Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 04:07 PM   #43

I use the engine air compressor but it takes awhile to get tires up to 110-115 psi. Our Tour has a valve in the front with gauge that I connect my hose to. I tried a stand-alone compressor with tank but it was no faster than the engine compressor.
JBradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
viair

i had the same dilemma a couple years ago, tried a couple cheaper compressors and got caught out on the road needed air and told my wife i'm getting the viar and don't worry about air for my tires anymore
tmelsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mitch View Post
Does your coach have air brakes? All you should need is an air hose, quick disconnect and air chuck. That's all i need on my Monaco.
I'm curious what pressure you can get out of your coach air supply? mine only develops around 105psi to 110psi. My front tires require 130psi per CC and the tire manufacture, 120psi on the rear.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #46

We use the Craftsman version of the Porter Cable one shown in an earlier post. 1 gallon tank, 150psi max, very quick refill. Have used with some air tools as well.

Small enough to carry around to each tire with 25' electrical cord on a reel, I can reach all the tires. Takes about 3 minutes per tire to go from 95 to 105. But I have found my RV and tires seem to be happy at the 100psi point.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #47

Do you have air brakes
joerobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #48

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I didn't want to have to carry an air compressor so if your coach has air, you can install an air doubler, like a SMC Booster Regulator VBA20A-03GN, and use your coach compressor to inflate your tires and not have to bleed off air to get the compressor to kick on again. This model will double the air pressure up to 200 psi. My front tires are inflated to 125 psi and without the doubler, it took forever having to stop and bleed air to get the compressor to kick on again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180616_122008.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	241593   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180616_121959.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	241594  

rlwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #49

I've got a california air, ordered through home depot. 28 lbs, all aluminum, quieter than you would ever believe. https://m.lowes.com/pd/california-ai...382bbae30ed73a
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGoFar View Post
Hi All,
Thanks in advance for sharing your wealth of knowledge.
I am looking for an air compressor that will inflate the tires on my 2007 Country Coach. As most of you know, they are not small tires. 295 R80 22.5. I inflate to 115 PSI.
I have a compressor that takes 10-15 minutes to put 4-5 pounds topping off my Jeep to 38 PSI. I had a coach tire that measured 90 PSI. I tried to top it off. I am 68 and in good health, but was not going to live long enough to see that task completed. That compressor is rated to 150 PSI. I do not know the CFM rating.
Who has a compressor that will handle their coach tires in a reasonable amount of time and can lift it and stow it in the basement? What brand do you recommend and can anyone enlighten me on understanding compressor specs?
Bruce
As several of the previous posters stated the Viair compressor is one of the best compact compressors available and used by many off road racing teams. They make several different models so my suggestion would be to buy the heaviest duty model they make that will develop 150psi or more if you can afford it. You could shoot them an email or call them to explain your needs and I am sure the will guide you to the best model for your needs. The advantage to their systems are they are pretty light weight and compact. The disadvantage is they are expensive. Your other option is to locate a quality compact AC portable compressor that you can run off your generator that is capable of putting out 175psi and has sufficient CFM to air your tires in a reasonable time frame. Obviously what ever you get will have to fit in your RV if you want to have it with you while traveling. I always air my tires up at home before heading out on a trip and have not had the need to add air to them when traveling, the longest we are away is about 8 weeks and when returning home we are still at the same PSI as when we left. I do a walk around at ever stop and take a close check on them during our trip and so for we have had the fortune of only having to having to add air to them one time and that is when I had a valve stem in one of my rear tires fail. As an FYI I found that even at 150psi it was tough to get my rear tires aired up to 120PSI and my front tires aired up to the required 130psi. I since turned the pressure up on my home compressor to 175psi and it has made a significant difference in the time it takes to air up my tires before heading out on a trip. My home compressor is an 80 gallon upright commercial grade compressor. I am sure I will catch some flack regarding my suggestions but for what it is worth I do own a fleet of about 35 large and small trucks and have found what works for me and what doesn't. n the end of the day you have to decide what your time is worth and what you are willing to spend to save some of it.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:46 PM   #51

I use a roofers pancake compressor with a oil lubricated pump. Fills tires with ease and will run my large impact wrench for when I have to do an emergency tire service. Plenty of power to handle any task and despite being a disabled senior citizen who walks with a cane I can carry it with one hand.

Too many times road side service trucks show up without the proper tools to deal with our needs so I carry what is needed to overcome that.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My solution - not all that elegant or elaborate. Just a cheap nail gun compressor spec’d more for the size of the compartment it sits in than psi or cfm. But it works. Ran an outlet to that compartment, runs off the inverter, and its always ready when needed. Uses up some space but this is on an old class C and I still managed to find space for it. When I move it to my class A I might install a hose reel since I have more space. I bought it at home depot. Says 135 psi and it might make that but I dont need that much. If you bought a better one you could probably adjust the cut off and get a little more out of it, but this would probably maintain 120 psi tires. I also used it to build a barn since I didnt have power there, but I digress......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D01A256F-1FA9-4DF6-808E-35B3F1979F04.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	241597   Click image for larger version

Name:	0D5C0551-59BC-44CC-8EF5-157788B53C3C.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	241598  

R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club

Monaco Owners Club
Registry
I recommend this Milwaukee M12 air compressor. I had one in my workshop and was rather impressed with how it handled topping up my full size rv truck tires. It’s set and forget , it will stop at the pressure you select. Don’t let the small size fool you, very handy item to have on board. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...5-20/304768834
____
Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGoFar View Post
Hi All,
Thanks in advance for sharing your wealth of knowledge.
I am looking for an air compressor that will inflate the tires on my 2007 Country Coach. As most of you know, they are not small tires. 295 R80 22.5. I inflate to 115 PSI.
I have a compressor that takes 10-15 minutes to put 4-5 pounds topping off my Jeep to 38 PSI. I had a coach tire that measured 90 PSI. I tried to top it off. I am 68 and in good health, but was not going to live long enough to see that task completed. That compressor is rated to 150 PSI. I do not know the CFM rating.
Who has a compressor that will handle their coach tires in a reasonable amount of time and can lift it and stow it in the basement? What brand do you recommend and can anyone enlighten me on understanding compressor specs?
Bruce
Rigid Tool just came out with a 1 gallon air compressor that runs off of their 18v batteries. I already had the batteries (lifetime warranty) for my other tools. Works great. Do a search on the Home Depot website. I paid $179 (regularly $199).
Old 04-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #55

I use a P-C 3 gallon pancake compressor rated at 150psi. Very inexpensive on eBay. Meets all my needs inflating 315/80-R22.5 to 125psi. We use the RV year round and during the winter, 0F, requires pressurization to meet cold pressure requirement. A clip on air chuck and regulator set to 125psi and I am done. On the road I use the engine compressor. RV has an air chuck on each side and I carry a 25' air hose.
augerdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #56

Viair 400P

Few years back I bought a Viair which provided air/storage for an air horn I installed on my truck, a year later I purchased the Viair 400P compressor, this is a 12 volt oil less compressor I use for my 5th wheel, truck and UTV. I am pleased with this unit, it’s small, compact and 12 volt system. Max press - 150 psi., 2.30 CFM., 33% duty cycle.
It goes along when I’m off-roading with a RZR side by side cause it’s 12volt, rather compact and works great. As others have said, they are a bit pricey but well worth it.
A friend uses the pancake compressor and goes thru 1 approximately every yr and a half, those things sound like a screaming banshee and it takes 10 years for him to get tires up to pressure. I believe you get what you pay for.
Frost31720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor