Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck: Before you leave, an old article from the Freightliner Owners Club.
Put out by ECO Farr. It's pages 10 and 11...
Page 10
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 03:40 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Wow, OK I am a 40 year diehard gear head and tune professional supercharged alcohol fed dragracing cars so I can't help myself here and I have questions on that. So how does dirt get through the K&N filter and past the piston rings into the oil? That is three sets of rings and an oil scraper on each piston. If dirt particles are getting past rings then oil would also be getting past the other way and the engine would be smoking. If very fine dirt got past the air filter into the cylinders it would be so fine that it would be burned off during combustion. Also, if something is showing up in the oil analysis then the question is why isn't the oil filter doing its job and filtering it out? Sounds like a problem in the oil filter. We don't use any air filters on our supercharged cars and some tracks in Florida, and Arizona have blowing sand on them and we never see that get past everything into the oil. Sometimes I even see sand turned to fine glass particles on the sparkplug center porcelein.

Mr300ce you don't put oil on the big truck and DP K&N air filters.
As for the Dry K&N filters, why spend more than necessay, as they won't perform any better than a good paper filter.

And for the other things, you'll just have to do research, or go to college as I did, automotive engineering.

Something I learned while sitting in those classes so long ago, was that the teacher is presenting knowledge derived from multiple sources (industry, science, etc), beside personal expirience.

Please keep up the input, questions, & desire to learn. It causes all of us to question and find the answers together.

Quick search found this, but gotta go, GF is waiting.

Air Filtration Test
Old 02-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Chuck: Before you leave, an old article from the Freightliner Owners Club.
Put out by ECO Farr. It's pages 10 and 11...
Page 10
Thanks for the info Hooligan. The more information one has, the better able you are to make a decision that will satisfy your needs. Thats the point I was trying to make.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
I do used oil analysis.

I, and many others, have found that K & N cleanable air filter elements let dirt into the engine oil. Not good if you ask me.

I do believe that the K & N elements are freer flowing and could increase power at wide open throttle vs a stock element.

I'd use a K & N for racing, but not on my MHs or daily drivers.

I hope this helps.
And I've had just the opposite - used K&N for years on several different vehicles, including 2 different Dodge/Cummins rigs - NEVER any issues with dirt contamination in my oil samples regularly tested by Blackstone Labs...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
And I've had just the opposite - used K&N for years on several different vehicles, including 2 different Dodge/Cummins rigs - NEVER any issues with dirt contamination in my oil samples regularly tested by Blackstone Labs...
Just had to respond. A lot of folks advocate using after market "things" for their vehicles including MHs. That statement is usually followed by, " I have been using that for x number of years with no problems." My point is, would you have problems if you used what was supplied by the manufacturer? I'm not debating dirt in your oil just buying and using highly advertised high priced after market "things".

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
Just had to respond. A lot of folks advocate using after market "things" for their vehicles including MHs. That statement is usually followed by, " I have been using that for x number of years with no problems." My point is, would you have problems if you used what was supplied by the manufacturer? I'm not debating dirt in your oil just buying and using highly advertised high priced after market "things".

Jim E
At least in my case, the first hard pull up a grade with our 5er in tow sucked the OEM plain paper filter completely out of shape - wasn't up to the air flow needs of high turbo boost, and yes, it was a new paper filter, unclogged.

Since the initial use of the K&N, experiments with larger hi-flow filters ended me up with the Donaldson nano-fibre element seen below - at least it's in there under the blue fabric outer cover:

That Donaldson, with it's advertised greater filtration capabilities, shows no actual improvement over the previous K&N as to oil analysis figures, but is easier to fit in the space available, and is good for at least several cleanings before it must be replaced with a new one.

And as to the statement further above by another poster, there most certainly IS a visible and direct correlation between quality of air filtration and various wear and contamination numbers seen in oil analysis, or else many truckers and private vehicle owners wouldn't be spending the $40 or so per test to monitor wear and contamination...
Old 02-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
I run a K&N WITH outerwears in the worst conditions the you can put a internal combustion engine in, the sand dunes. As long as the the filter was oiled properly and tight on the intake and free of holes, I have never found dust, sand or dirt down stream of the filter, or in the filter. This is on a 2 stroke quad, and any one who has pushed a 2 stroke engine too far by leaning the carb out too far knows, they run like a mofo then burns down.

I obviously need mental help, as I am a duner. That being said, I have as much money into my dune quad engine as it cost to buy a nice used car. I can't afford to rebuild it every trip out, but I still use K&N filters on the carbs, that is how much I trust them.

Foam works just as well, but clogs up much faster and dies even faster from sand making it's way into the filter. You CAN NOT run a outterwear on any oiled foam filter as the oil will clog it and choke it down to all most no flow.
BobKomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #22

Gary-K7GLD,

Just curious, did your puller come equipped to pull the load you have or was it retrofitted?

Jim E
Old 02-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Gary-K7GLD,

Just curious, did your puller come equipped to pull the load you have or was it retrofitted?

Jim E
Here's what I was towing:

That is a 6500 lb KIT 5er - I'm pretty sure the '02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 should pull it OK...

BUT, that WAS full throttle up California Hwy 50 just above Placerville for a first test of the then-new truck - pretty steep grade at that point.

Also, FWIW, that truck over the years has been power modded, to the point of nearly 1000 ft lbs torque, and over 427 HP at the rear wheels...
Old 02-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #24

John,

I'm not arguing the point, just curious. I have read and personally know of people who pull more than the truck is equipped for. An example, a Ford F150 has the same towing capacity as a Ford F250. The 250 has a greater GVWR but that has nothing to do with towing, that is the GCWR. Folks buy the 250 expecting it capable of towing more than the 150, just not true.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #25

Quote:
John,

I'm not arguing the point, just curious. I have read and personally know of people who pull more than the truck is equipped for. An example, a Ford F150 has the same towing capacity as a Ford F250. The 250 has a greater GVWR but that has nothing to do with towing, that is the GCWR. Folks buy the 250 expecting it capable of towing more than the 150, just not true.
UMMmmmm - for the record, I LIVE in the town of John Day, Eastern Oregon - my NAME is Gary, my Amateur Radio callsign is K7GLD, included for other Amateur Radio hams also using this board...

My NAME is no more "John", than it is '88 Winnebago, '88 KIT 5er - or '02 Dodge...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
UMMmmmm - for the record, I LIVE in the town of John Day, Eastern Oregon - my NAME is Gary, my Amateur Radio callsign is K7GLD, included for other Amateur Radio hams also using this board...

My NAME is no more "John", than it is '88 Winnebago, '88 KIT 5er - or '02 Dodge...
Gary,

I'm sorry, I meant no insult or anything derogatory. Just made a mistake with your signature line. I Honestly thought your name was John Day and lived in Eastern Oregon.

Jim
Old 02-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Gary,

I'm sorry, I meant no insult or anything derogatory. Just made a mistake with your signature line. I Honestly thought your name was John Day and lived in Eastern Oregon.

Jim
NO PROBLEM Jim - I'm just looking forward to lots more future exchanges with you, and figured you'd rather be aware of my real name...

Fact is, "John" is by FAR one of the NICER names I've been called thru the years!