Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Advice on picking up new rv from dealer?

I'm an rv rookie. My wife and I are picking up our new diesel pusher from the dealer this weekend. Anything you have learned about what we should ask or watch out for when we get our walk-through and take delivery? Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #2

Yes, I have sold RVs and the finance manager will be trying to upsell you on additional items like warranty, tire protection etc... Don't be fooled, he makes a commission on each one. Also there are some items you may want but do not want to be financing them and paying interest on some kind of item for 15 years on top of the purchase price.
pplwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Search for "PDI" (pre delivery inspection) on IRV2 and you will find many excellent posts in what to look for.

Hope that helps!
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:04 PM   #4

Do not let them rush you. This is your time to ask any question. Do not let them end the PDI until both of you are satisfied that you understand every feature and how to operate everything. Do not write the final payment until you are satisfied with everything. Be patient and do not accept the coach until every problem has been corrected. A good dealer will do it right and it will be a pleasant process. Remember that you are in charge right up until you sign the last form and make the payment. After that, the dealer is in charge.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They should have a place for you to stay onside for a couple three days. In this time they show you and you learn and try all the systems. And they fix items right then and there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:13 PM   #6

Operate every single feature at least once. Fill with water and propane. Make sure all appliances work for everything they are supposed to. Inspect the coach inside and outside top to bottom for fit and finish. Operate all window sliders and shades. Crawl up on the roof and inspect sealed joints. At least a 20 Mile drive over all kinds of roads and speeds.
Make a list of every single defect. You will probably find many from simple to complex. Give the dealer a copy and tell him to call you when all are fixed properly and you will come back and sign, pay and take delivery.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:09 AM   #7

My best offering is a combination of all of the above. First make sure everything is full that is supposed to be. Every panel, door, and access needs to be opened and inspected. Have a flashlight, camera, IR thermometer, notepad, masking tape, and a sharpie. Something you don't like or not understand, make a note and mark with tape. Go through set up and take down process multiple times. Go back and forth between shore power and generator several times to ensure smooth transition. Run everything on the coach during the change over and then on generator for several hours. Heat the water and check flow and temp to make sure not still in bypass, cut heater off run till water cool and then reheat with the system not used first time. Wiggle, jiggle, turn and pull every connection you see for tightness and stability. Ask where wiring and plumbing goes into slides and watch these ares as slides are manipulated for binding or rubbing. Look under the slides from the interior floor and make sure all of the construction debris has been cleaned out and not in danger of interfere with rollers. Also remove at least the bottom most drawers and look under and behind for hidden treasures. Run all of the faucets on both city water and pump. Make sure the inboard water filter has been installed. Listen for and thumping and vibrations on both systems while in use. Make sure you have the same water pressure everywhere with slides open and closed. Have the lug nuts rerouted. Check all of your tv's and do channel scans and flip thru, then see if they have a cable hookup and check again. Look at the breaker box and make sure that they are all labeled and make sure exactly what works in "boondock" mode. Check to make sure every manual is there. Chassis owners, coach owners, and the manual for every added part that has a switch or a moving part. Then request the wiring and plumbing diagram for the entire coach. Go under the coach and look for anything loose, bent, or just doesn't look right. Check every compartment and especially door alignment. They should plan on a 4-6 hour PDI then everybody take a break and you explore the coach to see if you have any questions.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 AM   #8

Very good advice here.

Be sure to get any repairs done NOW—before you sign and take possession—while they have incentive to get your list done. Because after you drive away, and you need further post sale repairs, your salesman will be out of the loop, you will be turned over to the service dept. and good luck with getting timely service with them. Just read some of those posts on this forum.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:25 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Take a video of the whole PDI. Take your wife or a friend to video it. It's info overload and reviewing it later is valuable, believe me.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:58 AM   #10

If I ever purchased another RV from a dealer I would do the PDI before signing and paying.
Then create my punch list and not sign and pay till it was all done to my satisfaction.
I am guessing here but not many dealers will do this. Then again, I will not be buying another RV.
Best of luck. Do take your time (chances are you are paying extra for that PDI). Video is an awesome thing if they let you. Chances are the person doing it will not know what they are talking about.
Stay on site a couple nights so any questions you have can be answered fairly quickly. Call the manufacturer with questions.
They folks here in irv2 are a great resource too. IMO, much better than a dealer.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:34 AM   #11
WDW

Advice on picking up new rv from dealer?

Get a mechanic's floor creeper, a powerful flashlight and your camera and inspect the underside. You might be surprised at what you find. Pay close attention to surface rust poorly mounted wires and hoses, wires that are not in wire loom and of course kinked and bent hoses and wires.

Check the tightness of all things mounted to the roof and seals.

Oh, and request a builders sheet. The dealer probably won't have it, but they can get it from the factory, and that will be a page with every component the manufacturer and the serial number. Everything from air-conditioners, furnaces, TVs, water pump, inverter, etc.
WDW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:48 AM   #12

They will try and sell you a extended warranty and will say it is only a few dollars more a month. They almost had me at that, then I asked what the total cost of the warranty would be and it was over $10000. I had done my homework and knew I could get a extended warranty around $4000. They then told me they wouldn't accept any other warranty, but I knew they would, and if not, then there are other RV service centers that would love my business.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New RV

Some excellent advise from The Powells and others listed above.

As stated by a number of folks on here, make sure EVERYTHING works as designed and intended and that YOU understand how everything works.

If something needs adjustment and/or repair, make sure it's done BEFORE you leave with the unit. Forget about the BS "we'll take care of it on your first service visit".....Have it taken care of before you leave or sign any papers and, of course, before you pay for the unit.
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #14

It's like information overload when you take possession of the rig from the dealership. If you need to take your iPad or some device and record it because you're not going remember everything. Especially when I gets on some of the technical mechanical stuff. Have a blast and enjoy
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, dealer