Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #15

ditto on the craftsman
98winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #16

Bruce, the reason some of us carry portable compressors even though we have air tanks is that in order to fill the tires to anything over the pressure in the coach air tank (usually around the 90 psi range or below when standing) is that you'll need to start the coach engine and time the compressor cycle so it's in that peak psi range of 140 psi +/- or so depending on system configuration.

What you are doing is tapping directly into the air tank of the coach ...that's where you are seeing as the air connection under the coach that you described. The compressor will start when the air in the tank reaches a level where the compressor automatically kicks in.

If you wait until the coach's compressor cycles to the maximum and then cuts off, then the pressure in the tank slowly drops to 100-110 psi or so and even lower once you start to use the pressure. Once that happens, you can't top off your tires to anything over what the pressure is available in your coach tank.

The trick is to top off or fill your tires as the coach's compressor reaches the top of its cycle when the psi is up in that 140 +/- psi range. If you wait until the compressor cuts off, the tank pressure slowly loses the pressure and may come down to the 100 psi level or less until the next cycle starts. Obviously, you can't fill or top off your tires at any higher pressure than what is available in the tank.

You can force the compressor to cycle by installing a valve on your air chuck to let air out of the tank which will force the compressor to cycle or run into the coach and fan the brakes (tedious). But as you can see, it's generally or can be a tedious exercise all around ...or so it is for me (that's why I use a portable inflator along with other reasons).

So yes, it's possible to use the coach air tank and compressor to top off your tires but for a lot of us, it's just simpler to use a portable compressor. And by doing so, you don't have to start the engine and waste fuel and bother those around you ...although portable compressors are noisy too so the noise issue is probably a wash.

You can install a multiplier or booster regulator so you don't have to bother timing the compressor cycles but that's a story for another time.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Google filling TV tires using engine compressor...
There are videos out there showing how to do it but for >100 psi you will likely have to get the compressor to cycle back up to max setting around 120 psi. If the air tank is above min setting (90 psi?) You won't get flow to a 90 psi tire. Two people can do it by pumping brakes to cycle the compressor.
Not my first choice...

Coach air, doubler, 50 ft hose reel. Simple!
Old 04-02-2019, 09:06 PM   #18

Just what Tropical36 and Winemaker2 said . I have a quick disconnect in front by the generator and one in the rear next to manual tank drain valves.
Rob Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #19

Have you had your coach weighed to verify that you need 115 psi? The reason I ask is that my Porter Cable compressor struggled to get to 115, but after the Escapees Smart Weigh program I found that I only need 95psi, which the compressor handles just fine.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmstead View Post
Coach air, doubler, 50 ft hose reel. Simple!
Obviously there are many ways to skin this cat...
Not trying to convince what they have is wrong or not the "best". It's always their "best" choice.
I only present options to those that ask and I try to explain why I like MY choice.
Everyone gets to make their own choices.
I'm wondering hom much a hosereel, 50 ft hose and doubler costs?
I like the option of being able to use my $99 compressor elsewhere if I need or want to.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Obviously there are many ways to skin this cat...
Not trying to convince what they have is wrong or not the "best". It's always their "best" choice.
I only present options to those that ask and I try to explain why I like MY choice.
Everyone gets to make their own choices.
I'm wondering hom much a hosereel, 50 ft hose and doubler costs?
I like the option of being able to use my $99 compressor elsewhere if I need or want to.

Reel with hose is about $70. Look up SMC Pneumatics for doubler, then look on Amazon to see if it’s cheaper. Doubler is smaller than your coaches fire extinguisher. Mount reel and doubler in a bay. The reel is probably smaller than your compressor. This setup adds air quick and easy.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:14 PM   #22

Compressors

Quote:
Reel with hose is about $70. Look up SMC Pneumatics for doubler, then look on Amazon to see if it’s cheaper. Doubler is smaller than your coaches fire extinguisher. Mount reel and doubler in a bay. The reel is probably smaller than your compressor. This setup adds air quick and easy.
Thanks Jim. This looks like an interesting option. Could you explain a little about "doubler"? Is it a pressure doubler, or more specifically, what is it? I searched for doubler on SMC Pneumatics without any success.
Thx.
Bruce
WeGoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:26 PM   #23

Bruce, smcpneumatics.com
Look under “pressure boosters”. Think of it like a turbo. Coach air is input and your air hose gets the output. It’s adjustable so you don’t have to use full power if you don’t need it. I started looking at air compressors when we got our first diesel pusher and heard all the stories about it taking 2 people to use the coach air to fill tires. 1 to do the actual work and someone to pump the brakes to keep the compressor from shutting off. Was ready to buy a Viar when I stumbled across an article in an old FMCA magazine. The article made me a believer. Read the Viar specs again and this “doubler” was much quicker. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Bruce, smcpneumatics.com
Look under “pressure boosters”. Think of it like a turbo. Coach air is input and your air hose gets the output. It’s adjustable so you don’t have to use full power if you don’t need it. I started looking at air compressors when we got our first diesel pusher and heard all the stories about it taking 2 people to use the coach air to fill tires. 1 to do the actual work and someone to pump the brakes to keep the compressor from shutting off. Was ready to buy a Viar when I stumbled across an article in an old FMCA magazine. The article made me a believer. Read the Viar specs again and this “doubler” was much quicker. Hope this helps.
Found it. Thanks.
WeGoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In our 5th wheeler I carry a CO2 system. I can dial in up to 150PSI and inflate the tires to 110 in a couple of minutes. Very quite and it can be used run other air devices as well. Use a 3/8 hose with this system.

In our MH I carry a Viair 450 also used to inflate to 110PSI. I've added a couple of 20 amp 12 volt outlets on the outside to attach the Viair to when needed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #26

Viair

Quote:
Originally Posted by learntorv View Post
Second vote for Viair. My old trailer’s tires were 125 psi and the 450P happily pushed air into them. I never felt like it took long, even when I found one tire at 80psi due to a nail.
I third �� on the Viar, Hefty,compact and will do the job!
Arkansas RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:12 AM   #27

VIAIR 400p RV excellent compressor with everything you need to check and maintain your tires.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTraveler View Post
VIAIR 400p RV excellent compressor with everything you need to check and maintain your tires.
It is a good compressor, some people go a little further, and hard wire and pipe it into coach wet tank with a desiccant filter with a switch inside coach. That way you can use any of your regular coach air connections to air up your tires. Added benefit is you can air up coach before leaving without running main engine.

Tags
air, compressor