Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #1

Air brake course?

I am not a thread hijacker, so here goes.

"Air brake course so you know when to use the parking brake and when not to" That is a quote from another thread here, why would I need a course to tell me that when I stop, shift in natural I pull the yellow brake knob? Seems pretty basic but I must be missing something.

Along with my ignorance of this need, I wonder the need to "check brakes" at the top of a climb. How do I check them and what am I looking for?

I feel like an idiot it knowing this after 100 days and 10,000 miles.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When you take the course you will learn the daily air brake test, part of the daily "pre trip".
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I am not a thread hijacker, so here goes.

"Air brake course so you know when to use the parking brake and when not to" That is a quote from another thread here, why would I need a course to tell me that when I stop, shift in natural I pull the yellow brake knob? Seems pretty basic but I must be missing something.

Along with my ignorance of this need, I wonder the need to "check brakes" at the top of a climb. How do I check them and what am I looking for?

I feel like an idiot it knowing this after 100 days and 10,000 miles.
Understand your comments. However, there really is a lot more to learn about your air brakes. What if they are not operating correctly? What if the parking brake won't set? etc. Refer to RVSEF.com Understanding Your Motorhome Airbrakes DVD. There is a lot there to learn and most of it is necessary in order to pass a Non Commercial Class B license test in states that require it, like mine.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #4

Good to know the proceedures for testing the low air pressure emergency brake application, the proper pressure build up for both tanks, and tank draining.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
In the meantime, good info here on air brakes..http://www.mpi.mb.ca/PDFs/AirBrakeMa...alComplete.pdf

Air Brake System check should be done prior to each trip or if rig has set for awhile. (CDL requires daily)

AIR BRAKE SYSTEM CHECKS
http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index....d=173&Itemid=4
AIR GOVERNOR TEST
Start engine and build air up the air pressure until compressor governor cuts out. This will be evident when the
pressure gage needles stop rising. Depress the service brake treadle slowly and then release. Observe that for each depression Of the brake treadle that the service air pressure decreases by observing the gage. Continue depressing and releasing the brake treadle until the governor cuts in and the air pressure begins to increase. When this occurs, the air pressure in the tank as read on the gage should not be less than 85 psi. Let the air pressure build up until the governor cuts out as indicated by a steady air pressure. The air pressure in the tank should not exceed 130 psi.
STATIC BRAKE TEST The static brake test will verify that the vehicle air system that is normally charged as you travel is not leaking. If your coach is equipped with an automatic transmission ensure the coach is placed on a level location, or block a wheel to keep from rolling. Place the gear shift selector in neutral and turn the engine off. Observe the air pressure gage reading and release the parking brake. Do not touch the service brake treadle or any other component connected with the air system. The air pressure in the tanks should not decrease by more than 2 psi in one minute.

APPLIED BRAKE TEST The applied brake test will verify that the vehicle air system that is normally charged as the service brakes are applied is not leaking. Depress the service brake treadle and keep it fully depressed for the duration of this test. After the air pressure has stabilized, observe the pressure gage. The air loss should not exceed 3 psi in one (1) minute (tap gauge occasionally). Any movement of the service brake treadle will consume air pressure, causing the failure of this test.

LOW AIR WARNING DEVICE The low air warning device test will verify that the low air pressure alarm goes off as designed Turn the ignition on (key switch) but do not start the engine. Observe the air pressure gauge and pump the service brake treadle until you can see the low air pressure warning light come on and/or hear the warning buzzer. The low air pressure warning should come on at about 60 psi.

EMERGENCY BRAKE SYSTEM TEST The Emergency brake system test will verify that the vehicle emergency brake system functions as designed. Turn off the ignition and then reduce the air pressure by depressing and releasing the service brake treadle until the emergency (parking) brake handle pops up. By observing the pressure gage this should occur when the tank pressure falls below 45 psi.
Start the engine and immediately place the transmission in gear and try to move coach slowly against the emergency brake with low air pressure. At this pressure the emergency brakes should be applied by the large springs in the rear brake chambers. As soon as the engine is started the air pressure will start to build up but it will not be routed to the emergency brake chamber because the handle has popped out. Caution should be used so as not to apply too much pressure against the brakes and drive train.

EMERGENCY BRAKE TEST The emergency brake test will verify that the vehicle emergency brakes can be applied, as the vehicle is moving. When applying the emergency brakes on a moving coach, the vehicle speed should not exceed 5 to 7 mph. Allow the air pressure to build up until it cuts out. Put the coach in gear, release the parking brake and allow the coach to move forward slowly. Apply the emergency (parking) brake by pulling up on the button. Do not operate the service brake treadle. The vehicle should come to a complete and sudden stop.

CHECK SERVICE BRAKES (verify that the service brakes are adjusted so they do not cause a pull in either Direction.) Set coach in motion and apply the service brake firmly to see if the steering wheel pulls to the left or right.

Hope this helps.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote