Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Air fitting

Hi on the rear of my diesel motor home with air brakes I have a fitting for an air hose . I figure this was for activating the brakes on the toad am I correct?. If so what goes in the toad to press on the brake pedal , is this a good braking system? Thanks
Supertoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are probably correct as I use the air fitting on ours for our BrakeMaster by RoadMaster. It offers true proportional braking and is very convenient to hook up and use. Just google BrakeMaster and it should take you to the RoadMaster website. There is a bracket that fits in the floorboard the brake cylinder pins to and the piston end of the cylinder has a clamp that fits on the brake pedal.

burfurd
Old 08-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
It might be for a braking system on the toad, or it could be a place for a tow truck to air up the suspension and brakes for towing. You could check by attaching an air hose and see if it only blows air when brakes are applied. If for airing up the system, a check valve should prevent air coming out at all times, even when RV brakes are applied.

Two good air powered toad braking systems:

Air Force One

M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertoolie View Post
Hi on the rear of my diesel motor home with air brakes I have a fitting for an air hose . I figure this was for activating the brakes on the toad am I correct?. If so what goes in the toad to press on the brake pedal , is this a good braking system? Thanks
Well Sir,
First off, just to be sure that your intuitions on whether or not that air fitting IS for toad brakes or not, I'd do a bit of investigation. Either follow that air line to it's source or, you could simply plug an air tool into it and, if, just if, it's an air line for airing up tires etc, it "should" have air present all the time and will run whatever tool you plug into it, until you run out of air.

Or, if it is in fact for a braking system on a toad, and you plug an air tool into it, you WON'T have air present, even with full tanks. But, you will have air present if, you have someone with an air blow gun or tool, stuck in that fitting and, apply the brakes in the coach.

If that's the case, yep, you got air for a air activated braking system on a toad. There are two systems that I'm aware of. One, is the one I use and personally, I think is the best on the market for a couple of reasons. It's called the M & G Braking system. There unit, is installed in between the master cylinder and the power brake unit. It is installed basically permanently.

You NEVER have to remove or hook up anything to the brake pedal in the toad. Second, due to the way that system works, your toads brake pedal is NEVER pressed. It sits there idle, while the brake system works on the toad. What does that mean you ask? It's of prime importance if, you use your toads tail lights as towing/toad brake and running lights. You see, in many toads, when the brakes are applied, even with the key off, your brake lights are activated. In quite a few, they are not activated.

So, if you have your toad setup for using it's stock tail light bulbs as toad bulbs, and, your toads brake system activates the brake lights and your key is OFF, if you DO NOT have a towing brake system that applies the brakes WITHOUT applying the brake pedal, that's a serious plus. Hope you see what I mean.

The second air system, I think is called SMI or, maybe Airforce 1, uses a small cylinder that is attached to the brake pedal. Not really sure since I've never looked into it but, memory says it's something like that. Others will chime in with more accuracy.

In any case, I'd check it out via the methods I've suggested so that you're dead sure that air fitting has a specific purpose. Good luck and please report back on what you find.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

Yes, I have M&G also... The best for many reasons.
http://m-gengineering.com
pplwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If its on the back, it is almost surely for toad brakes. Whether it's for Brakemaster, M&G, or another brand will require more investigation.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:06 PM   #7

Thats what it is ,it for the toad brakes thanks for the info
Supertoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air