Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #1

Air Bag suspension leak

I have a 2000 Harney Coach, Has 4 new air bags as of last year. I have crawled all over this coach and I can not find the reason the air bags will not hold air for over 8-10 hours. Checked every line and fitting and no sign of air leak.
Maybe this is normal, but it used to hold air a lot longer up to 24 hours.
Am i looking for a problem that doesn't exist? I read another post on this subject awhile ago, but can't find it.
All ideas are welcome!
Thanks
busyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #2

Is this recent or did it start when the air bags were changed? Do all go down or just one?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:20 PM   #3

It has been going on for awhile. I am just trying to figure out why. The air bags all seem to be going down the same amount and after about 6-8 hours the dash air gauge show O air pressure;
Thanks for you input
Old 10-25-2021, 09:02 PM   #4

Have you checked the height control valves? They can leak from their bodies or stems.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
If your gages are reading 0 also then you have some leaks at or before the pressure protection valves. Need to get that addressed first, normally they would not allow the tanks to drop below 60-65psi. Then you can start looking for leaks in rest of system.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:35 AM   #6

Soapy water in a spray bottle and a good light are a big help. Anything can leak, not just fittings. Tanks rust, make sure lines aren't rubbing anything. The pressure protection valve isolates the brakes from the rest of the system. Start at the compressor and follow the lines.

https://bisonfleet.net/rv/RV-brakes.html
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyguy View Post
I have a 2000 Harney Coach, Has 4 new air bags as of last year. I have crawled all over this coach and I can not find the reason the air bags will not hold air for over 8-10 hours. Checked every line and fitting and no sign of air leak.

Maybe this is normal, but it used to hold air a lot longer up to 24 hours.

Am i looking for a problem that doesn't exist? I read another post on this subject awhile ago, but can't find it.

All ideas are welcome!

Thanks

How are you checking air lines? A spray bottle and kids bubbles do good on fitting.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:44 AM   #8

air Bags

Thanks you all for your thoughts and input.
I am using Bubbles in a spray bottle. Shows no leaks. I only have air to the bags, do not have air brakes. I have checked the height control valve's and no leaks. This is not a big problem now as I am not using the coach. I just like to keep it in a ready to go condition.
Will keep checking. I also checked the tank and seems good. There is no rust under my coach as it has always been in Texas and Georgia.
Thanks
Old 10-26-2021, 09:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyguy View Post
Thanks you all for your thoughts and input.
I am using Bubbles in a spray bottle. Shows no leaks. I only have air to the bags, do not have air brakes. I have checked the height control valve's and no leaks. This is not a big problem now as I am not using the coach. I just like to keep it in a ready to go condition.
Will keep checking. I also checked the tank and seems good. There is no rust under my coach as it has always been in Texas and Georgia.
Thanks
Perhaps the one-way valve after the air compressor is leaking. This cannot be detected with bubble spray.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:02 PM   #10

Owners posted leaks at air dryer body.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #11

My coach does not have an air dryer. Will check the one way valve if I can find it.
Thanks for all the input. Will post an update when I find the problem!
Busyguy

Tags
air, leak, suspension