Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Air compressor size and basement "must haves"

My wife and I made our second trip in two weeks in our new motor home this weekend...as she said, this was a working trip. We basically moved everything over from our old travel trailer into our new Tiffin and started making a list of what we needed now. I also added a 50 to 30 amp adapter this weekend as the park we were in only had 30 amp hookups, so that box is checked. I also realized I need an "extension cord" as I had to re-park to get close enough to the power outlet.

I have been reading a lot about what people carry, and I am pretty sure I want to add an air compressor, but what size would you recommend? I want to use obviously for tires, but would also like to use for inflatables during the summer.

So I have an extension cord and an air compressor on my wish list? What else would you consider a "must have" for my new basement? We already have all the chairs, tables, lights, flag poles, bbq, mats, outdoor related items...5 years of camping at NASCAR in our Outback prepared us pretty well!
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TXRVMAN, I have a Portercable,6gal pancake model, 150 psi. You need a compressor that will go up to 150psi., in order to air up size 22.5 tires.

Right now Home depot in southern CA., has it on sale from $ 179.00 to $ 159.00 it also comes with a brad nailer gun.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
TXRVMAN, I have a Portercable,6gal pancake model, 150 psi. You need a compressor that will go up to 150psi., in order to air up size 22.5 tires.
Bang on, I have exactly the same machine and people look at me funny when I pull it out, but nothing else will push that much air at that pressure, and I have had more than a few borrow it!

I check my pressure every morning when traveling, and have pulled it out a few times on a trip, and lots of times before heading out after staying for a week or more.

I also carry 100ft of 12 gauge extension (2 50ft sections), a pretty fair collection of tools, cable ties, silicon tape, lubricants, anti freeze (diesel and boiler) and exterior cleaning supplies. There are other good threads on what else, but no substitute for the compressor.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Other must haves if you haven't gotten them yet is a electrical surge protector, a water pressure regulator, a water filter large enough to filter all the water coming into the coach from the campground source and dually valve stems.

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/catego...lly-valve-kits

Congratulations on the new Tiffin. If you haven't checked out the Tiffin RV Network you should.

TiffinRVNetwork

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Other must haves if you haven't gotten them yet is a electrical surge protector, a water pressure regulator, a water filter large enough to filter all the water coming into the coach from the campground source and dually valve stems.

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/catego...lly-valve-kits

Congratulations on the new Tiffin. If you haven't checked out the Tiffin RV Network you should.

TiffinRVNetwork

Jon
I've been pursuing TRVN for a while now, like irv2, its a great source of info for a newbie like me! I was lucky enough to have had a surge protector installed by the previous owner, and have a water pressure regulator. I made a mistake and missed the fact that one of the rear tire sets is missing its valve extenders...that's on my list too.

Now doesn't the water purifier in the wet bay filter all water (either city or from tank) coming into the coach?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post

Right now Home depot in southern CA., has it on sale from $ 179.00 to $ 159.00 it also comes with a brad nailer gun.
That's what I was thinking....thanks!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Go to Sears, great compressor only $99 unless you get it on sale. Just search on here for compressors. I think everyone here has one!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #8

We like the Sears portable compressor. I also think it is well worth the small investment in "quick" connectors for the hose & an "in-line" digital gauge & reversible chuck.

We also find the following things to be useful

- sewer hose extension + 5' "clear" plastic bayonet ext.
- power source "tester"
- wheel chocks & leveler blocks
- battery tester
- awning tie-downs & deflappers
- cyclone sewer vent
- folding entry step
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #9

On the extention cord, you would be doing yourself a favor by getting one of the big 10/3 "Yellow Jacket" cords. It is heavy made with the #10 wire, so it will flow more electric power with out heating up. Its not good to try & run a motor on to little power, cause over time it will burn it up from low voltage.

