Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #1

Air bags and brakes

I learned something yesterday that most of you probably already know but I want to share with the group just in case. I read once to make sure your wheels are straight before dumping the air from your air bags or your front tires may hit the fender. My tires actually do extend about 1 inch higher than the fenders when all the air is out. Yesterday I picked up the coach from the repair facility and drove it all the way home and once I got home I realized that I forgot to air up the bags before departing. So why didn't the tires hit the fender on the way home? I had someone slowly move the wheel while I watch the tires and because of the way the tire pivoted it cleared the fenders. I was amazed. So that was lesson one. The reason the coach was at the repair facility is because I had a concern with the airbag, it was making a very loud popping noise when inflating. The shop said it's not a problem and it happens occasionally, they inspected the airbag and found nothing wrong. I was worried that if the airbag did blow that I would not haveost or at least I would lose partial brakes. But wait a minute I just drove home with the air valve in the lower position so my point is if I had a whole or leaking air bag I could move the lever to the lower position and still have normal braking. That was lesson than two. I also realized that I could at least make it to a repair facility with no air in the bags. That was lesson than three.
FLavionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Be careful about driving very far with the air bags deflated. It puts the driveshaft out of alignment and can cause excessive wear on the U joints. Some coaches are set up such that once you put then in gear the air bags automatically inflate no matter what position the switch is in. As for the popping bag, that's pretty normal. The rubber gets folded over when the levelers are retracted and pops when the fold inflates. The more extended the air bags are from leveling the more likely they are to pop.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #3

You do not say what the year or type coach you have, I thought most rigs inflate air bag when starting motor, a alarm sounds on mine until required air pressure is reached to travel.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #4

It's a 2013 Fleetwood Expedition.
I get an alarm until pressure reaches 75psi but air bags can still be set for "lower". I can drive with no air in bags. The benefit here would be if one of the bags had a leak I could push the lever to lower and still have brakes and drive the vehicle to a repair shop
Old 06-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Most systems automatically inflate above a very slow speed regardless of what you have selected. Are you sure yours did not?
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Most systems automatically inflate above a very slow speed regardless of what you have selected. Are you sure yours did not?
No actuality I am not sure. If that was the case if a leak did accur would it effect the brakes? Or the ability of the compressor to maintain. I figured the valve would be a good way to isolate the system in the case of an air bag leak. But I am also surprised there is no warning that the bags are not inflated.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLavionics View Post
No actuality I am not sure. If that was the case if a leak did accur would it effect the brakes? Or the ability of the compressor to maintain. I figured the valve would be a good way to isolate the system in the case of an air bag leak. But I am also surprised there is no warning that the bags are not inflated.
there are normally two tanks, front and rear one for the bags and one for brakes.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLavionics View Post
There are 3 tanks in all air brake systems. A wet tank that recieves air from the compressor.

That tank supplies the primary and secondary tanks. Each tank handles either the front or rear brakes.

Your air suspension is probably hooked to the tank that handles the front brakes because they use less air to work.

There is also going to be a protection valve in the air suspension supply. That will cut off the air to the suspension if the pressure drops below 70 PSI, saving the rest for stopping.

If the leak is large enough that the compressor can't keep up ( not likely with suspension plumbing ), once the air drops below 60 psi, alarms start going off, and at 45 PSI the rear brakes come on, stopping you where you in your tracks.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, brake, brakes