Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
"high line"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
What parts, that will need replacing, would be harder to find? Remember, we are talking high line, not Winnebagos.

Jim E

What is meant by "high line"?

Thanks
bukzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
What is meant by "high line"?

Thanks
Top two or three models from Country Coach and Monaco, Beaver Marquis, Foretravel U320, to name a few.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #31

Ron,

I have a 1993 Pace Arrow 454 just wondering how many miles per gallon you get with your rig?

Thanks Rod
rkrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #32

Seems to me you have already made up your mind, go with it. You will enjoy travel in the Motor Home much more than a TT.
Take your time, find that great deal on a Coach in good shape that will make your wife happy. You get to kick the tires and check the oil, she is in charge of everything else.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is the advice I give: If you plan on moving often (At least once a month and at least 30 miles per move) then a Motor Home is a very good choice, That way campground to campground you will likely get around 8MPG but when you "Drop" the towed and head to the store for bread and milk you may well get 30 MPG.

However if you only plan on moving on rare occasions, Then a motor home will not like that... Like all vehicles it needs to be DRIVEN on a regular basis, Sitting still is not good for it in the least. A Trailer (Either a TT or a 5er) is much better at just sitting there.

The problem with a Trailer though is camp ground to camp ground you still get about 8MPG (All other factors being equal) but the run to the store.. perhaps 12 to 15 tops.

Still, I have let vehicles sit for six months, and the repair cost would have bought a lot of gas.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #34

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkrod
Ron,

I have a 1993 Pace Arrow 454 just wondering how many miles per gallon you get with your rig?

Thanks Rod
Rod, Miles per gallon? What's that? Gallons per mile maybe . I'm going to give you my best NFPA (national fire protection association) answer
Ready for it? IT DEPENDS!

Sorry had to do it for the fire inspectors in the crowd.

Actually I have found that when (long trips)fully loaded(minus 1/2 water tank) doing 65 mph on flat land we can get about 8-8.5 mpg. If I feel speedy and do 75 it drops to about 4.75mpg.
We took it slow going over,through and around the big hills in Colorado last year and averaged around 6-7mpg. That's full to the gills for 2 adults and 4 kids plus to big dogs.
We took a weekend trip to Omaha and averaged closer to 9 mpg.
All this time my autoparkbrake was slowly squeezing the driveline brakes but never felt it. Anyway Roger Haag talked me through the fix and it runs smoother now so I expect to stay around the 7-9mpg range.
If you have the P30 chassis send me a PM with your email and I'll send you all the info Roger sent me on your braking system. Also, make sure you look in the files section of the IRV2 website- I uploaded the generator manual, all wiring and plumbing schematics and will soon scan all my chassis manuals and other docs.
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Should I buy a Motorhome or stay with a TT

I just bought a 1992 Airstream Legacy 31. This motorhome has a 454 with a banks system. I have 114,000 miles on her and it runs like a new onw. When it was new the owner installed the Banks system and an Amsoil filtering system. The quality of this MH is some of the best that I ahave seen, and I am a retired cabinetmaker.. I couldn/t buy a used truck for what I purchased this for (Nov 2010). Any thing that went wrong with this rig they fixed or replaced. I did have some roof leak problems, that I fixed . This took one day and $300. Just a real nice rig. It't to bad they stoped making them in 2005. By the way I get 10 mpg pulling my 1995 Jeep Wrangler. Every thing works perfectly.
desikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Plunge!!

OK......I've finally done it! I have purchased a 1998 36ft National Tradewinds 7370 diesel pusher MH, 300 Cat TD, Allison 6-speed.....scary! Also......I got a 2001 Chev ZR2 Tracker Toad, including the towbar in the deal. And, now I will have my 31ft Airstream and GMC Suburban 2500 "for sale". The work begins......
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bill - been there and done that. Hope my opinion helps. Don't rush your decision. This is what worked for me to go from a pop-up to motorhome.
I bought my used class a in the late fall when prices were lowest and sellers are willing to negotiate; to sell prior to winter. Many sellers were calling me back after I looked to offer me lower prices. I saw that I was actually providing the sellers hope and a favor. I looked at class c's, but for the same price the class a's were a much nicer motorhome with less "holes" to leak (i.e. the class c cab overhang). Keep it simple - good engine/tranny, good tires, good roof, and the less moving parts the better (IMO). Plan/save up to spend maintenance money that 1st year to get it right. My battle plan when buying just prior to winter: Step 1 - check out the system and winterize ASAP. Include special focus on water system and roof. Step 2 - research/learn your systems using this forum. Order all owners manuals ou can find. Step 3 - find a good, reputable truck mechanic - he will be your new best friend. I found a lot of RV Dealers were high priced and more focused on the house systems that you can learn and work on yourself - use them when you have to and be prepared to pay. Enough for now - go research and find you new home.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I type too slow - that's OK, I'm old too. Congratulations.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I guess I type too slow - that's OK, I'm old too. Congratulations.
Yeah, we all are getting older. Thanks for the encouraging words, Tom. I have been FTing in my Airstream for 4 tears, before that I spent a year making repairs and getting to know how things worked and where everything was. So when I checked out my new MH, I think the owner was surprised and impressed with how many questions I asked and how many places I wanted to look and poke in. Now I've got to learn a new system, but many items are similar/same. But the big diesel Cat engine is all new to me and not exactly easy to get to.....but I'm a fast learner. Bill
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #40

Stogie,

Great signature line.
Quote:
An RV'r is someone driving a $300,000.00 Motorhome towing a $40,000.00 car and looking for a free place to park.
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote