Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I can only speak to the TST sensors, but there are three tiny screws on the underside of the outer shell. Remove the screws and you can take the shell off. It's nothing more than an outer casing that turns freely so that you have to use the tool to remove the sensor. The inside sensor looks exactly like the outer casing, just a bit smaller. With the outer casing off, you can turn the sensor just like a regular valve stem cap plus it's a little lighter. I've never had anyone tamper with the sensors even with the anti theft shell off.
MONEY! Thanks. Getting the tool and the sensor between the dualies is a pia, this will be a lot easier.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 03:59 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I cannot think of a situation where you would need to reduce tire air pressure.
Go from sea level to 6,000 feet above sea level....
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteSquid View Post
Go from sea level to 6,000 feet above sea level....
Again, that is a personal preference, not a requirement. Do you thing tour bus's do that?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #46

Quote:
Again, that is a personal preference, not a requirement. Do you thing tour bus's do that?
For maximum tire wear and safety they should, but regrettably the drivers probably don't....
Old 08-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #47

Quote:

I just did more research and it is only a 3 PSIG difference between sea-level and 6,000 feet above sea-level, so you probably don’t have to adjust for altitude.

I read the article HERE
Old 08-23-2019, 07:49 AM   #48

Altitude affects engine performance more than tire air pressure. Temperature affects tire pressure more.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #49

Got the 6 gal pancake from Lowes (Craftsman brand) $99. Same as the other 6 gallon except “assembled” in US. Works great, 150psi
Old 08-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #50

I removed the anti-theft caps this morning. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!! The Bostitch pump worked great. Plugged my extension cord into an outlet in the "entertainment" bay and aired up the tires in no time (they were all between 90-95 psi).

My next question is tire pressure. What's a good place to start? I haven't weighed the coach yet (heck, it hasn't even been loaded up yet) so I'm not sure what I should have in the tires. I went with 105 psi based on the what the tires had listed for max loads "at 110 psi cold".

Suggestions?
Old 08-24-2019, 03:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
My next question is tire pressure. What's a good place to start? I haven't weighed the coach yet (heck, it hasn't even been loaded up yet) so I'm not sure what I should have in the tires. I went with 105 psi based on the what the tires had listed for max loads "at 110 psi cold".

Suggestions?
Start with the MH recommended cold PSI (entry door jamb sticker) load the coach full gear, fuel, LP and fresh water(if you usually travel with fresh water) and head for the scales.

This article lays it out nicely:

How to: Weigh a Motorhome | MotorHome Magazine
Old 08-25-2019, 07:53 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
My next question is tire pressure. What's a good place to start?
Start here. Everything you could possibly learn about tires.
RV Tire Safety

My guess is though, after you get your rig all loaded up, weigh it, then check the tire manufacturer tire charts, you won't need to be anywhere close to 110lbs. I'll bet you'll end up somewhere around 85-90lbs. all the way around.

Over inflation is just as bad as under inflation. You need to find what your true inflation should be.

Also that article that was linked above (it's very good BTW). Between these two links, you have all what you need to get your correct pressure.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
My TPMS will cycle through all the tires showing temp and pressure. Check your manual. Maybe no need to remove caps. Do this after a few minutes of driving to get current numbers.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our MH tires take 90-95 psi. Gas station air generally only goes to 80 psi. That's why we carry a 120v compressor.
rbschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:18 PM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Porter Cable is what I use. It's not a pancake, but it only weighs 20lbs and adds air very quickly.
X2 easy to store . Had tire go down while leaving a
Campground so glad we have TPS . TPS censor leaked my fault didn’t lock it down . Fixed my mistake aired up an all good. Would have been big problem without an air compressor

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #56

agree I have one also

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldPE View Post
I like our 12v VIAIR 450 RV compressor. Handles the large tires and high pressures well while being compact.
Agree and you can get a handy kit to make winterization easier.
nnason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, compressor, tpms