase, you run the risk of spending significantly more AFTER the purchase. If something is found, the inspector should be able to give you an estimate to repair. You can then decide if you want to proceed and can use it to negotiate a better price. You will be going into it with your eyes open. IF nothing is found, GREAT!!

I would suggest that you get an independent certified RV mechanic to inspect all the RV systems, including the roof. In addition I would have the engine, transmission, frame, etc. inspected by a diesel service shop. Having a coolant and oil analysis by a lab (like JG Lubricants ) would reveal any hidden problems.

Make sure everything is in writing!! If you have to give a deposit, make sure it is refundabe and contingent upon successfully passing these inspections/tests.

I would do this to any used MH I was looking to buy.

https://www.jglubricantservices.com/
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

Ben, first, I'm sorry for your loss. Any loss is difficult, but a spouse is especially hard.

Now, on to coaches, if it is just you, you may be doing newer gassers a dis-service. We purchased a used Diesel Pusher, but there are two of us, and occasionally three, and I wanted a diesel for other reasons, like diesel generator, etc. BUT if we were looking for anything smaller than what we bought (38.5') I would DEFINITELY look at a gasser. They've come a LONG way since our 24' Leprechaun we owned back in the '90's!

As stated in other posts, whatever you look at, get a professional inspection of both the Chassis, and the Coach, and have any offer contingent upon successful results, with any deposit fully refundable. Unless the inspection is terribly bad, you may be able to use the inspection results to bargain on the price to offset repairs the inspection found recommended, or necessary. Lastly, check the date codes on the tires. Per Michelin's website, tires shouldn't be used if manufactured more than 10 years prior. My personal rule of thumb is that they are "aged out" at 7 years, so if the tires on a coach you are looking at are over say 5 years, figure new tires into the mix, either as a reduction in price, or as an expense you will have to pay soon after you purchase. Good luck in your search, and keep us advised on progress!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies thus far and also for the condolences. It's been hard living alone the last 9 months but praise God I have my daughter and her husband next door and other family close by.

Having my daughter near is another reason I am looking at another class A coach instead of a class C or even a B. No grand children yet but hope springs eternal

I had planned to have any coach I am serious about inspected thoroughly. Having had the used 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U for 8 years I know all to well about things needing to be replaced or repaired.
W4TDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, buying