Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #29

Purchase cautions

In those years the Cummins Isx has valve issues due to the EGR in # 6 cylinder.
The valve breaks and you are in for a $ 30,000 repair.
Dave
dsavage74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #30

There is a really nice 2004 Winnabago Vectra here in Sweet Home at a dealers lot with only just over 6000 miles on it that has the floorplan you are looking for and is a great coach. They are asking $55,000 for it. This coach when new sold for over $250,000. We looked it over and could find very little faults with it. We lived in one very similar for nearly 8 years so know where to look.
JimPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:55 PM   #31

Buy Newmar

My advise is Buy NEWMAR, I have had Fleetwood, Georgetown, 3 Tiffin’s and in 2015 I decided to go with Newmar 2016 D.S 42’. Newmar’s Custome Service is EXCELLENT and they stand behind their coach well after the warranty period, Newmar is easy to work with when you encounter problems, they help you and that is what matters in the end, THE ONLY PROBLEM is if you live in CA there is no one in this state that can help so the nearest dealer is Tucson AZ Freedom RV and they are excellent
Good luck
1543Oakhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:11 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Couple of other things to consider is has it been parked by the coastal areas. Sea salt can really take its toll fast. Check for rust, and corrosion. If is been used in hot humid areas they can have a lot of internal moisture damage, it’s better to find a unit from dry climates Arizona etc. Also, if it’s been stored in a enclosed area out of the sun, and the elements this will make a big difference down the road. Many units have been stored outside since it was built spending long times on sales lots, and outside storages facilities.
Blazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBM View Post
We are looking to buy another 40' DP and have a budget so looking at 2006 -2009 models mostly. I've been looking at Phaetons, is there a better choice in the same price range? We want front living room with 2 couches or 1 couch and 2 recliners and the bathroom between bedroom and kitchen since we regularly have an extra or 2 with us. What are your thoughts and suggestions?
:you might want to check out units in Canada as our dollar is way lower than yours and you might get a way better deal on a much newer unit than you can afford in the US.
Peter
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
I have a 2007 Winnebago Tour with a great floorplan that has served us well for over 10 years and 110,000+ miles. Large couch that reclines and opens to a king size bed. Eurochair that reclines with an ottoman. Large center bathroom with larger shower. Sleepnumber queen in the back with large closet.

Most importantly, it is functional with both the slides in as well as out.

Ours is the 40TD layout.
Ditto in spades. LOVE our (essentially same model) 2008 Itasca Horizon 40TD. Not only is it functional with slides in but it has a big vanity top in the middle bath (for my bride). Been so good for us. We bought it used and grew to love the floorplan and features more and more as we continued to discover very thoughtful little, seemingly insignificant, details. You are right to put floorplan way ahead of radiator.
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #35

Tiffin Allegro Bus has side radiator, 450HP and the floorplan you are looking for.
heathtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavage74 View Post
In those years the Cummins Isx has valve issues due to the EGR in # 6 cylinder.
The valve breaks and you are in for a $ 30,000 repair.
Dave
Also don’t forget the Cummins recall for the piston failure on some of the 2005-2006 400hp motors... I lost $30,009 because of it.
MRTSRVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Beaver Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry L T View Post
Try to find one that has a true Jake brake not an exhaust brake.
I wouldn't hesitate buying one with an exhaust brake. We owned a Beaver Marquis with CAT motor and it worked flawlessly. Beautiful coach riding on bus chassis. The one important item to check, if you purchase one of these high price coaches, is the type of water and coach heaters they have. Ours was a Aqua Hot running on diesel that was very prone to constant maintenance. Plus they would smoke up the campground at times when in use. Just a thought.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #38

Like my Travel Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBM View Post
We are looking to buy another 40' DP and have a budget so looking at 2006 -2009 models mostly. I've been looking at Phaetons, is there a better choice in the same price range? We want front living room with 2 couches or 1 couch and 2 recliners and the bathroom between bedroom and kitchen since we regularly have an extra or 2 with us. What are your thoughts and suggestions?
I’m happy with my ‘06 Travel Supreme. It has a 400 HP Cumins, side radiator, 4 slides, and the features you want inside. Although the company was taken over by Entegra, parts are easily available
MrDave2You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #39

Read our #39 and other postings on:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-...m_medium=email
BarryHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #40

2008 Monaco Diplomat

My 2008 Monaco Diplomat drives nice, pulls my Cadillac SRX as if wasn't there, but what sold me was the layout. On the driver's side I have a full side slideout. IMO it's the best configuration out there. The previous owner did some mods I've had to undo, but for the price I had enough left in the budget to take care of those.

The previous owner did service the coach according to the owners manual. Since it was eight years old when I purchased it I had the belt replaced and and to get even better performance I up-chipped the engine to 450 HP. Torque was also improved, but I forget the exact Dyno Tune numbers.

It's rear radiator, but I don't see that as too big a deal. Service / access via the rear closet is a bit of a pain but can be done.
cponlinenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #41

Another option

Might be the Newmar Dutch Star. Its a jewel
Hwy Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #42

Used DP

Hello NBM
After much researc, many conversations I just purchased a 08’ Phaeton 42’ DP. Every one I have spoke with told me this was a great move. Great coach, best resale of any coach and typically most desired. Good luck with what ever you purchase.
MDomoCal.
MDomoCal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, purchase