Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 10:54 PM   #1

Arrow Air horn fix--where is the air line?

Air horns are probably one of the most unreliable parts of a diesel pusher or class A motorhome. I have a 1993 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser. I've managed to narrow down my problem...I spent hours trying to find the solenoid before realizing it was removed! I found the wiring for it and a CLEAR/transparent air line going TO the horn. Well I cannot seem to find the end that would come from the compressor.

There is a switch to turn on and off the air horn, it's working I think (tested voltage), the connectors for the solenoid are getting 12 volts when I press the steering wheel horn. There is a clear air line that goes up to the horn on the roof. I haven't tracked it all the way up there, but I do see it through some of the panels going to the roof. It comes down to the steering column near the brake pedal to where the solenoid should be, but there is no line going to the compressor or some sort of junction. I see red air lines going to the parking brake valve, and two small black lines going to the compressor tank guages. But I can't seem to find where all these lines meet up together in the cabin. Is there somewhere I should be looking? I haven't ripped the dash apart yet but before I do, wondering if there is a good place to start, but also wondering where the other clear air line should be. It doesn't make sense that it was cut and no other end can be found.

I can see one of the black lines (which I'm pretty sure feeds the air guages on the cluster, it goes through the floor into the electrical box below the driver. It looks like the clear air horn line was supposed to go through there as well (through the floor and into the electrical box), but there is no clear line in the electrical box where it would have been cut. The black line that goes down there goes into the electrical box, then out into the generator area, then along the frame/chassis back to the air tanks I imagine. Where was this clear air horn line plugged in in the first place?

Summary: Clear air line likely goes up to the air horn. Two wires must connect to solenoid (tested voltage when horn pressed). But where is the other end of the clear air line? The black line goes to the air tank gauges on the gauge cluster, and goes through the floor into electrical box, out into the chassis near the generator then along the frame. Where would the clear line go? I cannot find anything (haven't torn up the cabin/dashboard yet though).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked4_LI.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	333.5 KB
ID:	332997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked7 annotated_LI.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	480.7 KB
ID:	332998  

DarkVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine is in the front drivers side compartment high up on the front. The line comes from under the dash.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #3

Since my solenoid was completely removed and the air hose to the horn itself is plugged into nothing, I'm assuming the "other end" of the line (the line that went from the air tank to the solenoid) has been removed completely (otherwise the air tank would just drain).

Is there usually some sort of device/junction point where the parking brake valve plugs into? The trouble I'm having at this point is finding this "thing" where I can "tap" into the air tank. I'm hoping it's under the dash somewhere but I haven't been able to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
Mine is in the front drivers side compartment high up on the front. The line comes from under the dash.
Does yours have this junction point that has a bunch of air lines going into it?

Also the fact that mine is clear makes me believe it's not very well suited for high psi...I don't want to plug this into my air tank and have it tear or fall out and then...no air in the system...
Old 06-23-2021, 08:47 AM   #4

I would be worried about clear non braided pvc hose as well you could probably get ratings on McMaster Carr. Even if braided clamps on clear hoses are iffy ,to do right should be like compressed type fitting like toilet or sink hoses.
Should be DOT tubing and fittings IMHO as its attached to your air system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
Since my solenoid was completely removed and the air hose to the horn itself is plugged into nothing, I'm assuming the "other end" of the line (the line that went from the air tank to the solenoid) has been removed completely (otherwise the air tank would just drain).

Is there usually some sort of device/junction point where the parking brake valve plugs into? The trouble I'm having at this point is finding this "thing" where I can "tap" into the air tank. I'm hoping it's under the dash somewhere but I haven't been able to find it.

Does yours have this junction point that has a bunch of air lines going into it?

Also the fact that mine is clear makes me believe it's not very well suited for high psi...I don't want to plug this into my air tank and have it tear or fall out and then...no air in the system...
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #5

If they removed the solenoid, perhaps an independent air tank and pump was also.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I would be worried about clear non braided pvc hose as well you could probably get ratings on McMaster Carr. Even if braided clamps on clear hoses are iffy ,to do right should be like compressed type fitting like toilet or sink hoses.
Should be DOT tubing and fittings IMHO as its attached to your air system.
Yeah when I saw the clear hose I thought that probably isn't good, especially knowing it's connected to the main air tanks. Another user mentioned it is possible there was a separate tank/compressor for it...but for an older motorhome is that likely? I've also seen videos of similar Scenic Cruisers where they fix the air horn, there was no separate compressor. But the junction is near the steering wheel and the air line to the horn is black (not clear), so there were some differences.

