Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
After 35 years on the road one thing I do know is that no matter what you are driving if you are distracted for only a few seconds you can be veering off course.
Pulling that yellow knob is equivalent to a 60psi brake application. That my friends is a panic brake application. Anyone not seated and strapped in will be going for a fast trip to the front.

The sad reality is that if the driver passes out behind the wheel,by time the passenger realizes what is happening you could be going into oncoming traffic or the ditch.
If you are prone to passing out at the wheel you shouldn't be driving anything.
This thread makes two good points. People should have air brake endorsements and maybe drivers medicals.
Exaclty my argument when it comes to piloting these things down the road and so many people with a "Lack" of knowledge.
I personally have my 1A license up here and required to go for a medical every three years. If fail the medical you go back down to a class 5 or if worse lose license all together.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #72
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Exaclty my argument when it comes to piloting these things down the road and so many people with a "Lack" of knowledge.
I personally have my 1A license up here and required to go for a medical every three years. If fail the medical you go back down to a class 5 or if worse lose license all together.
I'm glad to see Scratchachicken has finally instituted a 3 year medical test. Most people in that province are over a 100 years old now aren't they? LOL (just kidding)
I'm coming to Regina for a few days to visit my Mom. I'll wave atcha as I fly over to land.

I believe that after a certain age, mandatory testing should be in place. Visual and physical competency should be verified to be able to handle a 40,000 lb rig. This comment might raise a few eyebrows, but it's just my opinion.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
I'm glad to see Scratchachicken has finally instituted a 3 year medical test. Most people in that province are over a 100 years old now aren't they? LOL (just kidding)
I'm coming to Regina for a few days to visit my Mom. I'll wave atcha as I fly over to land.

I believe that after a certain age, mandatory testing should be in place. Visual and physical competency should be verified to be able to handle a 40,000 lb rig. This comment might raise a few eyebrows, but it's just my opinion.
Actually any age group should require testing to prove competent to be operating such a rig. The way some people think the air brake system works is really scary and shocking. Sure hate to meet one of those guys down the road when they have an issue. When I was shopping for a long time to buy a coach I sure seen a lot of badly bruised units. Scrapes down the side, collisions on front and rear corners. This has nothing to do with knowing the air brake system........They just plain can't handle something larger than an Aries K-Car.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #74
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILERKING View Post
Actually any age group should require testing to prove competent to be operating such a rig. The way some people think the air brake system works is really scary and shocking. Sure hate to meet one of those guys down the road when they have an issue. When I was shopping for a long time to buy a coach I sure seen a lot of badly bruised units. Scrapes down the side, collisions on front and rear corners. This has nothing to do with knowing the air brake system........They just plain can't handle something larger than an Aries K-Car.
Amen to that!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Before you can step into a commercial truck you have to have a cdl and the proper training and licence before you are turned loose with it. That doesn't make you a good driver as you can plainly see every day. The point is you should know and have to display some sort of competence in the driving test.
I am not saying that everyone should have a cdl, but I do say they should at least have an air brake course.
If people have never driven a big class A or pulled a big trailer they should have some instruction rather than just learning as they go. It would probably be cheaper for them in the long run. I personally have helped a few different people in situations and was shocked at how little they knew. To me that is dangerous.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #76

Monaco Owners Club
As a side note to the OP. I am not trying to scare you but rather give you some good advice. Knowing how an air system works and the maintenance they need can help in recognizing a problem before it becomes dangerous. I hope you enjoy your new rig, and have many safe travels.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The North Carolina test requires an understanding of air brakes for anyone operating a rig exceeding 26,000 lbs. They are different to hydraulic brakes and it's not just a case of pressing the pedal and hoping. When I'm on the road, every morning I check the functions and warning systems. I chock the wheels, do a pressure drop and leak check, then feather the system to get a low pressure warning, followed by releasing the parking brake and more feathering until the brake automatically re-applies. I then time how long it takes to build up pressure again.

There is some excellent training material available on-line. There's even a good you-tube showing the daily air brake checks required for school buses.
NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
I would suggest that you go to your state Motor Vehicle Office and obtain the drivers manual for a CDL B license with Air brake endorsement. There is all the driving techniques, Air brake tests before driving each time and safety information for highway driving.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE
Good advice,, I have a NC class B w airbrake endorcement,been driving trucks for many years and held the old class A for years, never had a test for airbrakes then, I did not pass the test the first time,did it change the way I press the pedal,no, but it opened my eyes to several other things. NC does have a study manual. Good luck.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #79
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
This is a copy of a Pre-trip inspection I had to do for my Airbrake endorsement test. Keeping in mind that this is put on by a Tractor/Trailer Training Center. It still a good Pre Check.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2205442891.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	46732
Old 09-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Having the knowledge of how your system works is the biggest point to be made here. Doing a periodic pre trip is probably suffice for RV's. Doing a full application for 6 or however many times will adjust your slacks sufficiently most of the time. What most people don't realize is that after awhile you may have one or more slack adjuster that won't adjust all the way. This means they should be manually checked every so many miles such as every service/oil change. You can learn how to do this yourself but due to constrictions of getting under these rigs they should be over a pit to be safe. They are not hard to adjust and if you know how there is nothing wrong in doing it for yourself. Most experts will tell you they should be done by a mechanic. Most of the big trucking companies that I know of won't allow their drivers to adjust brakes anymore. They have a schedule of maintenance which includes brake adjustment. For those that can't get under and do the maintenance they should have the knowledge of how their system works and be able to ask their service provider the pertinent questions and most importantly not get ripped off by lack of knowledge.

Tags
air brakes, brake, brakes