Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I am the driver and I have never used the air horns because my wife says they might scare someone into driving off the road. She doesn't like loud noises of any kind. She would rather have me slow down and let someone finish cutting in front of us. So I guess that I would have to say, "honey, can I blow them now?" Happy travels, Joe
Yup, they work!! If by using them when I have no other lane to pull into, I can prevent having to lock down my brakes and throw God knows what all over my coach because some no driving idiot wants to pull out in front of my MH traveling 62 mph on an interstate highway at a speed of 25 without bothering to even look, so be it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #16

I was able to check the switch out with an ohm meter. All was ok there. All power to and from checked out with a test light. I found the solenoid and tried to activate it with a seperate 12v source since I was working by myself and couldn't check the wires with a test light upon button activation. I was unable to get the solenoid to activate. I ordered one on line at superior horns. I will be pulling the ole girl out of storage the middle of March for our Florida trip, and I plan to replace it then with a few other last minute repairs. I will let everyone know if that fixes the issue. This Pennsylvania weather is killing me.....c'mon March and Florida roadtrip!
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was a service manager for a large gulfstream dealer. most of the time, the problem was in the solonoid. moisture in the airline corrodes the piston in the solonoid. the solonoid is in the electrical compartment, which is the first compartment on the outside left side. first check the ground. if ok, jump a hotwire to the hot side of the solonoid. if the horn blows, the problem is in the wiring between the horn button and the solooid. if it does not blow, the solonoid is bad. rarely the horns are bad. you can check this by disconnecting the air line at the bottom of the solonoid and check for airflow when the solonoid is energized.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:42 AM   #18

Everyone who had solenoid is correct. The weather this past weekend finally allowed me to get some repair time in. Thanks for the advice!
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #19

Good morning, I have a 97 Monaco Dynasty with HADLEY H00981 Air Horns installed and they are not working. I have not been able to determine where everything is located (solenoid or air source). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jim
JimSyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
The biggest problem we had with them, was the solonoid. When you press the button, it opens the solonoid and lets the air flow. these solonoids seize up because of the moisture from the compressor. Of course i am assuming the comporessor is working.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #21

Hadley Air Horn Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
The biggest problem we had with them, was the solonoid. When you press the button, it opens the solonoid and lets the air flow. these solonoids seize up because of the moisture from the compressor. Of course i am assuming the comporessor is working.
Thanks GA! I finally found the solenoid, it was located above the generator slide out, pulled it off and took it apart. It was completely frozen with what I will call calcium deposits. I cleaned it up with some 400 grit wet sand paper and put it back together. Now they work, I woke up the whole neighborhood this morning once I got them fixed!!! I've attached a pic of the solenoid for anyone else who might need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0354.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	12180  
JimSyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker View Post
you might check the ground, it took me almost a year, before i found out that it was just a loose ground..
Hi, I was just reading this post....where is the ground located? Thanks.

Keith
2000 National Tradewinds