As Jack mentioned, by all means, buy an electrical multi meter & put in the coach to check the electrical, cause you never know when a plug in has been wired wrong & you end up burning something out.
Converter boxes & switch boxes aint cheap.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I'll preface this with...I'm not a Sears fan, but... Here's the http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1.5-gallon-portable-air-compressor-with-hose-and/p-00915309000Psome have mentioned. I bought one because so many here on iRV2 recommended it and I was getting tired of lugging around my heavy pancake. The Sears compressor is less than half the weight and it will achieve it's rated 150 psi. I did however, get rid of the weenie hose it comes with it and attached a quality 50' 3/8" ID hose with quick disconnect fittings. I can service all RV tires (22.5s)and the Jeep from one location. I love this little thing. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
I'll preface this with...I'm not a Sears fan, but... Here's the http://www.sears.com/craftsman-1.5-gallon-portable-air-compressor-with-hose-and/p-00915309000Psome have mentioned. I bought one because so many here on iRV2 recommended it and I was getting tired of lugging around my heavy pancake. The Sears compressor is less than half the weight and it will achieve it's rated 150 psi. I did however, get rid of the weenie hose it comes with it and attached a quality 50' 3/8" ID hose with quick disconnect fittings. I can service all RV tires (22.5s)and the Jeep from one location. I love this little thing. Bob

I went this route also for our MH. If you get this unit, it is recommended that you unscrew the water draincock on the tank bottom and let the unit run for 15-20 minutes non-stop. Can't remember the reason at the moment but just do it. Oh yea, also get rid of the weenie hose and get a manly man one preferably 50 ft to have access to all the tires on your mh if you use the gennie and plug into the coaches exterior plug.

This link explains the break in procedure.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/port...tor-83929.html
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I went this route also for our MH. If you get this unit, it is recommended that you unscrew the water draincock on the tank bottom and let the unit run for 15-20 minutes non-stop. Can't remember the reason at the moment but just do it. Oh yea, also get rid of the weenie hose and get a manly man one preferably 50 ft to have access to all the tires on your mh if you use the gennie and plug into the coaches exterior plug.

This link explains the break in procedure.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/port...tor-83929.html
Thanks JC2, I had forgotten about that. Mine didn't come with the directions about the break in procedure...I did do it though because of reading it here on iRV2. Mine is still chugg'n along. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trim Plus 3-Gallon Electric Air Compressor-H1503TP at The Home Depot

Delivers 2.5 SCFM at 90 psi.

Pay attention to that, otherwise it takes you several minutes waiting for the tires to inflate. I learned that the hard way. After trying out 3 air compressors and finally figuring out why air wouldn't go into the tires with 125 and 150 lb compressors, this "delivery" spec is key.

The above link is the one I bought, works fantastic!! Fits easily in the basement corner. Print it out and take it to the nearest Home Depot and they will give you the 99.00 price, its 129.00 in the store.

BTW, I would have bought that Sears 1.5 gallon one mentioned above, but I had to have something that day and my local Sears store didn't have any in stock, so I bought the Husky, so far, so good!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have a comment on carrying an air compressor, its just mine so i wont be hurt if yall dis-agree

my tires typically run 100psi based on loaded weight and real scales visit
actually i could run 95 in each read dual and be safe, but its easier for me to just run em all at 100 psi. since my air system onboard will pull 120 psi, i no longer have a need for an additional item.
so i took out my portable air compressor and it now sits in the shed.

yes if one goes flat or way below 70 pis it takes a bit longer to get em back up, by cycling the engine compressor, but probably just as long as it would take the pancake one to do the same.

but now for the last three years...my tires have never been below 95....ever, even after sitting at home for three months

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Camco-...-p/55-7320.htm

30 amp or 50 amp extension cord is money well spent, i just saw one of our sponsors having one 50 amp 30 ft for 116 it doesnt say what gauge wire., I have slept since then
toady i just picked up a green works electric pressure washer 1700 psi for those quick wash and rinses jobs on the road. weighs right at 40 ish pounds
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor