Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed a magnaflow Stainless muffler. its a straight though design just like a Aero.
Mine has no drone. it also has stainless packing as well.

Magnflow has 2 kinds of diesel mufflers Race and street, identical in every way except one. Their street mufflers have packing.

I bought this one 2 years ago (its the longest one they sell)
http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/...rentProductId=
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Aero Muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by comanche View Post
Well I order my muffler today can not wait
to try iit out. Has anyone. Tryed one
Heard a lot of good thinks about them

I'm removing my Aero muffler next month and re-installing my OEM muffler. While many folks in this forum love them, I used mine for two seasons and I'm not a fan.

Two reasons: it's exceptionally louder than the stock muffler, at least on my engine. Some folks say it's not that noticeable, but it's too loud for my taste. The main reason I'm ripping it off is the excessive exhaust fumes it allows. The OEM muffler has an integrated cat converter which helps filter exhaust. The Aero is a free flowing muffler, so it does no filtering. The fumes come into play when I climb in my dingy after towing it. The interior of the dingy smells like heavy diesel exhaust. This was never a problem with the stock muffler. When my wife follows me in her car to drop the MH off for service or the like, she has to keep her distance, as the exhaust fumes choke her out.

None of this may bother other folks, but since I've seen no improvement in power, exhaust temps or fuel economy, I see no reason to put up with the fumes.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I'm removing my Aero muffler next month and re-installing my OEM muffler. While many folks in this forum love them, I used mine for two seasons and I'm not a fan.

Two reasons: it's exceptionally louder than the stock muffler, at least on my engine. Some folks say it's not that noticeable, but it's too loud for my taste. The main reason I'm ripping it off is the excessive exhaust fumes it allows. The OEM muffler has an integrated cat converter which helps filter exhaust. The Aero is a free flowing muffler, so it does no filtering. The fumes come into play when I climb in my dingy after towing it. The interior of the dingy smells like heavy diesel exhaust. This was never a problem with the stock muffler. When my wife follows me in her car to drop the MH off for service or the like, she has to keep her distance, as the exhaust fumes choke her out.

None of this may bother other folks, but since I've seen no improvement in power, exhaust temps or fuel economy, I see no reason to put up with the fumes.

Craig
I took my aero off and replaced with straight pipe. Aero was louder than stock, straight pipe is much louder. I have not seen any improvements also with aero or straight pipe.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:53 PM   #32

Foretravel Owners Club
Total agreement for some folks, me, I love the Walker resonator, very slightly Lou der than the OEM Cowl design muffler. but to each their own. As for not noticing a n improvement in power, reduced heat in bed room etc, am thinking Might not notice a flat tire either.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:22 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
...Is there any chance it's installed backward? I understand they are not marked inlet/outlet and I understand it makes a difference in sound level.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

It is installed correctly. IN and OUT were marked. It is MUCH louder than the stock muffler, with a very annoying drone in the 1,600 to 1,700 RPM area. At highway speeds (65-70 mph) I'm right in that RPM range and the drone inside the coach is WAY too loud.

I also did not notice any difference in performance or mileage. I keep very accurate MPG records and saw zero change with the installation of this muffler. It was a big waste of money and time.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:16 AM   #34

Foretravel Owners Club
Have to open the window to hear anything and drive under a bridge to hear my slightly louder exhaust, since my setup uses the Cummins iSM500, wondering what engine would be so loud, maybe a non insulated box ? With so many enjoying the advantages, sure is interesting. Agree, I do not gain any mpg, I just Arrive sooner as I drive faster enjoying the noticeable hp gain.
Dave M
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #35

Might not notice a flat tire either.
Dave M[/QUOTE]

I sure you are right you always are.