Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2022, 05:01 PM   #1

Air Brake - Rear actuator control arms coated in oil/sludge

The vehicle is a 2002 National Tradewinds. I am doing general maintenance and have worked to inspecting the rear spring brake mechanism. The brake actuators themselves are relatively clean. However the arms are covered in a coat of oil/sludge. I have identified the connecting mechanism and a separate mechanism from the top. I believe this second mechanism is part of the slack adjuster.

The brake system is working properly. It does not cycle excessively and it holds pressure. At this point I do not believe the oil/sludge is associated with the air system.

Is there fluid / oil in the slack adjuster mechanism? Is it a reasonable trail to follow to look for the oil to be coming from the slack adjuster?
dansawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2022, 06:13 PM   #2

Slack adjusters have grease fitting that need to be serviced along with the S cam shafts tubes.
There is no oil, just chassis grease.

I have extensive experience with air brakes but I'm not following what your describing.

Maybe post some pictures or download a graphic of rear air brake assemblies so you can use the proper names for the parts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:51 PM   #3

This is not a great picture, however it shows the actuation arm and the mechanism that appears to be leaking. The photo was rotated during load.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220212_143646_50.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	356451  
Old 02-13-2022, 08:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansawyer View Post
This is not a great picture, however it shows the actuation arm and the mechanism that appears to be leaking. The photo was rotated during load.
You are right it is not a good picture. Try taking it from the side not the back end. In my 43 years of checking and adjusting brakes haven't seen that type of crud build up.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:53 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Make sure that what you're seeing is not grease /oil being thrown on there from the drive shaft, rear trans seal or rear end seal.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:52 PM   #6

To stop pictures from rotating during posting ; resize to 1000 pixels , or the site computer system does weird things with them .

Judging by the rust on your air system compressor ; in another post ; a previous owner my have coated the mechanism to prevent it seizing up .
Clean the mechanism and monitor for more build up, at your next service..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Oil on brake pot.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	356462  
Old 02-14-2022, 04:36 AM   #7

Here is a picture of what I think your posting.

The booted section is the self adjusters mechanism. If the clevis moves to far off 90° it strokes the rod to re-adjust the slack adjuster.

As mentioned, look for oil being thrown from somewhere else getting on the slack adjuster.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220214-062324_Chrome.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	356479
Old 02-14-2022, 10:51 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
The slack adjuster has a grease fitting as well as the S cam tube that runs from the slack adjuster to the wheel. Excess grease (or oil from the grease) can run down from there causing what see in your photo. I would grease all the fittings, wipe up any excess and continue to watch. Many semi’s have a adjusters that look like yours over time.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:00 AM   #9

I have taken better photos. There is nothing near by throwing grease/oil on the adjusters. Is there a lubrication connection from the axle to the adjusters? Or is the only lubrication from the grease zirk?
is there a grease zirk associated with the rotating arm used to apply the brake? If there is this could simply be a case of excessive grease.
I checked the front adjusters, they have a small coating that is directly attributable to grease.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220214_081822_50.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	356509   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220214_081943_50.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	356510  

Old 02-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #10

There is a fitting closer to the tire that may have been over greased but no harm if it came out the side near the slack adjusters.

Spray some grease cutter and then water on the parts to clean them up.

There is gear oil in the wheel hub lubrcating the bearings but if leaking will be in the drums and on the brake shoes.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #11

What's on the slack adjuster looks like normal buildup if it was never wiped down. The zerk should be wiped before greasing and any grease pushed out should be cleaned up.

I'd clean the grease up behind the slack adjuster and see if the zerk on the shaft for the S cam is taking grease. It could be it's hard to get on or frozen, but it looks like a lot of grease never made it where it's supposed to be and was never cleaned up.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, brake, rear