I might just purchase one of those inexpensive compressors from Amazon and connect it to where the solenoid was. My only concern there is that it won't be powerful enough to make much of a sound, and that the solenoid wires aren't rated for the current which would be required for any sort of compressor (even if it is not that powerful). Would this be an issue? The horn would only use current in short bursts obviously. Has anyone done this before with an existing air horn on a motorhome?
Old 06-24-2021, 08:56 PM   #7

The more I think about it After the solenoid may not be a huge deal if hose it was OEM might not a lot of back pressure and you can just stop pushing horn if it burst the hose. You should be able to find the port the air tube was and run up front . Use some new DOT tubing to a 12v solenoid.
You have plenty of air from DP otherwise you will need an air tank for remote compressor for air horns I imagine a couple gallons for a few second blast.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
The more I think about it After the solenoid may not be a huge deal if hose it was OEM might not a lot of back pressure and you can just stop pushing horn if it burst the hose. You should be able to find the port the air tube was and run up front . Use some new DOT tubing to a 12v solenoid.
You have plenty of air from DP otherwise you will need an air tank for remote compressor for air horns I imagine a couple gallons for a few second blast.
What about those little 12v compressors for those cheap 30 dollar air horn kits? It probably isn't fantastic but it would do the job...I'd just connect the compressor to the connection where the solenoid was. I do worry though that those little wires might not be able to handle the current from the compressor...but it's only for a few seconds at a time. But anyways, they have no tanks, and they make enough pressure for few second blasts (from what I've seen on youtube).
Old 06-25-2021, 12:03 AM   #9

I've found that air horns are very reliable. Yours just has the plumbing intentionally messed up.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I've found that air horns are very reliable. Yours just has the plumbing intentionally messed up.
Seems like it. Don't know if I feel comfortable plugging this back into the air system, knowing the piping doesn't look too good. I plugged in a very small 12v tire inflator into the piping and turned it on...no noise...but I'm thinking the compressor was too weak. (Though if it's strong enough to inflate a tire, why wouldn't it at least make some noise?)

Again I've seen videos of people installing those 30 dollar compressors/air horns and it seems loud enough. I feel that might work...anyone tried it before?
Old 06-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
My Hadley horns worked better after I removed the rear housing on the horns and cleaned it out.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wait just a second...
My water pump has been worked at least 12 times. My air horns, never. Replaced water pump.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
Seems like it. Don't know if I feel comfortable plugging this back into the air system, knowing the piping doesn't look too good. I plugged in a very small 12v tire inflator into the piping and turned it on...no noise...but I'm thinking the compressor was too weak. (Though if it's strong enough to inflate a tire, why wouldn't it at least make some noise?)

Again I've seen videos of people installing those 30 dollar compressors/air horns and it seems loud enough. I feel that might work...anyone tried it before?
Most all air horns require a minimum of .25 CF per second. ref: https://stevenengineering.com/pdf/16OWS_C.pdf
The air supply line is never open all the time, the air solenoid opens/closes as signaled by the 12V supply wiring.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Most all air horns require a minimum of .25 CF per second. ref: https://stevenengineering.com/pdf/16OWS_C.pdf
The air supply line is never open all the time, the air solenoid opens/closes as signaled by the 12V supply wiring.
Yeah, so even if the tubing to the horn bursts, the solenoid isn't open. So hopefully I get a reliable, safe solenoid valve that won't bust open

Once I can find the air distribution/junction box (which I'm assuming is connected to the parking brake valve and is somewhere in the cabin), will there be some sort of unused air valve coming from this air distribution box? and I'd just plug in some hose into that, and then into the solenoid, then into the horn.

Will tear up the dashboard an interior paneling tomorrow...hopefully I don't have to dig too much!

Tags
air, horn