Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2022, 08:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
The way the air system is designed, the factory designed so a slight leak is OK. If it will hold air for over 24 hours they do not consider it a problem. Now being air tight would be ideal, but the system is designed to provide more air than you will need without a major leak.

Chasing minor leaks is always a good idea, but some leaks will give you a fit trying to locate them.

My point is minor leaks are no to be feared as the air pump should be able overcome the leak. Hopefully this will be helpful.
Good advice thank you. As this coach sat for some years, I am taking it in just for an inspection and if they spot leaks etc then ok.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2022, 11:25 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My air goes down to about 30PSI over several days. Our coach has air leveling and has an auxiliary pump that keeps it level when the main supply is low!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
I know less than jack about air systems, would I go to Cat Diesel for something like that for the inspection and possible repairs ?
You better check your laws in your state. Most places require an airbrake endorsement on your license. Get in an accident without it and you could be in dodo..
Traveler2162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 01:19 PM   #18

really ..u must live on upper east coast. how many states u talking??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler2162 View Post
You better check your laws in your state. Most places require an airbrake endorsement on your license. Get in an accident without it and you could be in dodo..
Old 03-01-2022, 05:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
The brakes on one end of your coach should be getting air from the primary dry tank, the other end from the secondary dry tank.
Your suspension probably from the secondary tank.
If you rupture a or all air bags, you have pressure protection valves (PPV), that will only allow your tank to drain to about 65-70psi before they close. Only the brakes can use the remaining air pressure. Same for any other feature that uses air (horns, step covers, generator slide etc).
That explains a lot about how it acts . Thanks.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
really ..u must live on upper east coast. how many states u talking??
Texas requires a class B CDL to drive vehicles with a GCWR greater than 26,000, and part of the test includes the air system.
Old 03-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #21

. and only few states require class b. and its easy air questions. imho. not arguing just most states not even close require endorsment or even class b. by the way what questions do they ask??
Old 03-02-2022, 09:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM901 View Post
Texas requires a class B CDL to drive vehicles with a GCWR greater than 26,000, and part of the test includes the air system.
Are you sure it's a CDL ?

That's for commercial driving, not RVs.

Just checked no CDL required

Do I need a special license to drive an RV in Texas?

Texas operators of RVs for personal use, regardless of weight, are exempt from CDL requirements. For this reason, their special licenses are often called “Class A (or B) ... non-CDL” to distinguish them from both CDLs and the regular Class C driver license used for regular passenger automobiles.Aug 17, 2020
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:19 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've seen everyone call it that, and you have to take a subset of the CDL test, but it isn't technically a CDL license.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:22 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
. and only few states require class b. and its easy air questions. imho. not arguing just most states not even close require endorsment or even class b. by the way what questions do they ask??
They ask about the cabin precheck, physical inspection, general operation, and pre-trip check.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:21 PM   #25

I just got my “non cdl class b” in Texas in December. Written test on Chapter14 of cdl handbook, eye test, driving test that included backing and then driving for about 25 minutes. Checked lights, horn, insurance, tires and registration. No other inspection. Required for motorhome of GvW + 26,000 pounds. DPS in general are not familiar with the license category.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:28 PM   #26

Yes, the driver's license in Texas for a motorhome over 26,000 pounds is a CLASS B EXEMPT.

It is NOT a CDL.

But many of the questions on the written portion of the test are the same as for a CDL.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #27

Back to the air issue. The DOT says there is an 'acceptable" loss rate for the air system. I dont remember what it is .If it really bothers you do like the busses do add a 12V or 120v compressor to the system. You will hear it run occasionally but it will keep the air up.
scottv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 03:31 PM   #28

AIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv11 View Post
Back to the air issue. The DOT says there is an 'acceptable" loss rate for the air system. I dont remember what it is .If it really bothers you do like the busses do add a 12V or 120v compressor to the system. You will hear it run occasionally but it will keep the air up.
the air pressure drop rate is 2lb per minute or 4lb per combination vehicle.
smkymtnboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air