Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Advice on glues

I have gotten wonderful advice on many questions in this forum. However, Iam currently in the process of rebuilding inner wall to outer skin to eliminate large section of delamination. Need positive advice on glues. See many ideas here, but nothing really positive. Need glue for Filon to luan, Need glue for Luan to foam. Need expert advice, as so many people offer ideas that seem unproven.
Southwest Florida
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Bird View Post
I have gotten wonderful advice on many questions in this forum. However, Iam currently in the process of rebuilding inner wall to outer skin to eliminate large section of delamination. Need positive advice on glues. See many ideas here, but nothing really positive. Need glue for Filon to luan, Need glue for Luan to foam. Need expert advice, as so many people offer ideas that seem unproven.
Southwest Florida
Some kind of contact cement would be your best bet since it would be difficult to impossible to clamp the glued area. What kind depends on many things. If regluing Filon to the original luan, a heavy bodied cement would be needed. If gluing new Filon to new luan, almost any kind of contact cement could be used.

Luan to foam would require a contact cement designed for use with foam to avoid having the solvents in the cement disolving the surface of the foam. Usually foam compatible contact cements are water based.

Applying contact cements require that the cement coated mating surfaces be kept separated until completely dry. Initial alignment is critical since once the surfaces contact each other, they are pretty much stuck for keeps.

Partially delamination would be much trickier. If only a small portion of the surface is still adhering, it would be better to carefully separate them, then reglue the entire piece.

I do not know what would work well with just small areas because of the difficulty clamping them. Contact cements would not work well here.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
Call 1-800 3M Helps.
jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Would it be possible for you to post photos of where you are working? Based on your PM, a mastic type adhesive, such as Liquid Nails, or a marine adhesive sealer, like 3M 5200, might work better.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
X2 on the 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive. LadyFitz beat me to that. You can get it in tubes for your caulking gun for around $25/tube--fast dry and extra strong hold and waterproof.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
This site contains lots of suggestions, possibly something will help.

This to That (Glue Advice)

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
X3 on the 5200. The regular formula is a slow drying and it would need to be clamped while it was drying. There is a fast acting which still takes a fairly long drying time.

Might consider one of the Gorilla glues Gorilla Glue - Home
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Rebuilding delaminated wall on class A MH

Well, except for applying wall paper on interior, I am done. Re-did a section under left side window behind sofa. Section ended up being 54" long by 36" high. Resulted from previous owner's use of Latex caulk to seal window. Never works and makes a mess. Luckily, most of Filon was seperated from Luan and was easy to remove except for a few spots which I peeled off or sanded. Found out the hard way that Liquid Nails is definitely a No-No, WON'T STICK. Wound up using contact cement, which worked great, Glued new 3/8 plywood backing to Filon and then using new styrofoam which came with foil backing and made it easy to contact cement to plywood. Thanks for all your help!!!!
Lessons learned:
1. use contact cement only.
2. adhere Filon to plywood before making fast inside.
3. save Liquid nails for home use.
4. Never Never use any caulking material except ProFlex RV around windows.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have done the passenger side of my 34 ft. pace arrow,(two years ago) the whole side was delamanated the first contact cement that I used ate the foam insulation, I had to change contact cement but it was not as good as the first cement that I used, there are a few places that are not sticking well, but for the biggest part all is doing ok as I had to do the whole side. I have done a few other tt & rvs and contact cement is all that I have used..
dirty harryo is offline   Reply With Quote