Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #1

Air Dryer location

I have a 2013 Fleetwood Expedition sitting on a Freightliner xcm chassis and I am looking for the air dryer. According to the Freightliner maintenance manual it looks to be two different systems one is a Bendix ad9 and the other a haldex purest. I did call Freightliner and they said it has a a d - 9 system and the air dryer is located driver side in front of the rear axle. Unfortunately I cannot find it and questioned whether or not it is in that area. Any help locating Air dryer would be appreciated
FLavionics is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 12:31 PM   #2

Mine dryer is in front of the rear axle close to the floor. I have air leveling so when I have it changed, will be taking it in because the need to dump the air to change it.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just fyi, here's the Built On Freightliner info for your coach which does confirm that you should have a Bendix AD-9 air dryer.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #4

Oh thanks Chris, I see that I also have the automatic moisture ejector which was another question I had.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Can you follow the air line from the compressor, goes right to the dryer.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:51 PM   #6

Finally located the AD-9 Air Dryer, it is actually behind the rear axle next to the short drive shaft not in front as Freightliner advised. I took Hooligans advise and traced the supply from the air compressor however this was a little more difficult then expected as the line tucks behind the engine. Had I known the purge valve was located on the bottom of the air dryer it would of been simple to locate just by watching the purge when the air pressure builds to max.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
For whatever reason, Freightliner finds it necessary to BURY the air dryer up in the frame rails. I'm sure it's very accessible and looks great to them on a bare chassis, but once you put a coach body on, it's almost impossible to access.

On my 2014 Dutch Star, they installed the air dryer on the frame rail near the duals, but with the coach body on, you couldn't remove to the cover to access the filter. I found that it was easier, not really a good word for it, but easier to remove the entire assembly and do the filter replacement on the workbench.

I've been servicing my own vehicles for 45 years and this was one of the hardest jobs I've ever encountered (at least on my chassis). You need 4' arms to reach the darn thing. I asked my local Freightliner shop how much they would charge. They wanted $400.00, just in labor.

I checked my new 2019 coach, bad news.....they still put it in the same spot. Good news....for 2109, they went with a Wabco spin on. Hopefully, they left enugh room to spin it off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
For whatever reason, Freightliner finds it necessary to BURY the air dryer up in the frame rails. I'm sure it's very accessible and looks great to them on a bare chassis, but once you put a coach body on, it's almost impossible to access.

On my 2014 Dutch Star, they installed the air dryer on the frame rail near the duals, but with the coach body on, you couldn't remove to the cover to access the filter. I found that it was easier, not really a good word for it, but easier to remove the entire assembly and do the filter replacement on the workbench.

I've been servicing my own vehicles for 45 years and this was one of the hardest jobs I've ever encountered (at least on my chassis). You need 4' arms to reach the darn thing. I asked my local Freightliner shop how much they would charge. They wanted $400.00, just in labor.

I checked my new 2019 coach, bad news.....they still put it in the same spot. Good news....for 2109, they went with a Wabco spin on. Hopefully, they left enugh room to spin it off.
Did you have a "quick Release" line on your Air Dryer? If so did it give you ant problems releasing?

Tags
air, cat