Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2016, 05:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewacowboy View Post
I purchased the Viair 450P and absolutely love it. I can top off the tow vehicle tires (22.5 inch) in less than 30 minutes and all four coach tires in less than 10!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought one of these as well. Works great, compact, has bag to carry everything, stores well too. In addition though I also bought these 2 items:

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have the space I think this is the ultimate setup..

https://youtu.be/_62Sc1ghnxI
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
If an axle is loaded to full capacity and 100 psi is called fine but if the axle is not at full capacity and calls for 80 psi as per tire charts and you still inflate to 100 psi, you will get a rough ride and uneven wear. Have the laws of physics changed or the tire manufacturers worried about law suits.
Name one tire manufacturer that recommends running less than the vehicle mfgrs federal tire placard.
Read the Goodyear and Michelin websites, where you find they state to never inflate to less than the tire placard.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Name one tire manufacturer that recommends running less than the vehicle mfgrs federal tire placard.
Read the Goodyear and Michelin websites, where you find they state to never inflate to less than the tire placard.

Here is a statement from the Michelin RV Tire brochure:

PRESSURE REQUIREMENT
The amount of pressure required in each tire depends on the weight of the fully loaded vehicle. So the RV owners cannot determine the tire’s correct pressure unless they know their vehicle’s actual weights. The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold inflation pressure needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall. The lower the pressure, the lower the load that the tire can carry. A complete load and inflation table is availableatwww.michelinrvtires.com;MICHELIN® RV Tires: Guide For Proper Use and Maintenance and RV Tire Information – MWL43146; and the MICHELIN® Truck Tire Data Book – MWL40731.

This seems to endorse inflation of tire to match the load.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #19

Air Hose for Tires

Bought an NPT adapter and 50' hose for filling my 110 PSI Michelins using the compressed air coupling in the generator compartment of my 34QS Birkshire. Works great and no need to pump the brakes. My concern for others is the location of the compressed air... I do have a LP GAS connector in the basement and thought that was the Compressed Air source... at first glance it is logical until you see the black pipe and know it is a GAS LINE, not a compressed air line. Be safe and verify before pumping LP into your tires! KB
Alt-Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

PRESSURE REQUIREMENT
The amount of pressure required in each tire depends on the weight of the fully loaded vehicle. So the RV owners cannot determine the tire’s correct pressure unless they know their vehicle’s actual weights. The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold inflation pressure needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall. The lower the pressure, the lower the load that the tire can carry. A complete load and inflation table is availableatwww.michelinrvtires.com;MICHELIN® RV Tires: Guide For Proper Use and Maintenance and RV Tire Information – MWL43146; and the MICHELIN® Truck Tire Data Book – MWL40731.

Have you checked the date of that publication. The more recent ones state to not go below the manufactures sticker.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Have you checked the date of that publication. The more recent ones state to not go below the manufactures sticker.

The date is 2015.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
air for tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I made one of the tools suggested to use the on board air. Used it a few times then gave it up. Here's the way I do it now, much easier:

Porter-Cable 6 Gal. 150 PSI Portable Air Compressor-C2002 - The Home Depot__
---------------------------------------
X2. Works great. Great price.
Cessnapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #23

Tire pressures are determined based on your coach weights.

I just recently weighed my 2016 Winnie and verifed every step via phone with a Michelin service representative. These are my coach weights and the Michelin pressure chart for my tires we went off of.

Currently my rear tires pressures are set at 78psi and my fronts at 70psi based on the weights of my coach.

If you over presssure your tires, they will wear faster in the center and make the ride stiffer while having less tread (control) on the road.

I could tell right away after my adjustments that the tires sat better on the road while even having alittle bulge on the sides. Michelin said that was normal as well.

Better handling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161010_164630.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	144832   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160922_171740.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	144833  

Old 11-21-2016, 02:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post

PRESSURE REQUIREMENT

Since we're talking about truck/RV tires, and quoting what Michelin says; This is quoted from the Michelin truck tire warranty, pg 7:
"
The placard indicates the minimum inflation pressures which
must be maintained. However, do not exceed the maximum
inflation pressure for the tire or for the wheel on which it is
mounted."
Load/inflation charts display the minimum air pressure for the corresponding load, not the optimum.
FWIW, over 80% of all tire failures are the result of underinflation/overloading per the Tire and Rubber Association.
Anyone thinking me wrong, please visit your local Michelin dealer and ask if they will give you a written statement saying it's OK to run less air pressure than listed on the federal tire placard in the vehicle.
When said statement is forthcoming, and published here, I will apologize and admit my ignorance.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Since we're talking about truck/RV tires, and quoting what Michelin says; This is quoted from the Michelin truck tire warranty, pg 7:
"
The placard indicates the minimum inflation pressures which
must be maintained. However, do not exceed the maximum
inflation pressure for the tire or for the wheel on which it is
mounted."
Load/inflation charts display the minimum air pressure for the corresponding load, not the optimum.
FWIW, over 80% of all tire failures are the result of underinflation/overloading per the Tire and Rubber Association.
Anyone thinking me wrong, please visit your local Michelin dealer and ask if they will give you a written statement saying it's OK to run less air pressure than listed on the federal tire placard in the vehicle.
When said statement is forthcoming, and published here, I will apologize and admit my ignorance.
There's no need to admit any ignorance.

There are many threads available here at IRV2 that can back up "tire pressures versus weights" but a simple call to Michelin yourself will resolve your mental AND your checkbook.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:18 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I second the question: What is your rig's air pressure (In the brake system)

Page 2: how to air up the tires. Stop going to gas stations, Go to Truck stops. Most feed 150PSI to the hose.

Option 2: I'm only 50 miles NORTH of FL, I have 150 PSI beside me.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Michelin to name one. The tire placard inside the coach lists the tire pressures for the max gross weight of the coach. Most of us do not load our coaches to the max so running the listed psi from the placard = over inflation.

My placard suggests 100 psi for the front tires but Michelin suggests a much lower pressure reflective of the actual weight of each corner. This completely contradicts what you are saying so whos right and whos wrong hmm.

Keep in mind that the placard psi cordinates with the gross weight and therefore they must be suggesting that you do not go lower then the listed psi unless you weigh less then the listed weight.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires