Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #43

Keeping the sun off the windows is critical. We have Magna shades front and sides.

I didnít mess up the vent changes yesterday and again 106 and the coach was cool all day.

We hit the road today. And will be traveling with the house air on using the genny
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2021, 04:25 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
I notice that several posters said they do not run their generator and rooftop air conditioners while driving. Is there a reason for not running them while driving? I'm curious because when it's hot and we are traveling we run the generator and rooftop AC. It cools us off while traveling and when we get to our destination we are already cool. In 100 degree heat it would take us forever to cool off if the AC's weren't already cooling the unit while traveling.
Thanks,
Well it's just me and two cats. They seem to do fine with the roof vents open. One lays under the couch and one the passenger seat or the dash. I don't drive a lot in hot summer. I leave for Mazatlan in mid October and come back in mid April.

Just never seemed to do it. I was going to take a group from Minnesota to Detroit last year for a convention. Probably would have needed it for that. But it was canceled due to COVID so may never know.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:37 PM   #45

I was having the same problem with our previous coach which only had 2 A/C units. You could feel the heat as you were walking up the stairs into the coach. I had the windows tinted with 20% and my son took the front overhead cabinets apart and found there was ZERO insulation in the whole upper cap above the windshield so we insulated it and we had no problem cooling the coach after that. It was actually cool when walking in.
Digger29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
From what you've said the air conditioners look like they are doing their job. There is something called a design temp in any HVAC system. Air conditioning is designed to cool air a certain amount from the outside temperature. In the case of RVs I believe that is about 20 degrees. In your case you say that the outside air is 109 and the air inside the coach is in the low 90s. That's about right, maybe just a little short. You may pick up some additional efficiency by cleaning the AC units, but it probably won't be a lot I don't believe. You might also try sealing the interiior of the units with some foil tape. There are a couple of videos on youtube about this, one of them by Changing Lanes. I think maybe you need to adjust your expectations as to what the air conditioners can accomplish or maybe try and add a third AC unit. Good luck.
That is incorrect! The air conditioner Delta of close to 20įF is the difference between inside air temperature and the chilled air exiting the air conditioner.
This means the chilled air is always ~20į lower than the return air to the air conditioner. As the inside air temperature drops so does the chilled air temperature to maintain that 20į Delta.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:26 PM   #47

Seems like every poster that had the TV and front cabinets out there was about 6" gap to top of cap where only one 14" batt of R-11 poorly fitted up to bottom the cabinets. These front cabinet boxes usually have way to remove them fairly easily with screws. Every bit helps. Mine is on my to do list, had a lot of cabinet boxes out but wanted cut to fit fresh 22" batt of R-13 maybe some reflectex as well, but was way past 9:00pm. Next time.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:42 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Seems like every poster that had the TV and front cabinets out there was about 6" gap to top of cap where only one 14" batt of R-11 poorly fitted up to bottom the cabinets. These front cabinet boxes usually have way to remove them fairly easily with screws. Every bit helps. Mine is on my to do list, had a lot of cabinet boxes out but wanted cut to fit fresh 22" batt of R-13 maybe some reflectex as well, but was way past 9:00pm. Next time.
Our 2015 Itasca 36G didn't have a TV up there but like I said in my earlier post it had the cabinets all the way across the upper front portion above the windshield. I honestly would've never known about the insulation issue but I helped a buddy install our Wingard Travler and the spot marked by Winnebago to have access to the satellite wires was right above the front cabinets on the roof. When he drilled the hole I could see there no insulation in there. So me and my son took the thin wood felt covered backing off of all the cabinets and insulated the entire front cap which made a huge difference on the heat coming in. I also could feel a lot of heat in our bathroom on those very days so I went up on the roof and painted the shower skylight with automotive smoke taillight paint. It didn't black it out completely, it just smoked it so light still came through but it solved the high heat feeling when in the bathroom when it was above 95 degrees outside. Those 2 easy mods definitely made cooling and keeping the coach cool on those 95+ degree days.
Digger29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner