Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 08:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvi View Post
Sorry to thread jack...Is there a reason one couldn't just plug a hose into the coach's air system?

My coach air system runs about 125psi and my front tires are only 115 and rears 95. Seems like it should work? But there must be a reason no one recommended it.

-E
From
My understanding, it comes down to that key metric already mentioned, throughout, commonly measured as SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute). In short, yes your coach’s built in air system can probably be used to fill your tires, but it’s going to take a while.

There are some that mod their built in compressors with air chargers to ramp up the throughput so that they don’t have to carry a compressor. Bit much imo.
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Porter Cable is what I use. It's not a pancake, but it only weighs 20lbs and adds air very quickly.

X2 great compressor
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Easy. Depart somewhere in the NE at 20 degrees ambient with 93#. Travel south to Florida in the winter. Morning temperature 75 degrees ambient, 104#. Maybe within tolerance but I don't like cold pressures that high.
That is a personal preference, absolutely not necessary.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Sorry to thread jack...Is there a reason one couldn't just plug a hose into the coach's air system?
-E
When one doesn't have a coach air system. I am but a lowly Bay Star. I don't have all those fancy things.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:54 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
That is a personal preference, absolutely not necessary.
So cold pressures are a personal preference? I don't think so.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:09 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
From
My understanding, it comes down to that key metric already mentioned, throughout, commonly measured as SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute). In short, yes your coach’s built in air system can probably be used to fill your tires, but it’s going to take a while.

There are some that mod their built in compressors with air chargers to ramp up the throughput so that they don’t have to carry a compressor. Bit much imo.

Onboard air with an SMC air doubler works great. Doubler is smaller than the standard coach fire extinguisher.
Couple that with an air hose reel and you can handle coach and toad quickly.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
Gotta admit, that one looks nice! I went with a Bostitch BTFP02012. Probably a little overkill. 150psi max, 2.6SCFM, and a 6 gallon tank. It'll come in tomorrow, so this weekend I'll go out to the coach, pull the anti-theft caps off my sensors, air everything up, and put the sensors back on.
Since you decided to go with a tank compressor, it will create condensation inside the tank and you don't want to be putting "wet air" inside your tires. Installing a normal compressor air dryer system in your coach will just take up more additional space. So at least buy a portable air dryer and attach it to the end of your inflating device and hose before you fill your tires.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Guard-D...gateway&sr=8-7

Personally, we went with the 12v VIAIR 450 RV compressor also, to eliminate that problem and has a smaller foot print but did cost more.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmstead View Post
Onboard air with an SMC air doubler works great. Doubler is smaller than the standard coach fire extinguisher.
Couple that with an air hose reel and you can handle coach and toad quickly.
That’s correct, Air doubler - not air charger. I only meant it’s a bit much in the sense that it’s a bit of work when you could just carry a smallish air compressor. No doubt that it works great. Certainly an option if you’re willing to do the work or pay for it to be done.
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
That’s correct, Air doubler - not air charger. I only meant it’s a bit much in the sense that it’s a bit of work when you could just carry a smallish air compressor. No doubt that it works great. Certainly an option if you’re willing to do the work or pay for it to be done.

There is no extra work. In my case, short hose from doubler to coach fitting and another hose from doubler to reel.
Reel hose reaches all coach tires and our toad. In our case all I do is quick connect short hose to coach, start coach and put air in tires - quickly!
Old 08-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #38

We opted for the Viair 450 RV setup. More expensive, but very reliable and will work on about anything you will ever need to out air into - plus the 60 foot hose availability makes it easy to get around the motorhome. We also use the non flow thru TST TPMS system and it is a simple process to remove them to air up the tires. Very happy with both setups.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:14 PM   #39
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
My coach air system runs about 125psi and my front tires are only 115 and rears 95. Seems like it should work? But there must be a reason no one recommended it.
Yes, you can do that but your coach air is constantly cycling up and down and will drop to about 90-100psi before the compressor kicks back in. In that case you are bleeding air out of the tires instead of putting air in. Some have added a bleed off valve in the air line to force the engine compressor to cycle more. Personally, I don't like to have the 380hp engine idling just to air up a tire when I can do it in a minute with a 150psi compressor.

Just my $0.03 (inflation) worth, other opinions will obviously vary.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:27 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If you remove the "anti theft" shells on the sensors they are as easy to put on and and take off as regular valve stem caps.
Ok LT, how does one do that?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #41

Got this one from lowes was additional 20.00 off on father's day. Inflated 275/80 R 22.5 tires 90-95 psi (+5) in about 1 minute per tire.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-2-Ga...sor/1000226861

Old 08-21-2019, 01:00 PM   #42
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Ok LT, how does one do that?
I can only speak to the TST sensors, but there are three tiny screws on the underside of the outer shell. Remove the screws and you can take the shell off. It's nothing more than an outer casing that turns freely so that you have to use the tool to remove the sensor. The inside sensor looks exactly like the outer casing, just a bit smaller. With the outer casing off, you can turn the sensor just like a regular valve stem cap plus it's a little lighter. I've never had anyone tamper with the sensors even with the anti theft shell off.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor, tpms