Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Age of coach according to insurance company

I just purchased a used DP on a Freightliner chassis. The unit (according to the bill of sale and on line brochures) is a 2010. When I called State Farm to insure it, they said it was an '08 based on the VIN. They are correct and that often happens. Mine was particularly different in that it was (according to Freightliner records) sold to National RV (who closed), then showed up on the assembly line in Elkhart, IN and finally put in service in September 2009 as a Damon 2010 model. State Farm has it on my policy as an '08. I'm sure others have had this issue with their insurance company. I am just looking for others' experience and how it got resolved. Yes, I know I can just go to another insurance company but I prefer not to resort to that if I can make some logic work with a beancounter and their computer in Bloomington, IL.

Kuppajoe
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #2

If your TITLE says other than 2008, you have a good case to have the insurance company value the rig as a different year. Get it in writing if they agree.

You might want to speak to Progressive - They seem to know RV's better than some.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am with Progressive and according to my policy, my rig is a 2010. The chassis is a 2008, which is nice for registrations as I pay much less.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2009 Fleetwood but the chassis is a 2007 and my insurance company has it insured as a 2009 Fleetwood. I thought they went off of the year the motorhome was built not the chassis.
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

You may want to read this

http://www.2rvguys.com/Q&As%20on%20S...Motorhomes.pdf

Q & A’s on Split Model Years for Motorhomes

......."The final stage motorhome manufacturer has authority to designate on the completed vehicle MCO the model year of the completed motorhome. See Federal Trade Commission Staff Opinion (March 5, 2001)......."

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #6

well... there you are, i learned something new today.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RVIA used to have a page on this subject. Federal Law requires the states to title it according to the completed vehicles manufacturer designation. If you bought it as a 2010 model then that's what the state is required to title it as. For some reason a few states still go by the chassis VIN#. They need to change that or they're in violation of the law.

I see the link above is to the RVIA publication but hosted elsewhere. Here's more of the info there:

What information is used by state DMV offices to register motorhomes?

When a consumer has a new motorhome registered for the first time, the state DMV will use both the VIN assigned by the incomplete vehicle manufacturer and the model year and make assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer for the vehicle registration. All states should title motorhomes using the model year assigned by the final stage motorhome manufacturer.

What should I do if a state DMV registers a new motorhome with the chassis model year?

If a DMV employee insists on using the incomplete chassis model year, please call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 for assistance. Ask for the Government Affairs Department
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great topic and it's very true. I did a Car Fax on my used MH and noted that yes the chasis is a 2002 but MH is a 2003. The Chassis had been made and sold in 2002. Then registered as a 2003, ford even states it manufactured in 2002 and then agian in 2003 as a MH chassis then sold to Winebago for MH manufacturing.
If you want to find out more about your MH then do a Car Fax.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Many thanks to the responders for exactly the information I needed.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have had the opposite thing happen. We bought our coach used as a 2000 model, privately form a fellow that imported it into Canada from Florida. It was registered as a 2000, and the build date was stamped as 2000 on the roadmaster chassis as well as the house. My insurance company said that the vin# comes up as a 2001 and their thinking is that after a certain build date the unit will probably be sold the next year. I questioned them about this and they checked with their head office and they said it has to be insured as a 2001. To make a long story short the DMV office has now changed the title to a 2001.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
VIN Decoder Website

Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Resolved! My insurance company is willing to insure the coach at the age shown on the state registration which is 2010. I did quote from the RVIA Q&A mentioned in the earlier post which did get their attention.

Tags
insurance